Funeral sandwiches are ham and cheese baked sandwiches. They are perfect to be served as an appetizer or as lunchtime or a breakfast meal. It is quite fun and simple to make. Anyone can make funeral sandwiches at home in just 20 minutes.
Back in the time, it was a Southern funeral tradition to serve the attendants of the deceased with food and drinks. At that time, funeral sandwiches were a common sandwich and were often served with wine.
To make funeral sandwiches, cut bread rolls and place the bottom halves on a baking tray. On the bread rolls, lay ham and cheese slices. Cover with the top half of the bread rolls. Mix butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, and onion powder in a bowl and pour it over the sandwiches. Cover tightly and marinate overnight. Bake for about 15 minutes and serve.
This was just a brief overview of the recipe. Also, there are a variety of breakfast recipes that you can try as well. Do check them as well.
1. Wagyu Zabuton Steak Sandwich– Wagyu beef is a kind of luxury beef and goes high in the food hierarchy. It is quite expensive and rare. If you lay hands on some, try to make a steak sandwich out of it.
2. Cheese Toastie– A cheese toastie is simply a toast with cheese and feels like a hug to the soul. These sandwiches are generally popular in the UK because they are easy to make and delicious in taste.
3. Baileys French Toast– Baileys French toast involves the basic French toast recipe with a dash of Baileys Irish cream liqueur. It also has whipping cream, sugar, and eggs. It is a delicious breakfast.
4. Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal– It is said that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the meal. One such healthy breakfast recipe is the peanut butter banana oatmeal.
Funeral Sandwiches Recipe
- Baking Pan
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 dash Onion Powder
- ½ cup Melted Butter
- Swiss Cheese
- 1 lb Ham Deli Meat
- 1 packet King's Hawaiian Rolls
- Cut each roll in half, lengthwise, and place bottom halves on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Layer the bottom half with ham slices and cheese and place the top half back on.
- In a bowl, mix butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, and onion powder.
- Pour sauce over sandwiches, drenching each one. Cover tightly and marinate anywhere from 4-24 hours (overnight works best).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered, or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden.