Flatbread crackers are exactly what they sound like; crackers made from flatbread. They are made from whole wheat flour, are usually flavored with herbs and spices, and may contain seeds, nuts, or dried fruit.
Flatbread crackers are a delicious and easy snack to make at home. Start preparing the dough by combining all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and butter in a beater, roll it thinly and prick it with the fork. Transfer to the prepared parchment sheet and bake until golden brown.
You can add poppy seeds to the dough to give a slightly nutty, sweet, spicy taste, crunchy texture, and unique decoration. You can add small rosemary to give a lemony, piney, minty, sage-like, and peppery flavor.
Follow these simple instructions, and you will have crunchy flatbread crackers. Flatbread crackers are a great option if you’re looking for a new snack or want to add more variety to your diet.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Flatbread Crackers?
- Mixing Bowl – Mix all the ingredients in a bowl to make the dough for the crackers.
- Oven – Use an electric oven to bake the flattened dough for making flatbread crackers.
- Stand Mixer – Ease your kneading work with the beater and save you time.
- Parchment Paper – Place the parchment paper in the oven on a wire rack to keep it from burning and ensure even baking.
- Rolling Pin – Roll out the flatbread crackers as thinly as possible with the help of a rolling pin.
- Fork – With the tines of a fork, prick the dough to prevent it from bubbling up when it bakes.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Flatbread Crackers?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||10 Minutes||30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Flatbread Crackers?
- All-Purpose Flour – Use all-purpose flour to form a dough for the bread, and you can also use whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour.
- Baking Powder – You’ll need baking powder to add to the dough to increase its volume and lighten the texture of flatbread crackers.
- Unsalted Butter – Unsalted butter will give the bread a neutral, creamy flavor and the right texture.
- Thyme – Thyme will give the dough an earthy, minty, slightly lemony flavor.
- Salt – This universal flavor improver will increase the sweet, sour, and savory taste in the honey mixture.
- Olive Oil – Add olive oil to the dough to combine all the ingredients and brush the flatbreads before baking it.
- Ice Water – You will need ice water to bring everything together until the mixture is combined well and forms a dough.
Steps To Make Flatbread Crackers
1. Prepare The Dough
Whisk together flour, baking powder, thyme, olive oil, and salt in a medium bowl. Using a beater, work in butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
Stir in ice water until the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry, add more water; if too wet, add more flour at a time.
2. Bake Flatbread
Turn your flatbread dough onto a lightly floured surface. Then, knead it until it comes together. Roll out the dough as thin as possible and prick it with the fork.
Transfer to the prepared parchment sheet and bake until golden brown for 20–25 minutes. Let it cool completely on a baking sheet before breaking it into pieces along with perforations made by fork pricks.
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Vitamin A||0.9 iu|
|Vitamin C||0.5 mg|
How Will Flatbread Crackers Look And Taste Like?
Flatbread crackers are delicious, with a crispy texture that’s perfect for dipping or topping. The taste of flatbread crackers has a satisfying savory flavor and light, airy texture with a deep golden hue, making them a hit with adults and kids alike.
Flatbread Crackers Recipe
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 3 tablespoons Ice Water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and place parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, thyme, olive oil, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using a stand mixer, work in butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of ice water until the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry, add more water. If the dough feels too sticky and moist, add more flour at a time.
- Turn your flatbread dough onto a lightly floured surface. Then, knead it until it comes together.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough as thin as possible and prick it with the fork.
- Transfer to the prepared parchment sheet and bake until golden brown for 20–25 minutes.
- Let it cool completely on a baking sheet before breaking it into pieces along with perforations made by fork pricks.
There are many recipes for flatbread crackers online, but this recipe yields the best results. This recipe makes enough dough for about two dozen crackers. If you love our recipe, share your experience with us in the comments, and stay tuned for more recipes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you keep homemade crackers fresh?
Completely cool your crackers before storing them in an air-tight container. Store it in a cool environment without humidity to make it for 1-2 weeks.
What do you put on crackers?
A variety of tapenades, jellies, spreads, and dips. Cheese and apple slices, deviled ham spread, peanut butter, egg salad, chicken salad, and tuna salad. Yummy cream cheese and dill with freshly-ground pepper. Try Ricotta cheese with drizzles of honey and thinly-sliced pear.
How do I make flatbread crisp?
To make flatbread crispier, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the bread into the shapes of your choice. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle some salt, and toss everything together. Bake for 12-15 minutes until crispy. Let them cool before serving.