A flavorful and crisp German Pilsner recipe is what I will be sharing with you today. I came across the recipe while surfing the internet. If you are planning to try your hand at a classic German Pilsner, give it a shot.
Pilsner beer falls on the spicy side of the spectrum. German Pilsner is pale in color with a malty sweetness. This white-headed beauty with a clear base is excellent in its flavor. No wonder we can go and buy German Pilsner from the store. But making it at home will altogether be a different experience. After all, who does not want a freshly brewed beer?
To make a German Pilsner at home, you need to crush the pilsner mill, mix it with water. Heat this mixture to a temperature of 157°F. Vorlauf the mash until clear. Let it rest for a while and then start with the fermentation process and cold crash it to 35°F for 48 hours. Pack it in bottles and after 4 weeks of fermentation, you can enjoy your fresh German Pilsner.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below.
1. Coquito– Coquito is a traditional coconut punch served at Christmas and New Year’s celebrations in Puerto Rico. The creamy, sweet drink is similar to eggnog with rum but with the tropical element of coconut.
2. Gin and Juice– If you are a cocktail lover, then Gin and Juice would be on top of your list. This cocktail is quite famous as it has a song named after it. A very refreshing and pleasant cocktail, Gin and Juice is an all-occasion cocktail and quite easy to make.
3. Beer in Black Desert Online– Black Desert is an online strategic planning game; your workers need a lot of stamina at different stages of the game. Beer is one of the worker foods that you can use to restore your workers’ energy. So beer is a very important commodity in Black Desert since it replenishes the stamina of its workers.
4. Flaming Doctor Pepper– The flaming Doctor Pepper cocktail tastes like pepper and it is put on fire. It is an irony that Doctor Pepper is not its ingredients. This flaming cocktail is notorious for the harm it may cause if not made with precautions.
Ingredients for German Pilsner
|German Pilsner Malt||9lb/4.8kg|
|Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager||A pack|
The ingredients for making the beer will be available at a homebrew store. If not available nearby your place, then you can even opt for the online supplier. I prefer to buy them in bulk and then measure and use them. Till then, take a look at the hop schedule.
|0.5 oz (14 g) Warrior [15% AA]||60 minutes|
|0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertau [4% AA||10 minutes|
|0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertau [4% AA]||Flame out|
Hops give flavor to the beer. Earlier, herbs and spices were used to give beer the desired flavor. Now check out the steps you need to follow to prepare the beer.
German Pilsner Recipe
- Take the grains and mill them. Now, mix them with 3.2 gallons (12.1 liters) of water with a temperature of 164°F (73°C). Make the water reach a mash temperature of 152°F (67°C) and let this temperature on hold for 60 minutes. If you realize this water is soft and slightly hard, then you can add ¼ teaspoon of gypsum to this mash.
- You need to vorlauf the mash till the mash runnings get clear. Moist the grains with 3.8 gallons (14.4 liters) of water to obtain a wort of 16 gallons (23 liters). Following the hop schedule, boil this for 60 minutes and add Irish moss as preferred.
- After the boiling process, rest it to chill. Aerate it and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment this mixture at 50°F (10°C). At the latter stage of fermentation, increase the temperature by few degrees to clean up diacetyl.
- After completing the fermentation process and before packing the beer, to improve its clarity, cold crash it to 35°F (2°C) for 48 hours.
- Bottle the beer and store it for 4 weeks before drinking it at a temperature near freezing temperature.
All you just have to do is follow the steps very carefully with a proper note of the temperature. If you do so, then you will not face any issues.
How to Make German Pilsner at Home | Video
To help you out, I have uploaded the video of the recipe. Watch it for better clarity of the process.
After trying the recipe, do share your reviews in the comment section. And for those who are having a query related to the recipe, feel free to ask your questions in the comment section. I will get back to you with the best possible solution.