Cornbread is one of those staples from the Southern United States. Well, I wouldn’t blame them for making it such a big thing, as golden sweet cornbread is absolutely impeccable! Want to ditch store-bought cornbread and make some from scratch? Then read this article till the end to know the entire recipe!
Golden Sweet cornbread is just a little sweeter than some other varieties that you may have tried before. But trust me, the sweetness actually enhances the flavor of this little baked good to a whole new extent! In fact, so much that this bread is extremely versatile and can be served and used in so many different ways! But more on that later!
Here, I know that some of you may think it is a huge task to make cornbread at home and that too from scratch. But honestly, it really isn’t! It is actually one of the easiest things that you could ever bake from scratch! Yes, easier than simple cookies or puddings too!
Don’t let the ‘bread’ in the name fool you, as this actually will be ready in a jiffy, as compared to regular bread. Moreover, store-bought cornbread, or for that matter, even premixes, end up giving a final product that can be extremely dry and mealy, which is surely not worth the money at all!
Here, just with a few extra added steps and ingredients, you can easily make a moist and delicious one at home! So, you will find a complete guide on how to make this Southern delicacy at home, from the equipment to the ingredients and method. So, ready to explore this recipe? Let us get into it right away, then!
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- Salt Crusted Turkey
- Apple Cider Brined Turkey
- BBQ Turkey
- Turkey Sandwich
- Turkey Melt
- Hot Turkey Sandwich
- Turkey And Cheese Sandwich
- Grandma’s Cranberry Sauce
- Grandma’s Corn Pudding
- Turkey Carcass Soup
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Golden Sweet Cornbread?
- Measuring Cups – First and foremost, the precision of ingredients is key when it comes to baking. So, you will need a set of measuring cups to get a proper and precise measurement of all the ingredients needed.
- Measuring Spoons – For some of the ingredients that are needed in much smaller quantities, you will also need a precise measurement, and hence, measuring spoons will be handy.
- Bowl – You will need two large bowls for this recipe, one to measure and sift the dry ingredients and the other one for the wet ingredients.
- Sieve – To make sure that the batter of the cornbread does not have any lumps, you will need a large sieve to sift all the dry ingredients first.
- Whisk – You will need a large whisk to mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Spatula – A silicone spatula will be handy when it comes to transferring the batter from the mixing bowl to the baking pan.
- Cake Pan – You will need a large, round cake pan for this recipe, which is approximately 9 inches in diameter.
- Baking Tray – You will need a baking tray to place the cake pan on while you keep it in the oven to bake.
- Cooling Rack – Lastly, you will need a cooling rack to place the cornbread on once it is out of the oven for it to cool completely and thoroughly.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Golden Sweet Cornbread?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||25 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Golden Sweet Cornbread?
- All-Purpose Flour – Firstly, you will need a single cup of all-purpose flour to make this recipe, as just cornmeal will not work that well. This much flour will help you get 12 portions of cornbread. Do not use bread flour, cake flour, or even self-raising flour, for that matter.
- Cornmeal – It isn’t cornbread without cornmeal! For this recipe, you will need a single cup of the same.
- Sugar – As the name suggests, this version of cornbread is slightly sweet, so you will need ⅔ cups of white granulated sugar or caster sugar.
- Milk – Milk will help bring everything together in this recipe and will also help with the consistency and flavor, so you will need one cup of the same.
- Oil – Oil is the preferred fat added to this recipe, as it helps with moisture in the cornbread. You will need ⅓ cups of vegetable or any other oil that does not have a pungent smell or flavor.
- Egg – A single, large egg will be needed for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – The leavening agent in this recipe is baking powder, so you will need 3 ½ teaspoons of the same.
- Salt – Lastly, to help enhance all the flavors in this recipe, you will need a teaspoon of salt.
Steps To Make Golden Sweet Cornbread
Mise-en-Place, which means pre-preparations, is the first step in this recipe. The pre-preps are pretty simple. Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, lightly grease the cake tin with some oil and dust it with flour, just enough to cover it completely.
After that, sift the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and keep it aside. In a different bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, and milk until everything is combined. Your preparation is done!
