Want to satisfy your coffee cravings by getting a few drinks from Starbucks? Surely you can do that, but can you pay with Apple Pay at Starbucks? This is the question almost everybody has in their mind and wants an answer to! I mean, it would be tragic if you were ordering your favorite drink at Starbucks and forgot your wallet at home!
Starbucks takes Apple Pay payments made by customers for their orders. Apple Pay can be used by customers to pay for drive-thru orders, in-house orders, and online orders made at Starbucks. The only requirement for you to be able to use Apple Pay is that you need to have an Apple device, create an account and link your card with the same.
Starbucks is the world’s largest coffeehouse chain. With its headquarters in Washington, the chain has its outlets all over the world. Starbucks has its locations set up in over 79 countries, spread over six continents. The total number of Starbucks outlets amounted to a whopping 32,660 back in 2020. With its ongoing success, you can definitely be on the lookout for some more!
Starbucks offers its customers everything from thirst-quenching drinks to satiating food! Its menu has a wide range of items and features items made using the best ingredients. The chain serves both cold as well as hot drinks, instant coffee, whole-bean coffee, caffe latte, pastries, espresso, snacks, loose-leaf teas, juices, and Frappuccino beverages.
In this article, we’ll talk about all that you need to do to make a payment using Apple Pay at Starbucks. You’ll get to know all about whether or not Starbucks accepts Apple Pay, if Apple Pay is safe to use to make payments at Starbucks, other methods of payment at Starbucks, etc. All the key details about the usage of Apple Pay at Starbucks are given further in this article! Happy reading!
Does Starbucks Accept Apple Pay?
If you have a mind prone to distraction like mine, then there must’ve been at least one instance of you forgetting your wallet at home! Nothing makes you feel more helpless than finding out you have no cash while trying to make a payment for a purchase. That is why you should always have a digital wallet as a backup option, no matter what.
Starbucks accepts payments made using Apple Pay by customers for their respective orders. The chain accepts Apple Pay for orders placed through any of the ways – drive-thru orders, in-house orders, and online orders. Starbucks goes to hell and beyond to provide its customers with the best services, avoiding inconveniences of any sort, especially when it comes to payment.
Starbucks welcomed Apple Pay as a payment method for customers back in 2015 and has been doing great ever since. The collaboration between these two apps is one for the books! Why? Well, Starbucks’ app has been dominating the whole mobile payment scene for a long time, but now that Apple Pay is working with almost every chain or store, the latter surpassed the popularity of the Starbucks app.
Back in 2015, when it was announced that Starbucks would be working with Apple Pay, the vice president for business development and sales at Unbound Commerce in Boston, Wilson Kerr, had been making quite some speculations.
Kerr said, “The real question is whether or not Starbucks will update their POS, to allow Apple Pay to be used to pay for coffee, versus just loading the card. This is unlikely, in my opinion, as Starbucks has worked long and hard to gain visibility into what gets spent, why, where and by whom. Apple Pay at the register would interrupt this data collection.”
Regardless, Wilson Kerr said, “Starbucks is the undisputed mobile payments retail leader, and this Apple partnership builds on the lead they established in 2009, with their Starbucks card app. This reduces friction and will likely mean more money gets loaded into the app,” when the collaboration was announced.
Not only is Starbucks benefitting from the incorporation of Apple Pay as a valid payment method at the chain, but it is also allowing customers to benefit from the same. Before we get into it, let’s get to know how you can set up an Apple Pay account.
How To Set Up An Apple Pay Account?
Setting up an Apple Pay account is easier than you think. All you need to do is follow the steps given below:-
- Open the Apple Pay app.
- A “+” sign will be displayed on the screen. Click on the same.
- Now, select the type of card you want to use – credit or debit.
- After selecting the type of card you want to use, click on the “Continue” button provided on the screen.
- When the card type is entered, you’ll be required to add the card details for the same. Add in the card details.
- After completing the above steps, you’ll need to complete a verification process offered by your financial institution.
- Once the verification process is completed, your card will be up and running with your Apple Pay app. Happy shopping!
How To Pay For Your Starbucks Order Using Apple Pay?
Payments for your Starbucks order can be made with great efficiency and ultimate ease by using Apple Pay. If you’re someone who relishes making cashless payments with just a click then Apple Pay is just what you need!
Payments can be made in various ways at Starbucks with Apple Pay. These include paying via the face ID feature, paying via the touch ID feature, paying for the drive-thru, online and in-house orders, and paying via Apple watch.
If you want to know how to make payments for your Starbucks order using Apple Pay, then you need to follow my lead. Come on, let’s go!
1. Paying Via The Face ID Feature
The face ID feature is one of the most used ways of making a payment using Apple Pay. The only requirement for using this feature is that you need to have face recognition on your Apple device. Now that you know about the basics of using the face ID feature for Apple Pay, let me tell you how to make a payment with it.
- To pay using the face ID feature, click on the side button of your Apple device twice to pay for your Starbucks order using your preferred card.
- Once you’re done with the first step, complete the face recognition using the face ID feature.
- Finally, hold your Apple device close to the contactless NFC card reader. Hold it there until the payment process is completed. You’ll know when the payment is made as a checkmark along with a “done” confirmation will be displayed on the screen of your device.
