Ever had a craving for some delicious flank steak tacos but are worried about cooking them on a grill? Here, I present a fuss-free recipe. It can be easily made on a stove-top, rather than a grill!
Now, before I get into the nitty-gritty of the recipe, I’d like to share some details about flank steak and how the meat can be used. This will help you get perfectly seasoned and tenderly cooked meat for your tacos!
So what exactly is flank steak? Why do we use it for this recipe? Of course, tacos can be made with any cut of beef, but Flank steak is extremely lean meat packed with flavor. Flank steak has fewer calories and more protein than a Ribeye or Porterhouse steak.
This recipe uses a citrus-based marinade for the tacos, which will naturally tenderize the meat. This will give you a soft mouthful rather than chewy, hard meat.
The process of marination for this recipe is quite long. However, the preparation time for the marinade and everything else is really less. This makes waiting for marination completely worth it!
The recipe calls for Jack cheese but if you want to add a bit of spice, you can add pepper Jack cheese instead. If you don’t have either, you can just use any of the pepper jack cheese substitutes.
Now, let me walk you through the recipe for making these scrumptious tacos. You will find a list of all important ingredients and equipment that you’ll need to make flank steak tacos. Follow the base recipe as it is to get great-tasting tacos! Try the recipe now and you will definitely be so proud of yourself once you’re done.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Flank Steak Tacos?
- Bowl – You’ll need a large bowl to make the marinade and to marinate the meat in the same.
- Large Knife – Use a large kitchen knife to cut the meat, as that will help you get cleaner cuts.
- Chopping Board – Use a heavy chopping board to cut thin slices of the steak. Secure the chopping board with a wet paper towel at the base. It will help you get cleaner slices.
- Tongs – Use a large pair of tongs to easily flip the meat on the pan.
- Cast Iron Griddle – A heavy-bottom cast iron griddle gives the best results while cooking the meat on a stove-top.
- Citrus Press – Use a citrus press to make sure you get all the juices out of that orange!
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Flank Steak Tacos?
|Preparation Time||Resting Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||6 Hours||30 Minutes||7 Hours|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Flank Steak Tacos?
- Flank Steak – Use flank steak with excess fat removed.
- Olive Oil – Extra-virgin olive oil works best for this recipe! Add 1 tablespoon to the marinade and 1 tablespoon to coat the pan before cooking the steak.
- Garlic – Add chopped garlic to the marinade to add flavor to the meat.
- Orange Juice – Make sure you use freshly squeezed orange juice rather than bottled juice with preservatives. Fresh juice will help tenderize the meat faster and add to the flavor of the marinade.
- Cumin – Cumin helps add a slightly smoky flavor to the meat.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will give a kick of spice to the tacos.
- Salt – Salt will help enhance the flavors of all the spices.
- Flour Tortillas – You will need 7-inch tortillas for this recipe. You can also use Corn Tortillas. This recipe makes 8 tacos.
- Monterey Jack Cheese – Monterey Jack cheese has a very mild flavor and will not overpower the taste of the tacos.
- Red Onions – Red onions will help add extra flavor and crunch to the tacos.
Steps To Make Flank Steak Tacos
1. Prepare The Marinade.
In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, orange juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour the marinade over the steak and tightly cover it with plastic. Refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Make sure not to marinate the meat for longer than 6 hours. This would tenderize the meat too much and will start breaking it down.
Take the steak out of the refrigerator and let it stand until it reaches room temperature. Meanwhile, heat the pan, chop the onion, and grate the cheese.
3. Let The Cooking Game Begin!
Once the pan is hot, cook the steak on the pan for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until medium-rare. Once cooked, take the steak out on a chopping board and cover it with foil for 5 minutes, as this will help all the juices to sink into the meat. Then, slice the meat into thin strips, making sure it is across the grain.
4. Turn Up The Heat.
Heat the tortillas in a dry pan for 30 seconds on each side on a medium flame. Make sure they don’t get too crisp.
Fill the tortillas with some sliced beef and top it with your favorite toppings. Serve Immediately!
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
How Will The Flank Steak Tacos Look And Taste?
The flank steak tacos will have a rustic appearance, topped with all your favorite toppings. Tender beef wrapped in soft tortillas topped with the saltiness of the cheese. This will definitely be a carnival of flavors. You can serve the tacos with a quinoa salad for added zest!
Flank Steak Tacos Recipe
- Chopping Board
- Large Knife
- Cast Iron Griddle
- Citrus Press
- 250 g Flank Steak
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (Minced)
- 3 Flour Tortillas
- ½ cup Monetary Jack Cheese
- 1 cup Red Onions
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What kind of steak is best for tacos?
The best steak used for tacos is flank steak, skirt steak, or sirloin steak.
How do you make flank steak tender?
For making the flank steak tender, either marinate the steak for longer or braise the steak nicely.
How long does flank steak take to cook?
You can cook flank steak in 10-15 minutes. The steaks are grilled to perfection in just 10 minutes.
What is flank steak good for?
Flank steak is one of the leanest cuts of meat that is good for braising, grilling, or roasting.
Grab your apron and get your hands on flavorful, juicy flank steak at home. Refer to the above article for the details and leave us your feedback in the comment section below.