Are you a cake lover? Actually, who is not? With all the different types of cakes made and served worldwide, marble cakes are loved by everyone. Today, I will be sharing the recipe of a cake similar to a marble cake. The recipe of a cake that I am sharing with you is Donauwelle.
Donauwelle is a traditional sheet cake with layers of chocolate and plain pound cake with a wavy border between the two. This cake has sour cherries in it and is topped with buttercream and chocolate glaze. It is famous in Germany and Austria.
This cake not just has an attractive appearance but it also tastes as tempting as it looks. Baking this cake is not so tricky but just time consuming. So let us not delay and get started with the process.
Ingredients for Donauwelle
|All-purpose flour||2 cups|
|Baking Powder||1 teaspoon|
|White sugar||1 ¼ cups|
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|Unsweetened Cocoa||2 teaspoons|
|Tart cherries in water||1 can/16 ounce|
|Confectioners’ Sugar||1 ½ cups|
|Rum flavoring||2 teaspoons|
These ingredients are readily available in any supermarket and most probably, you will find all of them in your pantry. It is a recipe which tastes good and is loved by almost everyone. Without any delay, let’s see how much time it will take to prepare this yummy cake.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|25 minutes||25 minutes||1 hour||1 hour 50 minutes|
To satiate your cake craving, you have to have the patience for this recipe. It is a time consuming recipe. So don’t be sad as this recipe will be worth the wait. The instructions should be followed with all precision to get the best outcome. Take a look at the instructions below.
- Set the oven on preheat at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Till the oven preheats, place parchment paper in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Take a bowl and mix the flour and baking powder in it. In another bowl, beat 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of margarine with an electric mixer until it turns fluffy.
- Now in a bowl, beat 5 egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix this in the flour and combine them well.
- In a large glass bowl, beat egg whites till they turn foamy and stiff peaks form. With the help of a rubber spatula, mix 1/3 egg whites in the batter and fold them together. Add the remaining egg whites to it and mix them well.
- Divide the batter into two bowls. Add cocoa powder to one batter bowl and combine them. Take the prepared baking dish and pour the white batter into it. Top it over with the chocolate batter and add cherries on the top.
- Bake it for 25-30 minutes and check with the toothpick. The toothpick should be clean. Cool the cake before removing it from the dish.
- For the buttercream, beat 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of margarine, 2 egg yolks, sugar and rum. Beat till they turn fluffy and light. Spread this on the cake and refrigerate the cake till the time to serve.
Note– The moment you take the cake out of the oven and flip it, wipe the parchment paper with wet cold towel. This will help in getting the paper off easily.
This cake is also known as snow white cake because of the beautiful red, the white and black color of the cake. You can store this cake in an airtight container for upto 3 days. Keep in mind to put it out of the refrigerator before the serving time so that the glaze gets soft. This will make it taste better.
Nutritional Breakdown of Donauwelle
To check the nutritional breakdown of this Donauwelle cake, check out the table that I’ve mentioned below.
How to Make Donauwelle at Home | Video
Here is the video to help you in every step of cooking. If you want to know more details of the recipe, kindly watch this video as it will help you.
So what are your views about this recipe? Let me know your reviews to help you out if anything has to be made clear. I am happy to help you. Share this recipe with your friends and do comment in the section below with your experience and queries.