Pumpkins are something that truly defines fall. We all love pumpkin-flavored everything, especially even more around Thanksgiving time. If you want to experiment with pumpkin flavors this Thanksgiving, then you need to try this exceptionally easy recipe of Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread!
Just like everyone else, I, too, get obsessed with everything pumpkin flavored when it is fall. Of course, it is one of the most soothing things to have when it’s all windy outside! This means I always end up buying more cans of pumpkin puree than I ever thought I would eventually use.
So, there are always leftover cans of pumpkin puree, with which I wonder if there is something quick and easy to make. Probably, some of you may have been in a similar situation at least at one point around fall. Well, the solution to overstocking pumpkin puree cans is really to make this pumpkin bread!
Now I know that making bread from scratch may sound like a task. But the good news here is that this is actually a type of quick bread! What is that? Quick breads are loaves that don’t need any yeast or kneading. Hence there is no gluten formed. This means to make quick breads, all you have to do is mix a bunch of ingredients together and bake the bread!
Sounds easy, right? It surely is! So, in this recipe, you will find a complete guide on how to make this exceptionally delicious pumpkin bread from scratch. From the equipment and ingredients to the method and nutritional values, it’s all in this article! Now, let us discover this recipe.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- Buttermilk Spoon Bread
- Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
- Scalloped Oysters
- Spatchcocked Smoked Turkey
- Turkey Avocado Sandwich
- Deli Turkey
- Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Grandma’s Cranberry Sauce
- Grandma’s Corn Pudding
- Turkey Carcass Soup
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread?
- Bowl – You will need two large bowls to make this pumpkin bread. One of them will be to mix all the ingredients together, and the other one to sift in the dry ingredients.
- Sieve – To make sure your bread does not get any lumps, it would be best to sift the dry ingredients first, for which you will need a sieve.
- Measuring Cups – It is really important to be precise with the number of ingredients you add to a recipe in baking. So, measuring cups will be needed to make this recipe.
- Measuring Spoons – Again, to get a precise measurement of the ingredients needed in smaller quantities, you will need a set of measuring spoons.
- Whisk – To mix all the wet ingredients together, you will need a large whisk.
- Silicone Spatula – After adding the dry ingredients to the wet ones, we will carefully fold everything together, for which you will need a silicone spatula.
- Loaf Pans – You will need two loaf pans which are around 9 inches into 5 inches, for this recipe. This is the ideal size to get two loves, but you can use whatever you have.
- Skewers – You will need a skewer or a toothpick to check whether the pumpkin bread is ready or not.
- Baking Tray – Lastly, to place the loaf pans into the oven, you will need a baking tray.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||55 Minutes||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread?
- All-Purpose Flour – One of the main ingredients in this recipe is, of course, all-purpose flour. You will need 3 ½ cups of it to get a yield of two loaves. Please don’t use bread flour or cake flour as the gluten content varies very highly in the two and will eventually change the texture of the bread from what it is supposed to be like.
- Sugar – Quick breads are usually a little sweet, so they need a decent amount of sugar. For this recipe, you will need three cups of caster sugar.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda is the leavening agent in this recipe and will give the bread a soft and spongy texture. You will need two teaspoons of the same.
- Pumpkin Puree – It isn’t pumpkin bread without pumpkins! You will need around 15 ounces of pumpkin puree, which should almost be as much as a single can.
- Eggs – Eggs help bring all the ingredients together and also help provide moisture, so you will need four large eggs for this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil – Oil will again provide moisture and help with keeping the bread soft once it is done baking. You will need one cup of vegetable oil for this recipe. You can also use any other type of oil that does not have a pungent smell or flavor.
- Water – For this recipe, you will need ⅔ cups of room temperature water.
- Salt – Salt is a seasoning that will help enhance the flavor of the bread, so you will need one teaspoon of the same.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg – Pumpkin spice tastes incredible, and hence, we will be adding some spice to this bread recipe. You will need a teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cloves and Ginger – Lastly, to give the bread a warm and fuzzy flavor for autumn, you will need ½ teaspoon each of ground cloves and cinnamon.
Steps To Make Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
1. Preheat The Oven And Finish Pre-Preps
Firstly, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease the loaf pans with some of the oil and then dust them with flour, just enough to cover all the sides of the pans. This is to ensure that the bread does not stick to the pans. Then, sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger into a large bowl and keep it aside.
