Do you love Chinese cuisine? Then I’m sure you also love their dipping sauce. Let’s learn how to make the popular duck sauce recipe.
Duck sauce is a bright orange dipping sauce that is served alongside fried Chinese items like spring rolls, noodles, egg rolls, and wantons. It has a sweet and sour flavor and a thin jelly-like consistency that compliments fried food exceptionally well.
If you walk down the grocery store aisle, you will find duck sauce made with different types of ingredients. But they also include certain ingredients that you may want to skip for health reasons.
So, this recipe provides you with the authentic flavor of duck sauce. The best part? It’s preservative-free, color-free, and doesn’t contain high fructose corn!
This sauce takes only five minutes of preparation time. You just have to stir all the ingredients together until well combined and your sauce is ready to be devoured!
So, let’s check out the duck sauce recipe and make a delicious appetizer serving.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Duck Sauce?
- Bowl – You will need a bowl to combine the duck sauce ingredients.
- Fork – You will need a fork to mix the duck sauce ingredients.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Duck Sauce?
|Preparation Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||5 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Duck Sauce?
- Sugar – To make duck sauce, you will need two teaspoons of sugar.
- Water – To achieve a thin sauce consistency, you will need one and a half tablespoons of hot water.
- Apricot Preserves – To make the sauce sweet and achieve a bright orange color, you will need three tablespoons of apricot preserve.
- Pickled Plum – Pickled plums are sour, salted Chinese plums jarred in liquid. To make duck sauce, you will need one piece of salted pickled plums.
- Salted Pickled Plum Liquid -You will also need half a teaspoon liquid from a salted pickled plum jar.
- Soy Sauce – Chinese condiments are incomplete without the addition of soy sauce. To make duck sauce you will need one eighth teaspoon of soy sauce.
- Rice Vinegar – Rice vinegar has an acidic taste; you will need one fourth teaspoon of rice vinegar.
Steps To Make Duck Sauce
In a small bowl add sugar and hot water. Mix until the sugar dissolves and add apricot preserve. Take a piece of pickled and remove the pit. Add to the bowl.
Pickled plum is very soft in texture, it will fall apart easily. Next, add ½ teaspoon of liquid from the pickled plum jar, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.
Mix the ingredients together with a fork until everything is well-combined. Let the sauce sit for 5 minutes and mix again. Your duck sauce is ready to be served.
How To Use Duck Sauce?
Duck sauce is the perfect dipping sauce for deep-fried delights like wontons and egg rolls. You can also use it as a dip for pork chops, chicken wings, shrimp, and other seafood.
Duck sauce also goes well with Chinese-style barbecued spare ribs and the roast duck it’s named after.
Moreover, you can use it as an ingredient in homemade salad dressing and as a sweet and spicy glaze.
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin C||1.3 mg|
How Will Duck Sauce Look And Taste Like?
After looking at the recipe, I’m sure you must be excited to try it out. But before that let me explain its taste.
Duck sauce is a sweet and sour-tasting sauce, having a fruity undertone. With the addition of soy sauce, this sauce also has a slight umami flavor.
In terms of the spice level, this sauce is only mildly spicy. If you like spice, you are free to add some red chopped chilis.
As for the looks, duck sauce has an eye-catching bright orange color. This natural color is derived from the apricot preserve and pickled plum.
Duck Sauce Recipe
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Apricot Preserves
- 1 Salted Pickled Plum
- 1½ tablespoon Hot Water
- ½ teaspoon Liquid From Salted Pickled Plum Jar
- ⅛ teaspoon Soy Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- In a small bowl add sugar and hot water. Mix until the sugar dissolves and add apricot preserve.
- Take a piece of pickled and remove the pit. Add to the bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon of liquid from the pickled plum jar, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.
- Mix the ingredients together with a fork until everything is well-combined.
- Let the sauce sit for 5 minutes and mix again. Your duck sauce is ready to be served.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
How long does duck sauce last?
Homemade duck sauce has a shelf life of about three weeks if stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Is duck sauce the same as sweet and sour sauce?
No duck sauce is not the same as sweet and sour sauce. Duck sauce has fruity undertones due to the inclusion of apricots, plums, peaches or pineapples. Whereas, sweet and sour sauce is sweet, it doesn’t have the fruity flavor of duck sauce.
What is duck sauce made of?
Duck sauce is made of plums, apricots, pineapples or peaches added to sugar, soy sauce, and vinegar.
Are duck sauce and plum sauce the same?
Plum sauce and duck sauce are often referred to interchangeably in recipe books. However, plum sauce has a sweet-tart flavor with a spicy undertone, whereas duck sauce has fruity undertones.
Is duck sauce vegan?
Duck sauce is usually plant-based. Thus, it is suitable for a vegan diet. However, you should always check the label before consumption.
Do try out this flavorful duck sauce to elevate your appetizer plate experience. For more such sauce recipes, you can visit the recipe’s section on our website.