2. Mix Together And Bake
This recipe is indeed so easy to put together that once your pre-preparations are done, you just need to assemble everything and bake! For that, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk them together until everything is well combined.
Transfer the batter into the greased cake tin, making sure all of it is used up. For this purpose, a silicone spatula will be needed as it will help you scrape the mixing bowl clean. Then, place the filled cake tin onto a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
At the 20-minute mark, poke the center of the bread with a skewer or a large toothpick, and if it comes out clean, your bread is ready. If not, bake it for five more minutes. Once the bread is out of the oven, place it on a cooling rack and let it cool down to room temperature, after which you can demould and serve!
How Can Golden Sweet Cornbread Be Served?
Although there actually are many ways in which this cornbread can be used and served. However, I have mentioned some of my favorite ways below for you to try.
- With Condiments – The best and easiest way to serve this cornbread is with a bunch of condiments like jams, hot honey, and even marmalade.
- With Chicken And Ribs – We all know that cornbread pairs exceptionally well with fried chicken and smoky barbecue ribs, and hence, this combination is perfect.
- On A Thanksgiving Spread – This particular recipe of cornbread also seems to work really well with turkey, cranberry sauce, gravy, and all the works on a Thanksgiving spread!
- As A Part Of Stuffing – You can also add this cornbread to a stuffing recipe to make it extra rich.
- With Breakfast – Lastly, this cornbread can be a part of the breakfast of your dreams as it pairs well with eggs, bacon, sausages, and much more!
|Saturated Fat||1 gram|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4 grams|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 grams|
|Trans Fats||0.04 grams|
|Vitamin A||33 micrograms|
What Will The Golden Sweet Cornbread Look And Taste Like?
Making cornbread at home is not as big a thing outside of the South as you may think it to be. So, in that case, I am sure that many of you will probably be making this bread for the first time while you try this recipe out. Don’t worry too much about anything, as I will tell you exactly what you should expect the final product to look and taste like.
When it comes to the way it is supposed to look, it will look like just any other cornbread. Those of you who regularly eat cornbread would know that the way this bread look is more like cake rather than bread, and that is exactly what you will get from this recipe too.
Moreover, the bread will be bouncy, and when you press the top gently, it should spring back. Coming to the flavor, although the name suggests ‘sweet,’ this recipe is not sickly sweet at all. The sweetness is minimal and very well balanced with the rest of the flavors, which is why this bread works with both sweet and savory accompaniments.
Golden Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 2/3 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 no. Egg
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease the cake tin with oil and dust it with flour, just enough for it to cover all the sides.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and keep aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk together egg, oil and milk until well combined.
- Add sifted flour mix to the wet ingredients and whisk together till well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the greased cake tin with the silicone spatula and place it on a baking tray.
- Bake the bread in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Poke the center of the bread with a skewer and if it comes out clean, your bread is ready, or else, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once done, place it on a cooling rack and let the bread cool completely.
- Take it out of the mould, slice and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why can’t bread flour be used to make this recipe?
Bread flour is not recommended for this recipe as it has a very high gluten content. This will give the cornbread a bready texture, which is not what it is actually supposed to be like.
Can self-raising flour be used in this recipe?
If you can’t find all-purpose flour, then you can use self-raising flour. However, you will have to reduce the amount of baking powder to half if you do so.
Can cornstarch be used for this recipe?
No, cornstarch is a thickening agent and should surely not be used for this recipe.
Can this cornbread be made in muffins or cupcake pans?
Yes, this cornbread can be made in muffins or cupcake pans if you want to make individual ones. But don’t forget to grease and dust those pans, too, before adding the batter.
Why is there no yeast in this recipe?
Although the name has ‘bread’ in it, cornbread is actually a type of quick bread and not regular bread. Hence, for quick bread, yeast is not used, but chemical leavening agents like baking powder are used instead.
How long can golden sweet cornbread be stored?
Golden sweet cornbread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for three days or the same way in a refrigerator for up to a week.
Soft, spongy, and mildly sweet, this cornbread is the perfect combination of flavors and textures. Moreover, the sweetness is mild yet out there, which makes this bread really versatile, and hence, it can be paired with a number of sweet and savory sides to make a complete meal!