2. Paying Via The Touch ID Feature
If you’re not a big fan of the Face ID feature when it comes to using Apple Pay for payments, then the touch ID is just what you’re looking for! The touch ID feature for Apple Pay is super easy to use, and the transaction can be done within a few seconds. Want to know how to use it? Give the below-mentioned steps a read!
- To use the touch ID feature, place your finger on your Apple device’s touch recognition pad so you can make a payment using your card.
- After that, hold your phone in front of the NFC card reader to initiate the payment. Once you see the “done” confirmation along with a checkmark displayed on the screen, your payment will be completed.
3. Paying Using Apple Pay Via Apple Watch
In this technologically obsessed world, there’s no way that Apple Pay is just limited to iPhones or iPads. Can you guess what other device you can use it with? The ever-so-great Apple watch! So, the next time you forget your iPhone at home, you can use that smart device on your wrist to make an Apple Pay payment! Here’s how you can use it :-
- Double click on the side button of the Apple watch you’re wearing to pay for your order with your selected card.
- Once you do that, hold your Apple watch with its face down in front of the NFC reader.
- When your payment is successfully completed, your watch will make a buzzing sound or will vibrate to indicate the completion of the payment.
4. Paying Using Apple Pay Via The Starbucks App
The Starbucks app is one of the most popular apps when it comes to making online mobile payments. If you want to use Apple Pay for making in-app payments for Starbucks orders, follow the given steps :-
- Open the Starbucks app.
- Select your order.
- Go to the checkout page.
- On the checkout page, in the payment options, select the Apple Pay option.
- Lastly, select your preferred card to make the payment via Apple Pay.
5. Paying For Starbucks Drive-Thru Orders
If you despise digging into your wallet to find just the right amount of cash to pay for drive-thru orders, then you’ll be glad to know that Starbucks allows you to make Apple Pay payments for drive-thru orders! Not only is it incredibly easy, but it is also highly efficient. Come on, let’s know all about it!
- To pay your bill using Apple Pay for a Starbucks drive-thru order, notify the cashier about the payment method you want to use.
- Once you’ve informed the cashier, keep your Apple device near the NFC card reader. Hold your device there until a checkmark appears on the screen to complete the payment.
Other Payment Methods Acceptable At Starbucks
Sometimes, it just so happens that sometimes you might find yourself without cash and without Apple Pay. How can you pay for your Starbucks order then?
Besides cash and Apple Pay payments, there are several methods using which you can pay for your Starbucks order. These include payments made using credit cards, debit cards, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal, Starbucks cards, and Bakkt Cash.
A short description of each of these methods is given below. Take a look!
1. Credit Card
Your credit card can be used to make payments for your Starbucks orders. This payment method is super easy and takes minimal time and effort. All you need to do is take your credit card and swipe it in the card reader machine. Once it is done, you need to enter your pin. The billed amount will then be paid once all of the necessary steps are complete.
2. Debit Card
Paying for your Starbucks order using a debit card is almost the same as paying for it using a credit card. If you want to make a payment using a debit card, just swipe your card into the card reading machine and enter the pin for the same. The billed amount for your order will be deducted from your debit card’s balance.
3. Google Pay
Google Pay is a digital payment method that can be used to pay your bill at Starbucks. To pay your bill, just scan the outlet’s Google Pay ID and enter the bill to complete the payment.
4. Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay is similar to Google Pay when it comes to making a payment. It’s also the same as using Apple Pay. To make a payment using Samsung Pay, hold the phone close to the contactless reader once the authentication process is completed and make the payment.
PayPal is another one of the most common digital payment methods. All you need to do is make a PayPal account, link your PayPal account and use it to make payments for any Starbucks order and whenever necessary.
6. Bakkt Cash
The Bakkt Cash app converts digital currency into real-time money for you. Your local Starbucks might not let you make a purchase using bitcoin, so instead, you can use Bakkt cash to pay for your Starbucks order. Fun, right?
Benefits Of Using Apple Pay At Starbucks
The benefits of using Apple Pay to make payments are endless. Not only does Apple Pay make payments easier, it also offers you an opportunity to earn additional rewards. Given below are the benefits you can avail by using Apple Pay at Starbucks:-
- Cashback – If you’re making frequent transactions via Apple Pay, you’ll get a 3% cashback with almost every transaction.
- Security – Apple Pay allows you to make secure and safe payments. The app doesn’t steal any personal information. Hence, you can make payments without worrying about the same.
- Efficiency – Payments with Apple Pay are easy and efficient and can be completed with just a single click.
- Convenient – Using Apple Pay for making payments is very convenient. It allows you to make cashless transactions without any hassle.
Starbucks allows customers to make payments for their orders using Apple Pay. The chain recognizes Apple Pay as a valid payment method. You can use Apple Pay to pay for online orders, drive-thru orders, and in-house orders. So, the next time you’re placing an order at Starbucks, try paying the bill using Apple Pay!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you use Apple Pay to make payments at Starbucks?
You can use Apple Pay to make payments at Starbucks as it is an acceptable payment method at the chain.
What are the different ways using which you can make an Apple Pay payment at Starbucks?
The different ways via which you can make an Apple Pay payment at Starbucks are paying via the face ID feature, paying via the touch ID feature, paying for the drive-thru, online and in-house orders, and paying via Apple watch.
What are the other payment methods accepted at Starbucks?
The other payment methods accepted at Starbucks include cash payments, credit card payments, debit card payments, Google Pay payments, Samsung Pay payments, PayPal payments, and Bakkt Cash payments.