I love Gordon Ramsay’s recipes, especially the unique twists he brings to classic recipes. One of the recipes that he has simplified is for apple pie. Gordon Ramsay’s apple pie is made with a sugary and buttery pastry with a spicy and sweet apple filling. You can make this pie for a great Christmas feast or just for a weekday dinner; it works for both.
The pastry, when baked, becomes flaky and golden. The filling is made with caramelized apples and has a strong aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon. The apples are caramelized in butter that makes them tender and you can easily disintegrate them into a puree.
I found the process of making this pie rather therapeutic. There is a different kind of satisfaction that comes with making your own pie pastry. The filling is also simple to make and the aroma of caramelized apple mixed with spices and sugar fills your kitchen. There is a video in the end so you can see for yourself what I am talking about. But first, check out some other recipes from the Chef’s delight.
1. Gordon Ramsay’s Sausage Spaghetti– Gordon Ramsay’s sausage spaghetti is creamy, spicy and loaded with meat. This delicious pasta has chili and pepper for hotness but is balanced out by the cream. This is the recipe for a great dinner.
2. Gordon Ramsay’s Carbonara– Gordon Ramsay’s carbonara is a delicious pasta with bacon, mushrooms, peas and a creamy sauce. The pasta is garnished with fresh parsley and served with freshly grated parmesan.
3. Gordon Ramsay’s Mushroom Pasta– Gordon Ramsay’s mushroom pasta is an unusual recipe. He uses lasagna sheets that make the pasta delicious and satisfying. The creamy pasta is served with crunchy garlic bruschetta.
4. Gordon Ramsay’s Turkey Wellington– Gordon Ramsay’s turkey wellington is the perfect dish for a feast. The wellington is layered with golden puff pastry, soft crepes, meaty stuffing and juicy turkey. Serve it with cranberry sauce and gravy and enjoy your amazing dinner.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Pie?
For The Pie Pastry
- Food Processor- You’ll need the food processor to prep the dough.
- Bowl- Once the dough is kneaded and rolled, you need to put it in a large bowl to refrigerate it.
- Rolling Pin- The pin comes in handy when we have to do the rolling we talked about.
- Plastic Wrap- You don’t want your pie crust to harden in the refrigerator, so cover it with plastic wrap.
For The Filling
- 2 Large Bowls- One large bowl to mix the apples with sugar-spice mixture and one to store the caramelized apples.
- Medium Bowl- Mix the sugar, spice, and everything nice in this bowl. (Just another Powerpuff Girls reference for you to enjoy. Cheers!)
- Peeler and Knife– You need to peel, core, and quarter the apples. This is where this duo comes in handy.
- Wooden Spatula and Spoons– Do the stirring, filling, and mixing with these two.
- Non-Stick Frying Pan- A non-stick frying pan seems the right choice to caramelize the apples.
For The Pie
- 8-Inch Pie Pan– The 8-inch pie pan makes an 8 slice pie.
- Oven- Bake the pie to a golden perfection in the oven.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Pie?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Pie?
For The Pie Pastry
- Butter- Butter makes the pastry flaky and light.
- Sugar- Sugar gives it a sweet taste and a glaze.
- Flour- Flour is the MC (main constituent) of every pastry.
- Egg- Egg acts as the binding agent and also adds richness to the pastry.
For The Filling
- Apples- It’d be a bit weird if you make apple pie without apples. So, use them.
- Sugar- The sugar adds sweetness to the pie and helps caramelize the apples.
- Butter- You need the butter to caramelize the apples as well.
- Nutmeg and Cinnamon- This spice duo gives the pie a sweet and spicy aroma that goes perfectly with the caramelized apples.
- Egg Yolk- Mix the egg yolks with a little bit of water to make the egg wash for the pastry.
Steps To Make Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Pie
1. For The Pie Crust
To make the pie crust, add your sugar and butter to the food processor. Pulse it until it makes a crumbly mixture. Then, add the eggs to it and mix for half a minute. When the egg is combined, add the flour to it and mix until a rough dough is formed.
Take this roughly formed dough on a flour-dusted surface and knead it with your hands. Add a teaspoon of cold water to it and knead it until a smooth dough is formed.
2. Roll It And Chill It
After you have made a smooth dough, roll it out and then place it in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and then put the dough in the refrigerator to chill for half an hour.
3. For The Filling
Take a large bowl and add the apple chunks to it. Mix the sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon and add it to the bowl with apples. Toss it, so the apples get covered with the sugar and spice mixture. Now, melt butter in a non-stick frying pan and add this mixture to it. Cook until the apples get caramelized. It’d be better if you cooked the apples in two batches.
4. Make That Pie!
Take the chilled pastry out of the refrigerator and roll it to a thickness of ⅛ inch. Cut it in a round shape, just a little larger than the pie pan. Line the pie pan with the pastry and press it firmly. Cut the top pastry in the same way so that it is a little bigger than the pie pan.
Put the filling in the pie pan and cover it with the top crust. Make small cuts in the pie and bake it in a preheated oven for 40 minutes until it looks golden. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes. Then, serve a slice topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
|Saturated Fat||4.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
How Will Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Pie Look And Taste Like?
The apple pie looks golden, flaky, and crispy. The top crust looks glazed because of the sugar and the egg wash. The pie has a strong taste of sugar and smells of nutmeg and cinnamon. Top it with whipped cream to turn it into ala mode apple pie.
Gordon Ramsay’s Apple Pie
For Pie Pastry
- 1 ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 7 tablespoons White Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Egg
For The Apple Filling
- 3 lbs. Apples (peeled, cored, and cut into big chunks)
- ½ cup White Sugar (plus some more)
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk (mixed with 2 teaspoons of Water)
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly gated)
For The Pie Pastry
- In a food processor, add sugar and butter and mix until combined.
- Then, add the egg and mix for another 30 seconds.
- After that, add the flour until a dough is roughly formed.
- Then, place it on a flour-dusted surface and add about 2 teaspoons of cold water to it. Knead it with your hands until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll the dough to make it flat and smooth. Cover the pastry dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour before using it.
For The Filling
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar.
- Put the apple chunk in a large bowl and add the sugar-spice mixture to it. Toss it to cover the apples with it.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, melt half of the butter and add half of the apple chunks. Cook the apples on high heat for about 5-6 minutes until they are brown and caramelized. Place them in a bowl and repeat the same with the remaining butter and apples. Transfer them to the bowl with the apples and allow them to cool down.
For The Apple Pie
- Prep the oven by preheating it to 375°F.
- Take out the pie pastry from the refrigerator and roll it until it is about ⅛ inch thick.
- Place an 8-inch pie pan on top of the pastry dough and cut the pastry a little bigger than the pan.
- Line the pie pan with the pastry and press it firmly. If you see irregular edges or extra dough, cut it off.
- Roll out the remaining pastry dough into a circle a bit larger than the pie pan to make the top crust.
- When you are done with the pastry dough, fill the apple mixture in the pastry. Then, cover it up with the top crust. You can seal the edges by brushing them slightly with water and then pressing them down.
- Brush the top crust with an egg wash. This glazes the pastry golden and adds a bit of moisture. Make small cuts to the top crust to let the pie breath and to let the steam out.
- Place the pie pan in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes until the top crust looks beautifully golden.
- Take it out and let it rest for about 20 minutes before serving.
- After that, cut out a slice and serve it with either ice cream or whipped cream.
So, this is it about this Gordon Ramsay’s apple pie ala mode. This delicious pie is a great ending to a hearty meal. Do try to make it and tell me in the comments how well you liked it.