Crockpot rump roast is perfect for a happy Sunday meal. Trust me, it adds more taste and delight to family dinners. So, here’s the recipe for a fork-tender rump roast that you can prepare easily at home in a crockpot.
Rump roast is hard to cook because of its thickness and hard connective tissues. You must be thinking about why I chose crockpot for this recipe. Well, a crockpot gives the right amount of heat and pressure. It slowly heats the beef and melts down all its hard connective tissues. The fats and connective tissues get dissolved in the gravy inside the pot. All we’re left with is a delicious fork-tender rump roast.
To make a crockpot rump roast, mix dry-rub and spread all over the roast. Sear the roast and put it in a crockpot with onion, garlic, bay leaves, and carrots. Add tomato paste, wine (optional), and salt. Cook it on a low setting for 8-9 hours. After the roast is cooked, thicken the gravy slurry by boiling and whisking it. Pour the gravy on the roast and serve it on a platter.
I’ll give you step-by-step instructions on how to make a crockpot roast rump at home. You can also watch a similar video I’ve provided below. So, read this article and try this recipe at home. If you love it, don’t forget to rate it in the recipe card below. But before getting the instructions, check out our other main course recipes below.
1. Brazilian Fish Stew – Brazilian Fish Stew is a delicacy that hails from Salvador. This dish is a delight made with coconut milk, firm white fish, and a selected mix of spices. This dish is also known as Moqueca in different regions of Brazil.
2. Instant Pot Beef Broccoli – Instant Pot Beef Broccoli is a recipe that brings forth the goodness of beef and broccoli with a delicious Asian Sauce. The beef is so heavenly tender that it melts in your mouth.
3. Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken– Even though Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken is a tricky dish to cook but if you follow this recipe religiously, you will be able to cook the chicken to perfection.
4. Herbes de Provence Chicken– This recipe is an exquisite part of French and Mediterranean cuisine. The blend of spices and herbs adds an exceptional flavor to the chicken which makes it stand out from the rest of chicken-based dishes.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Crockpot Rump Roast?
- Crock pot – Slow cook the ribs in a crock pot.
- Knife and Chopping Tray – Do the slicing and dicing on a chopping tray with a knife.
- Plates – Make the dry rub on the plate. Also, serve the roast in plates.
- Whisk and Spatula – Use the whisk to make the gravy and the spatula to stir the things in the pot.
- Medium Stockpot – Make the gravy in a medium stockpot.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Crockpot Rump Roast?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|25 Minutes||8 Hours||8 Hours 25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Crockpot Rump Roast?
- Rump Roast – Use a well-marbled rump roast for an extra flavorful dish.
- Olive Oil – Cook the roast in olive oil and brown it in.
- Carrots, Yellow Onion, Celery, and Garlic – Roast the meat along with these vegetables. This will give it a sweet and earthy flavor.
- Bacon – Bacon is laid on top of the roast and cooked along with it.
- Beef Broth and Tomato Paste – Add the beef broth and tomato paste to the pot as well, This will add a rich and tangy flavor to the roast.
- Dry Red Wine – Thee wine is optional but it is highly recommended. It will add another dimension of taste to the roast.
- Salt – Season the roast a little with some salt.
- Bay Leaves – Add a warm and earthy taste to the roast with some bay leaves.
For The Dry Rub
- Sweet Paprika – Add some sweet paprika to the dry rub. This will make the roast a little spicy.
- Garlic Powder – The garlic powder adds a roasted garlic flavor to the roast.
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper – Add some seasoning to the dry rub as well.
- Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, and Parsley – These are the herbs that go into the dry rub.
For Gravy Slurry
- All-Purpose Flour – Mix the flour with the slurry to make a thick gravy.
- Beef Broth – Flavor the gravy with beef broth.
Steps To Make Crockpot Rump Roast
1. All Shades Of Brown
First, let’s make the dry rub for the roast. Mix sweet paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and the herbs for dry rub in a plate and rub this mixture on all sides of the roast. Then, heat oil in a heavy pot on high flame and liberally brown the roast on all sides.
2. Times Moves Slow Here
Place the roast in a slow cooker. Add broth to the pot, return to boil, and whisk to loosen up the brown bits. Add wine, tomato paste, and salt and whisk to combine. This will give flavor to your rump roast.
Place onion, garlic, carrots, garlic, celery, and bay leaves around the roast in the slow cooker. Lay the strips of bacon on the roast and alongside the roast. Pour the beef broth and tomato paste mixture over everything. Cook it on low setting for about 8-9 hours. Cooking the beef on a low setting as it is best for a flavorful tender beef.
3. The Details Are All Slurry
Pour the liquid from the crockpot into a medium stockpot leaving the roast and vegetables in the crockpot. Boil and whisk the gravy slurry and continue whisking until the gravy is thickened. Season it with salt and pepper.
4. Roast With A Touch Of Gravy
Place the pot roast on a serving platter and spoon the vegetables around it. Discard the bay leaves and bacon. Pour little gravy on it and serve with gravy on the side along with potatoes and your choice of sides. Your delicious crockpot rump roast is ready!
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||3482 IU|
|Vitamin C||3 mg|
How Will The Crockpot Rump Roast Look And Taste Like?
The crockpot rump roast is a tender roasted beef. It has the warmth of the added spices and the sweet and earthy taste of the vegetables. The roast also has a spicy and herby taste because of the dry rub. The flavorful gravy takes the taste of te roast up a notch. Slow cook this roast at breakfast so you can have it for dinner.
Crockpot Rump Roast Recipe
- 4 pounds Rump Roast (well marbled)
- 2 tablespoons Oil (extra virgin)
- 2 Carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 Yellow Onion (properly diced)
- 2 Ribs Celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 strips Bacon (cut in half)
- 2 ½ cups Beef Broth
- ½ cup Dry Red Wine (optional but highly recommended)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Bay Leaves
For the Dry Rub
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Basil
- ¼ teaspoon Parsley
For Gravy Slurry
- 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour (mixed into a slurry)
- ½ cup Beef Broth
- Mix all the ingredients for dry rub in a plate and rub this mixture on all sides of the roast. Heat oil in a heavy pot on high flame and liberally brown the roast on all sides.
- Place the roast in a slow cooker. Add broth to the pot, return to boil, and whisk to loosen up the brown bits. Add wine, tomato paste, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Place onion, garlic, carrots, garlic, celery, and bay leaves around the roast in the slow cooker. Lay the strips of bacon on the roast and alongside the roast. Pour the beef broth and tomato paste mixture over everything.
- Cook it on low setting for about 8-9 hours. Cooking the beef on a low setting as it is best for a flavorful tender beef.
- Pour the liquid from the crockpot into a medium stockpot leaving the roast and vegetables in the crockpot.
- Boil and whisk the gravy slurry and continue whisking until the gravy is thickened. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Place the pot roast on a serving platter and spoon the vegetables around it. Discard the bay leaves and bacon. Pour little gravy on it and serve with gravy on the side along with potatoes and your choice of sides.
- Don’t be afraid to brown the roast. All those burnt crispy bits add flavor and enhance the taste.
- You can prepare your own style of gravy like the one provided in the video.
- Roast rump can also be cooked without searing and can be directly placed in the crockpot.
- If you don’t have the ingredients for dry-rub, use an envelope of Italian dry seasoning and other ingredients for your choice of flavor.
- Make sure the roast turns out fork-tender after cooking. If not, cook it for some more time.
This was the whole recipe for the crockpot rump roast. Try to make this roast recipe at home and tell me in the comments how well you liked it. I’ll see you next time with another great recipe.