Gordon Ramsay’s beef stew is not your regular beef stew. This beef stew is made with beef, vegetables, herbs, and ale. The ale is used to deglaze and add an edge to the stew. The mustard dumplings make for a fulfilling addition.
I love how Gordon Ramsay takes a recipe we think we know and gives it a total makeover. No way am I going to my old ways of making beef stew! The dumplings not only add volume but also add taste to the stew.
To make Gordon Ramsay’s beef stew, heat oil in a casserole and cook beef in it. Then, add vegetables, herbs, ale, puree, and stock to it. Cover it and cook for 2 ½ hours in the oven. In a bowl, mix flour, suet, salt, pepper, and water to make a dough. Make small balls from this dough. Add these dumplings to the stew and cook the stew for another 25 minutes.
This is only a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below.
Gordon Ramsay’s Beef Stew Recipe
- Large Oven-Safe Casserole
- 700 g Beef Chunks
- 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 2 Carrots (peeled, sliced)
- 150 g Baby Shallots (peeled, chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic (peeled, finely chopped)
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 500 ml Ale
- 3 teaspoons Tomato Puree
- 300 ml Beef Stock
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 150℃. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Then, dust it with flour.
- In a large casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Cook the beef in it until the beef turns brown.
- Then, add carrots, shallots, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves to it.
- Add some ale to deglaze and scrape. Then. Add the puree and the stock to it. Stir it for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover it with a lid and place the casserole in the oven. Cook it for about 2 and a half hours.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, suet, salt, pepper, and mustard in a bowl. Add warm water to it and mix to make a dough.
- Make small balls from this dough.
- Then, take the stew out of the oven and increase the temperature of the oven to 180℃.
- Place the dumplings in the stew and cover it with the lid. Cook it in the oven for 25 minutes more.
- Your beef stew with mustard dumplings is ready.