The widely consumed meats in the world are beef, chicken, pork and goat meat. Today I thought to share a meat recipe that we rarely cooked in our kitchen, as it takes time to cook it tender. The recipe I will be sharing with you all is Goat stew. Good goat meat is a perfect meal with a perfect blend of flavors and spices. The goat stew that I will be sharing with you all today is a Filipino stew named Caldereta.
This goat stew originated in the Philippines. It is traditionally served on some occasions, pairing it with rice. You cannot only make this stew with goat meat. But you can do some variations with it using chicken, beef or pork instead of goat meat. A meat stew is a good healthy meal as it consists of vegetables and meat. It is a package of protein and nutrients.
I would like to have a bowl of stew after my busy day. It is definitely going to be my comfy meal for sure. Coming back to the recipe, let’s see how to prepare a stew in your kitchen with goat meat. Take a look at the ingredients first, followed by other necessary steps to follow to prepare this recipe. No more delays now; let’s proceed.
Ingredients for Goat Stew
- 1 pound Bone-In Goat Meat (cut in large chunks)
- ¼ cup Vinegar
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 4 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (1 cut in 1-inch squares)
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 Potato (peeled and cut in large chunks)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and cut in large chunks)
- ½ cup Green Peas
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
The ingredients required to prepare this dish are easy to find. Make a note of them and check in your pantry first before you head out. You might find most of them stocked up in there. If not, then do not worry as you can find them at any supermarket.
How Much Time It Will Take to Make Goat Stew?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|30 minutes||1 Hour 10 minutes||1 hour||2 hours 40 minutes|
You might feel it’s a difficult and time consuming recipe to make. Don’t stress out much as the time consuming part is to marinade the meat. The rest of the time is needed to cook the meat and make it tender. Meat takes time to get tender; this is the reason this recipe is a bit time consuming. Let’s see how to cook up this stew.
Steps to Make Goat Stew
- Take a large bowl and add goat meat to it with vinegar, garlic and soy sauce. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1-8 hours. I suggest you keep it for 6 hours to get the maximum flavors. Once done, remove the meat chunks from the marinade and pat-dry them using a paper towel. Reserve the leftover marinade.
- Tale a large pot and heat vegetable oil in it over medium-high flame. Add the meat chunks to it and cook till the meat turn brown. This will take 10-15 minutes. Keep the cooked meat aside.
- Now stir in onions, garlic cloves from the marinade and red bell peppers. Cook them over medium heat till the onions turn translucent. Add tomato sauce and bring the mixture to cook over a minimum flame. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat to this mixture and also the reserved marinade with beef stock. Bring this all to boil and cover it for 30-40 minutes till the meat gets tender. Add potatoes, carrots, peas with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook till the vegetables get cooked for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
You can even garnish the stew with some parsley and shredded cheese. Rice is paired best with it but you can also try it with bread. Or You can eat this like a semi-soupy meal itself.
Nutritional Breakdown of Goat Stew
How to Make Goat Stew at Home | Video
I’ve added a recipe video of goat stew below. After watching this video, it’ll be easier for you to follow these directions.
Make sure you try this recipe and share your reviews in the comment section below. I can’t wait to read your comments on how you like this recipe and your experiences while making it.