Dulce de Leche is similar to caramel sauce. The sauce pairs marvelously with ice-creams, cheesecakes, pies, or whatever you like. In this recipe, I will be sharing two different methods of making the sauce.
The recipe is made from sweetened milk and has its origins in Latin America. The history of the sauce is not known, but some people claim that Napoleon’s cook accidentally discovered the sauce by heating milk and sugar for a long time. Now, let’s have an overview of the recipe.
There are two methods of preparing Dulce de Leche: one ingredient and classic method. One ingredient method involves baking sweet condensed milk for 2 hours and the classic method involves mixing sugar, vanilla bean and milk in a pan over medium flame. Then, add baking soda and cook until the sauce gets caramel color.
The methods may look a little confusing but believe me, once you through the detailed recipe below, you will be able to make a perfect sweet sauce. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
1. Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce– Hoffman house cocktail sauce is best paired with seafood. So the next time you are buying shrimps, make sure to try out this recipe.
2. Zip Sauce– The sauce is also known as steak sauce as most people prefer to have it with steak. It was originated in Detroit at Lelli’s restaurant in 1939. This sauce is like a rich buttery glaze.
3. Fish Sauce– Fish sauce is a result of the fermentation of fish and salt. It is a staple diet of people in Southeast Asia. The sauce is great for adding flavors to ramen, marinades and fries.
4. Mushroom Sauce– There can be nothing better than silky and smooth mushroom sauce to serve with steak, chicken, baked potatoes and pasta.
Dulce de Leche Recipe
Dulce de Leche (One Ingredient Method)
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
Dulce de Leche (Classic Method)
- 1 quart Whole Milk
- 12 ounces Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
Dulce de Leche Recipe (One Ingredient Method)
- First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Put the condensed milk in a dish and cover it tightly with foil.
- Place the dish in a large pan or roasting pan and add hot water in the pan.
- Put it inside the oven and bake it for 2 hours.
- Whisk it to turn it out into a smooth mixture.
Dulce de Leche Recipe (Classic Method)
- Mix sugar, vanilla bean and milk together in a pan and heat it over medium flame.
- When the sugar gets melted completely, add baking soda and cook it continuously for 1 hour.
- After that, remove the vanilla bean and cook again until it gets dark caramel in color.
- Strain the whole mixture and transfer it into a container.
So, this was all from my side and I hope you enjoyed the recipe. Please share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.