Cullen Skink is one of Scotland’s most famous soup that is made of smoked haddocks. And today, I’ll be showing you how you can make it at your home.
This soup basically originated in Scotland and is very famous over there and is considered a local speciality. Cullen skink got its name from a town named ‘Cullen’ in Moray area of Scotland. Locally, this recipe has some variations but the one I am going to teach you is the best in my opinion.
To make cullen skink, add butter and onions in a pan and fry them. Now add potatoes and water and let it simmer. Now take a pan and put haddock and milk in it and cook it. Now after some time, combine the haddock mixture with the potato mixture and serve.
This smoky and comfort food is a treat for everyone. But to make this Scottish skink soup, you need to follow the detailed procedure that I’ve mentioned below. Otherwise, you might not be able to get the best results.
Ingredients For Cullen Skink
- 1 Onion
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 250g Smoked Haddock
- 400g Peeled Potatoes
- ½ bunch Parsley
- 250ml Whole Milk
Onions, butter, potatoes and milk are very commonly present in all households. I think you might have to go out to get smoked haddock and parsley. So quickly grab these ingredients and get to know about the time taken to make it.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Cullen Skink?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||30 minutes||40 minutes|
As the time it will take to be prepared has been calculated. Let’s get to the proper detailed recipe so that you can prepare it well.
Steps To Make Cullen Skink
- Firstly, take a pan and add in the melted butter and then put the flame on medium and add in the onions and fry them for about 7-8 minutes and let their colour change to brown.
- Now add in the potatoes cut into small cubes along with 2 cups of water and boil it.
- Now put the flame on low and let it simmer for 11-16 minutes.
- Now place the haddock in a pan and add in milk until it is fully covered with milk and then cook it on a medium flame for about 6 minutes till it gets soft.
- Now take out the haddock and keep it still for some time and then flake it into large pieces and remove the bones.
- Now add the haddock back into the milk pan along with the mixture prepared earlier and let it cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes.
- At last season it with salt and sprinkle parsley over it and serve.
This cullen skink soup is something that is worth trying. The flavours of this recipe will burst in your mouth and make you fall in love with it.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Cullen Skink
While eating cullen skink, you all must be worried about the nutrition content. So for that check out the table given above.
How To Make Cullen Skink At Home | Video
I have also uploaded a video with this which can help you in the process. Watch the video and try this Cullen Skink.
Try making this at your home and let me know your reviews regarding my recipe in the comment box. You can also check our website and try some other dishes. Also, drop in your suggestions if you want any other recipe. I will be happy to help you make more tasty dishes. Till then, enjoy your luscious dessert.