2. Prepare The Batter
Once your pre-preps are done, you can start preparing the batter for the bread. For that, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, oil, water, and sugar, until everything is well combined together.
Then, add the sifted dry ingredients, bit by bit, to the wet ingredients and fold them in with the help of a silicone spatula. Make sure you don’t overmix the batter, as that will create gluten and make the bread tough. Once everything is mixed in, pour the batter into the greased loaf pans.
3. Bake And Serve
After pouring the batter into the greased loaf pans, put them on a baking tray and place the tray in the preheated oven. Let the bread loaves bake for around 50 minutes, keeping 5-10 minutes as a variable time.
Once the oven alarm buzzes, take the bread out and check if they are thoroughly cooked. For that, insert a skewer or a toothpick right in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean, your bread is done. If not, let it bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Once the bread is done, take it out of the oven and let them cool down in the loaf pans. After they cool down, carefully remove them from the pans by tapping them gently on all sides. Then slice the bread and serve!
How To Enjoy Pumpkin Bread?
There are various ways in which you can enjoy a loaf of pumpkin bread. Some of my favorite ways are as given below.
- As It Is – This pumpkin bread is so rich and sweet that it actually tastes great, just as it is! However, I would suggest heating the bread a little bit before serving if you are planning to have it as it is.
- With Condiments – A number of condiments go really well with pumpkin bread. Some of them are hot honey, various jams, nut butter, and even maple syrup.
- As French Toast – Bored of the same old french toast? Try making yourself a hearty breakfast with this pumpkin bread, and I can guarantee you that you will never go back to regular french toast!
- In Bread Puddings – If you want to take this bread up a notch, you can make a decadent bread pudding with it, which is actually quite easy.
- With Soup – You can either make this bread into croutons or serve a slice as it is, with a number of hearty soup options.
|Saturated Fat||2 grams|
|Vitamin C||1 milligram|
What Will The Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread Look And Taste Like?
If you haven’t made any sort of quick bread before or, just in general, are new to baking, you may wonder what the end product is supposed to turn out like. So, when it comes to what the bread is supposed to look like, it will actually look like a cross between bread and a cake.
The bread will be in the form of a loaf, with a deep orange hue, and yes, while baking, the top will tear so that the excess air can escape. In fact, even the texture will be somewhat similar to what you would expect out of a moist cake rather than bread, which is exactly what it is supposed to be like!
When it comes to flavor, this bread has the perfect autumn vibes. The pumpkin puree combined with sugar creates a sweet flavor. However, the spices added to the bread create a wonderful contrast, which will make you feel warm and fuzzy with every bite!
Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Caster Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 15 ounces Pumpkin Puree
- 4 nos. Eggs
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease loaf pans with oil and dust them with flour, just enough to cover all the sides.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until everything is combined together.
- Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients and fold with the help of a spatula, just until everything is well combined together.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pans and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake the bread for 55 minutes at the same temperature.
- Once the 55 minute mark is up, insert a skewer in the center of the bread and if it comes out clean, your bread is ready. If not, bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the oven after it is completely baked and place it on a cooling rack.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pans after they have cooled down, slice and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can homemade pumpkin puree be used for this recipe instead of canned pumpkin puree?
Yes, you can use homemade pumpkin puree for this recipe if you would like.
Can pumpkin spice filling be used for this recipe?
No, you shouldn’t use pumpkin spice filling for this recipe, as it has a lot of added sugar and will completely throw off the flavor balance for this recipe.
What are some other types of quick bread?
Some other examples of quick bread are muffins, cornbread, banana bread, and madeleines.
Why is this bread called quick bread?
The reason why this pumpkin bread is called quick bread is that we are using an artificial leavening agent in this recipe, baking soda, rather than a natural one like yeast which is used to make regular bread.
Can other spices be added to this recipe?
Yes, you can also add some allspice and ground cardamom to this recipe if you would like.
Why does my pumpkin bread become tough?
The reason why your bread might be getting a little tough is because of overmixing the batter. It is important to gently fold the batter as overmixing will create gluten, which will make the bread tough.
How long can Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread be stored?
Pumpkin bread can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, or wrapped in plastic, for three days. If you want to store it for a longer time, you can store it in the refrigerator for a week.
Warm with the spices and sweet with the pumpkin, this bread is the perfect combination of fall flavors. It is, moreover, exceptionally easy to make as compared to regular bread and can be made by beginners, too, following just a few simple steps.