While surfing the internet today, I got an idea to share the recipe for a drink. A drink that is loved by the majority of the population around the world. Any guesses, folks? Well, some of you might have guessed it right but then must have ignored it, thinking about how that can be made at home. Yes, I am talking about beer. And to surprise you, I have a recipe that you can try at home with some of the required equipment.
A flavorful and crisp German Pilsner recipe is what I will be sharing with you today. Beer is made of just four ingredients, namely water, malt, hop and yeast. To make a great tasting beer, the key is how we ferment it. You just have to use the tricks to dry out with an effective temperature. Pilsner beer tastes a bit on the spicy side. German Pilsner is pale in color with a malty sweetness.
This white-headed beauty with a clear base is excellent in its flavor. No wonder we can go and buy German Pilsner from the store. But making it at home will altogether be a different experience. After all, who does not want a freshly brewed beer? So, let’s take a look at how to make a beer.
Ingredients for German Pilsner
|German Pilsner Malt||9lb/4.8kg|
|Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager||A pack|
The ingredients for making the beer will be available at a homebrew store. If not available nearby your place, then you can even opt for the online supplier. I prefer to buy them in bulk and then measure and use them. Till then, take a look at the hop schedule.
|0.5 oz (14 g) Warrior [15% AA]||60 minutes|
|0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertau [4% AA||10 minutes|
|0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertau [4% AA]||Flame out|
Hops give flavor to the beer. Earlier, herbs and spices were used to give beer the desired flavor. Now check out the steps you need to follow to prepare the beer.
German Pilsner Recipe
- Take the grains and mill them. Now, mix them with 3.2 gallons (12.1 liters) of water with a temperature of 164°F (73°C). Make the water reach a mash temperature of 152°F (67°C) and let this temperature on hold for 60 minutes. If you realize this water is soft and slightly hard, then you can add ¼ teaspoon of gypsum to this mash.
- You need to vorlauf the mash till the mash runnings get clear. Moist the grains with 3.8 gallons (14.4 liters) of water to obtain a wort of 16 gallons (23 liters). Following the hop schedule, boil this for 60 minutes and add Irish moss as preferred.
- After the boiling process, rest it to chill. Aerate it and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment this mixture at 50°F (10°C). At the latter stage of fermentation, increase the temperature by few degrees to clean up diacetyl.
- After completing the fermentation process and before packing the beer, to improve its clarity, cold crash it to 35°F (2°C) for 48 hours.
- Bottle the beer and store it for 4 weeks before drinking it at a temperature near freezing temperature.
All you just have to do is follow the steps very carefully with a proper note of the temperature. If you do so, then you will not face any issues.
How to Make German Pilsner at Home | Video
To help you out, I have uploaded the video of the recipe. Watch it for better clarity of the process.
After trying the recipe, do share your reviews in the comment section. And for those who are having a query related to the recipe, feel free to ask your questions in the comment section. I will get back to you with the best possible solution.