Have you ever heard of food author Maria Parloa? She made the first mention of hashed brown potatoes in her book kitchen Companion. I have some sweet memories associated with Frozen Hash Browns. During my high school days, my mother used to prepare this for me every morning. I simply loved them. At times when my mother used to be busy in her own work, I prepared them with much delight.
Now, let me tell you few facts about Frozen Hash Browns.
Frozen hash browns are simple and famous American breakfast dish. During the 1890s, they began to show up in the restaurant menus. They are sometimes made into the form of the patty so as to make its handling convenient. Did you know that the word ‘hash ‘ has been derived from French word ‘hacher’ meaning hacking or chopping? It literally means “chopped and fried potatoes”
Even now I make Frozen Hash Browns every day for my younger sibling as breakfast. I have shared the Frozen Hash Browns Recipe with some of my foreigner friends, they too find it yummy.
So here I am sharing the Frozen Hash Browns Recipe with you in this article.
Ingredients required for Frozen Hash Browns Recipe
|Vegetables oil||2 tbsp|
|Frozen shredded potatoes||3/4 cup|
Note : Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Freezer gallon bags are required to store shredded potatoes in the freezer.
How much time will it take ?
|Cooking time||Total time|
|15 minutes||15 minutes|
Frozen Hash Browns Recipe
- Take as many potatoes as you want to freeze and shred them.
- Soak them in a bowl containing cold water so as to remove the excess starch.
- Now, take a neat and clean tea towel and put the potatoes in it.
- Water should be squeezed out of the potatoes. The purpose of drying the potatoes is to prevent them from sticking with each other.
- Next, take a baking sheet and spread the shredded potatoes over it.
- Store them in the freezer until they get completely frozen for about an hour or two.
- Take freezer gallon bags and put frozen potato shreds into it.
- Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- After they get frozen completely, take a large cast-iron frying pan or skillet and melt butter over medium-high heat.
- The frozen hash browns should be added in a thin layer.
- Now, for seasoning put salt and pepper and flip the contents.
- Now cook them uncovered until their bottom gets golden and crispy.
- Now your Frozen Hash Browns are ready to serve.
Nutritional information of Frozen Hash Browns Recipe
|Total fats||4 g|