Eccles cakes are one of the most authentic recipes of England and today; I am going to tell you how you can make this at your home.
Let’s start with a little history of Eccles cakes. They were first made in 1793 and they got its name from a town named Eccles in Northwest England, in Manchester Country. You will be amazed to know that at the Salford Food and Drink Festival in England, the world’s largest Eccles cake was made.
Eccless cake can be prepared in 3 steps. First, prepare the dough by combining butter, flour, bread crumbs, lemon and cold water. Now prepare the by mixing currants, sugar, lemon zest, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and diced dried papaya. Now make the pastry by put stuffing in the dough and bake it.
These beloved English pastries sound very easy to prepare but there is much more to the experience of making them. That is why I’ve mentioned the detailed steps of preparing these Eccless pastries below with proper timings and their nutritional breakdown.
Ingredients For Eccless Cake
- 350 g Flour
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 275 g Butter
- 50 g Chopped Peel
- 200 g Currants
- 100 g Muscovado Sugar
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Allspice
- Lemon zest and Orange zest
- 2 teaspoon Orange Juice
- 1 Egg White
- 3 tablespoons Preserving Sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 30 g dried papaya
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
We have gotten to know the ingredients very well and you all must be wondering how much time does it consume to make this Eccles cake.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Eccless Cake?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|2 hour||20 minutes||2 hour 20 minutes|
You all must have gotten very well aware of the time required to make it. Now you all must be eager to know about the detailed procedure to make this best Eccless cake, so let’s go forward quickly.
Steps To Make Eccless Cake
- Firstly, deep freeze the butter until it gets hard, then put in the flour and half a piece of small butter into a bowl and add in the bread crumbs.
- Now put in the lemon juice and 1 cup of ice-cold water and make a dough by mixing it properly, then add in the leftover butter and mix it with the dough in such a way that the dough absorbs all the butter properly.
- The next step is to roll the pastry on a surface where a little bit of flour is poured and cut them into rectangular shapes and then fold the ends of the rectangle into the middle and then roll it again and do the same type of folding again and again for 3 more times and giving the pastry rest for almost 16 minutes each and then refrigerate it for 32 minutes.
- Now for preparation of the stuffing, melt the butter in a pan and then remove it from the flame and add currants, sugar, lemon zest, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and diced dried papaya and mix it well and keep it still.
- Now to make it roll the pastry, cut it into a round shape, add in the stuffings, put little water on the sides, bind up the pastry, and place it on a baking tray and sprinkle sugar egg white on the Eccles cakes.
- Now, at last bake the cakes for 16- 18 min until they get golden brown and then serve them it.
Your yummy and delicious Eccless cake pastry is ready.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Eccless Cake
I think you all must have gotten a clear picture of the recipe now. Let’s check how it will affect your diet plans.
How To Make Eccless Cake At Home | Video
Also, watch the video I have uploaded of the recipe to know more details.
In case you have any queries, do not hesitate to ask me in the comment section below. I will try to help you with my best knowledge. You can also suggest me some recipe to share with you. This will be a great idea to help you with what you want. Bon Appetite!