The bells of Christmas have already started ringing! Keeping the spirit of the holiday season in mind, we are here with one of the delicious and quick desserts; Gingerbread Muffins.
Gingerbread muffins are soft and warm desserts with a spicy flavor that can take away all the winter blues. These Christmassy muffins are easy to make, and you can store them in the refrigerator for weeks.
All you need to do is mix flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, milk, molasses, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Transfer them to muffin cups to bake. The recipe is super easy and delicious to enjoy in winter.
Without further delay, let’s directly dig into the recipe for gingerbread muffins. I’ll tell you about the equipment and the ingredients of the recipe. So keep reading!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Gingerbread Muffin?
- Oven – You’ll need an oven to bake the gingerbread muffin.
- Muffin Tin – To bake your muffins, you need to add the batter to muffin tins.
- Cooking Spray – You can spray the muffin tin with cooking spray to avoid sticking.
- Large Bowl – You will need two bowls to mix the ingredients.
- Whisk – A whisk will help to mix the ingredients.
- Muffin Cups – Add the prepared batter into muffin cups.
- Spoon – The spoon will help you to divide and transfer the batter.
- Toothpick – This little toothpick will help check whether the muffins are cooked.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Gingerbread Muffin?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||15 Minutes||25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Gingerbread Muffin?
- All-Purpose Flour – You will require all-purpose flour to prepare the dry mixture for the gingerbread muffin. The flour will bind all the ingredients together.
- Brown Sugar – Instead of regular white sugar, it is advised to add brown sugar.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – Baking soda and powder will act as a leavening agent.
- Salt – The recipe calls for a small amount of salt to enhance the sweetness and flavors.
- Cinnamon, Ginger, and Cloves – These are some spices to add flavor to gingerbread.
- Molasses – It is a thick sweetener and adds a malty flavor to the muffins.
- Milk – You can use any milk here to make the batter.
- Eggs – Beaten eggs will make the muffin cake-like.
- Butter – Melted butter gives a smooth and pillowy texture.
- Vanilla Extract – It will add delicious flavor to the muffins.
- Coarse sugar – Sprinkle on the gingerbread muffins before baking.
Steps To Make Gingerbread Muffins
1. Pre Preparation
Firstly, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Now grease the muffin tin with the cooking spray to avoid sticking the muffin cups.
2. Prepare the dry mixture
Take a large bowl and add all-purpose flour. Add all the dry ingredients- brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients properly and keep them aside.
3. Prepare the wet mixture
Take another bowl and whisk the molasses with milk, oil, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat the wet ingredients properly to make the mixture fluffy and smooth.
4. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients
Now, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients bowl and stir it with a firm hand. Make sure not to leave any lumps. Make sure that you do not overmix the batter.
5. Prepare for baking
When the batter is ready, divide it into 12 equal parts and then transfer it with the help of a spoon or measuring cup to the muffin cups.
Fill the muffin cups to 3/4th only. You need to leave space so the muffin can rise after baking.
6. Bake your gingerbread muffins
Now, the wait is over. Transfer the muffin cups to the tin and place them in the oven. Before baking, sprinkle some coarse sugar on the muffins.
Bake the muffins for 10-12 mins until they are done. You can insert a toothpick; if it comes out clean, your muffins are well done.
7. Serve the muffins
When the muffins are done, let them cool down. You can eat the muffins with tea or coffee. Add any sprinkles of your choice to upgrade your gingerbread muffins.
Tips To Make Gingerbread Muffins
- While mixing the batter, ensure not to overmix it; otherwise, the batter will not be as fluffy as you want.
- Do not overcook the muffins in the oven.
- Use fresh milk to avoid any bad taste in the muffins.
- Keep a check on the consistency of the batter.
- Serve the gingerbread muffins with tea or coffee.
- You can switch the all-purpose flour with wheat flour.
Add Variations To Your Gingerbread Muffins
- You can use wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour to make it more healthy.
- Add more chocolate chips to the pan before baking.
- Sprinkle the muffins with more chocolate chips or jimmies.
- You can add Chopped walnuts or almonds to the batter for extra texture.
- Use lemon extract or juice to the glaze for vanilla lemon icing.
- You can also make vegan ginger muffins using dairy-free milk, butter, and flax eggs instead of regular eggs.
How Will Gingerbread Muffin Look And Taste Like?
Gingerbread muffins will have a sweet and moist flavor with a touch of spiciness. The addition of molasses will bring a malty taste as well.
When it comes to the look, they will have a light brownish shade after baking. If you are adding coarse sugar as a sprinkler, then it will beautify the gingerbread muffins.
You can add sprinkles and chocolate chips to add more colors to the muffins.
Gingerbread Muffins Recipe
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Cloves
- ½ cup Molasses
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ cup Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Coarse Sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease the muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Add all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Mix the dry ingredients and keep them aside.
- Take another bowl and add milk, oil, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract with molasses. Whisk them properly.
- Now add the wet mixture to the dry mix and gradually whisk the batter. Avoid overmixing.
- Divide the batter into 12 equal parts and fill the muffin cups with the batter. Make sure to leave ¼th of the muffin cups empty for them to rise after baking.
- You can now sprinkle coarse sugar on muffins.
- In the preheated oven, place the muffin cups and bake them for 12-15 minutes.
- Check with the help of a toothpick by inserting it in the center of the muffin. If it comes out clean, then your muffins are done.
- Let the muffins cool down. Add extra toppings of your own choice. Serve it with tea or coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can we store the gingerbread muffins?
Yes, you can refrigerate the muffins in an airtight container.
For how many days can we store the gingerbread muffins?
Homemade muffins can be stored for 2-3 days at room temperature. If you wish to keep them longer, pack the muffins and store them in the refrigerator. They can last up to a few weeks to months.
Can we switch the all-purpose flour with wheat flour?
Yes, we can switch the all-purpose flour with wheat flour. However, the final texture and taste can differ because of the wheat flour.
I am happy that you have finally reached the end of the recipe. I know you cannot control the excitement of trying the recipe yourself. Let us know in the comments how your gingerbread muffins turn out.
We will be back with more such flavorful and yummy recipes for you. Until then, enjoy the chilly winters with warm and spicy gingerbread, Happy Holidays!