Homemade recipes have some different tastes and freshness in them. I prefer to make homemade food and most of you prefer the same. I have provided you previously with some of the restaurant style dishes too. But have you ever thought of making beer at home? You might say yes. But the dilemma might be- Can you make it at home? Yes, you can. So I am sharing one beer recipe.
The recipe is of Cream Ale, an American beer. As the name suggests, Cream Ale does not have cream as its ingredient. It is a light beer that can be consumed repeatedly. It is an American style lager with a touch of corn in it. Ales give you a more bitter taste. Till the 20th century cream ales remained localized. But after the Canadian brewers started brewing cream ales, it got improved.
This pale golden lager became popular in America and Canada after the 20th century. It was produced in a different way making it more refined than before. So let’s give it a try at home with this recipe below. See the directions to follow to prepare it. Let’s start with the ingredients first.
Ingredients for Cream Ale
|2 Row Malt||6lbs/2.7kg|
|Corn Sugar||¾ cup|
|White Labs WLP080 Yeast||Cream Ale Yeast Blend|
The ingredients for making the beer will be available at a homebrew store. If not available nearby your place, then you can even opt for the online supplier. I prefer to buy them in bulk and then measure and use them. Till then, take a look at the hop schedule.
|3.5AAU Hallertau Magnum hops (0.25 oz. 7 g at 14% alpha acids)||60 minutes|
|1.9AAU Saaz hops (0.5 oz./14 g at 3.75% alpha acids)||10 minutes|
Let’s take a look at the steps involved in the beer making process.
Cream Ale Recipe
- Take the grains and mill them. Mix calcium chloride and strike with 13.1 liters of water with a temperature of 164 °F (73 °C). Make a mash with this at a temperature of 150 °F (66 °C). Hold on to this temperature for 60 minutes.
- Add boiling after to this mash to reach the temperature of 168 °F (76 °C). Hold onto this temperature for 5 minutes and then start with vorlauf.
- Moist the grains with enough water to get a wort of 6.5 gallons (24.6 L). Boil it for 60 minutes and add hops as per the given hop schedule.
- After the boil, whirlpool the mash for 5 minutes and settle it for 5 minutes. Rest the wort to chill to reach the temperature of 65 °F (18 °C) and pitch in the yeast.
- While fermentation, allow the beer to raise to the temperature of 68 °F (20 °C). Hold this temperature for ten days or till the fermentation is done, whatever is the later one.
- Bottle up the beer and let it get carbonated to 2.5 volumes.
Content Information in Cream Ale
How to Make Cream Ale at Home | Video
To help you out, I have uploaded the video of the recipe. Watch it for better clarity of the process.
After trying the recipe, do share your reviews in the comment section. And for those who are having a query related to the recipe, feel free to ask your questions in the comment section. I will get back to you with the best possible solution.