Funeral sandwiches are ham and cheese baked sandwiches that are perfect to be served as an appetizer or as a lunchtime meal. I know that the name Funeral Sandwich can make any person but to be honest, it is quite fun and simple to make. So in this article, I will tell you the Funeral Sandwiches recipe and with this recipe, anyone can make funeral sandwiches at home in about 20 minutes.
But before telling you the recipe, I would like the share the history behind the name Funeral Sandwich.
Back in the time, it was a Southern Funeral Tradition to serve the attendants of the deceased with food and drinks. At that time, Funeral Sandwiches was a common sandwich made on such a day that was often served with wine. The family of the deceased used to receive food gifts from friends and family that includes fried chicken, baked ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, rolls, pound cake, and endless pies.
At that time, Funeral Potatoes were also very famous. They were made with hash browns, sour cream, and cream soup that is topped with a cornflakes crust.
But in this article, we are talking about How to make Funeral Sandwiches at home, not Funeral Potatoes. So without further waiting, let’s check how much time will it take to make Funeral Sandwich, the ingredients used in the Funeral Sandwiches recipe and at last, the recipe itself.
How much time it will take to make Funeral Sandwiches at Home
|5 minutes|| |
Ingredients for Funeral Sandwiches Recipe
You will find most of the ingredients required for Funeral Sandwiches recipe from any supermarket near your home.
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 dash Onion Powder
- ½ cup Melted Butter
- Thinly sliced Swiss cheese (According to Taste)
- 1 lb Ham Deli Meat
- 1 Packet King’s Hawaiian Rolls
Funeral Sandwiches Recipe
- Cut each roll in half, lengthwise and place bottom halves on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Layer bottom half with ham slices and cheese and place the top half back on.
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, and onion powder.
- Pour sauce over sandwiches, drenching each one. Cover tightly and marinate anywhere from 4-24 hours (overnight works best).
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered, or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden.
Note- If you are following the above-given Funeral Sandwiches recipe and want your sandwiches to be tasty and delicious. Then, follow each and every step that I’ve mentioned above.
Nutritional Information of Funeral Sandwiches
Here is the nutritional breakdown of the Funeral Sandwiches.