If you’re looking for the recipe for fish sauce, then you’re in the right place. Today, we will see how you can make an authentic sauce at your home.
Fish sauce is a result of the fermentation of fish and salt. It is a staple diet of people in Southeast Asia. The sauce is great for adding flavors to ramen, marinades and fries. You will find many versions of the sauce on the internet, but my version of the sauce has always made my family and friends happy.
To prepare the fish sauce, mix garlic and lemon jest and add seasoning. Now, cut the fish into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the mixture. Then, add peppercorns and bay leaves and transfer them to the mason jar. Add sauerkraut brine into the jar and after that, fill the jar with water. Let it rest at room temperature for 2-3 days and then refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.
The recipe will take time, but your patience will be worth it. The most important step to make the sauce is the fermentation process, so don’t compromise on it.
Fish Sauce Recipe
- 6 Chopped Garlic Cloves
- 1 Lemon Zest
- 3 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 6 Bay Leaves
- 2-3 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 ½ pounds Small Whole Fish
- 1-2 cups Non-Chlorinated Water
- 2 tablespoon Sauerkraut Brine
- Mix the garlic and lemon zest together and season it with sea salt.
- Wash the fish first and then cut it into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the pieces of fish to the mixture and coat it completely with the mixture.
- Add peppercorns and bay leaves in the mixture and transfer the whole mixture in a mason jar and press down the pieces.
- Add sauerkraut brine into the jar and after that fill the jar with water (but make sure to leave at least one inch of space at the top).
- Cover the jar tightly and leave the jar for 2-3 days at normal room temperature.
- After that, let it sit for 4-6 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Strain the mixture and remove the solids.
Now, it’s your turn. Try this amazing recipe at your home and share your wonderful experience with us in the comments below. I will definitely try to cover it in our upcoming blogs.