Thanksgiving is the perfect time to indulge in some cranberries along with a feast. But, what to do if you have a lot of leftovers? Well, there is no need to worry, as you can turn your leftover cranberry sauce into some delicious cranberry mayo!
Want to add a bit of flavor to a simple sandwich or a burger, too, for that matter? Just use some cranberry mayo to enjoy Thanksgiving! The recipe is easy-to-make.
To make cranberry mayo, prepare cranberry sauce by boiling cranberries. Now prepare mayo by mixing egg yolks, salt, oil, and lemon juice until thick.
Now mix together prepared cranberry sauce and mayonnaise sauce in a bowl. Add in salt and lemon juice and serve.
If your cranberry mayo is especially tart, stir in a spoonful of honey or maple syrup to balance it out. If your cranberry sauce is too sweet, add a splash of lemon juice to bring a bit of that tart flavor back in.
I have every single detail you will need to make this cranberry mayo recipe. So, let us discover this recipe for cranberry mayo without further ado!
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
- Little Caesars Buttery Garlic Dipping Sauce
- Lobster Dip Sauce Recipe
- Red Chile Sauce Recipe
- Texas Salsa Recipe
- Chile Con Queso Recipe
- Hoffman House Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- Besciamella Recipe
- Red Pepper Coulis Recipe
- Cheese Sauce
- Tomato Basil Pizza Sauce
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Cranberry Mayo?
- Mixing Bowls – You will need mixing bowls to mix the cranberry sauce and mayonnaise together and to separate egg yolks from whites.
- Whisk – You will need a large and sturdy whisk to mix the cranberry sauce and mayonnaise together.
- Measuring Cups And Spoons – To get precise measurements, especially for the mayonnaise, you will need a set of measuring cups and spoons.
- Spoons – In case measuring spoons are not available; you can instead use regular teaspoons and tablespoons to measure your ingredients.
- Saucepan – If you are planning to make cranberry sauce fresh at home, instead of using leftovers or store-bought sauce, you will need a saucepan.
- Tray – A tray will be required to cool the cranberry sauce rapidly. However, this is optional.
- Spatula – To not waste even a single morsel of cranberry sauce or mayonnaise, a silicon spatula can be a useful tool.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Cranberry Mayo?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||20 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Cranberry Mayo
For Cranberry Sauce:
- Cranberries – You will need one cup of fresh or frozen cranberries, which will make the base of the cranberry sauce.
- Water – Water will help thin down the consistency of the cranberry sauce. You can also use orange juice, in case you would like a really tart flavor.
- Orange Zest – Half a teaspoon of orange zest will also help with bringing out a better and more tart flavor in the sauce. However, this is completely optional.
- Sugar – Sugar will help balance out the tart flavor of the cranberries with some sweetness. You can also use caster sugar.
- Eggs – Eggs will help form the thick consistency of the mayonnaise.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is basically what helps give the mayonnaise a thick consistency. You can also instead use any other oil with a neutral flavor and scent.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice will help add a little acidity to your mayonnaise and also help stabilize the mixture. You can also use white vinegar, in case you are all out of lemons!
- Salt – A pinch of any sort of salt you prefer needs to be added to the mayonnaise mixture as a seasoning.
For Cranberry Mayo:
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is, of course, one of the main ingredients in cranberry mayo. You will need ½ cup of either homemade or store-bought mayonnaise.
- Cranberry Sauce – Cranberry sauce will give the mayo a classic thanksgiving flavor. You can also use store-bought cranberry sauce.
- Lemon Juice – To add a little more acidity and flavor to your cranberry mayo, use one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Salt – Use half a teaspoon of salt for some added seasoning.
Steps To Make Cranberry Mayo
1. Make The Cranberry Sauce
The first step to making cranberry mayo is to make cranberry sauce. Of course, you can skip this step in case you are using leftover cranberry sauce or store-bought cranberry sauce.
Firstly, in case you are using fresh cranberries, clean them thoroughly under water and discard all the bad cranberries.
Meanwhile, heat the water and sugar in a saucepan, and once it starts to boil, add in the cranberries. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
Then add the orange zest and transfer it to a tray or a bowl for the sauce to cool thoroughly.
2. Whip Up The Mayonnaise
Again, you can skip this step if you are using store-bought mayonnaise. To make mayo from scratch, first, separate the egg whites and yolks.
We will be using only yolks to make the mayo. Add the lemon juice and salt to egg yolks in a bowl and whisk till the egg yolks are lighter in color.
Once the egg yolks are lighter, slowly start pouring in the oil in a single stream while continuously whisking. Make sure you don’t stop whisking while adding the oil, as that may curdle the mayonnaise.
Also, make sure that the table you are working on is cool, as heat can also curdle the mayonnaise. Once all the oil is added in, you should get a thick mayonnaise consistency. Cool it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
3. Make The Cranberry Mayo
Once your mayonnaise is ready, and your cranberry sauce has cooled down properly, you can begin to make your cranberry mayo.
This is probably the easiest step in the recipe! In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and cranberry sauce with a whisk or an electric mixer.
Once the two ingredients are mixed in together properly, add the salt and lemon juice. You can also add a pinch of pepper, if you would like, for added flavor.
Once everything is mixed together, add to a small bowl and cool, or serve immediately!
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.4 g|
How Will Cranberry Mayo Look And Taste Like?
Cranberry mayo is really easy-to-make and is fun to eat too! I am sure that once all the kitchen work is over, you may wonder what cranberry mayo is supposed to look and taste like.
The cranberry mayo will have a pink color, with little bits of cranberries. Once you bite into it, you will get that perfect balance of flavors, which is tart, sweet, and also smooth at the same time.
You can also add some extra ingredients to this mixture if you would like, like lemon zest, in case you would like a sharper flavor. Slather a hefty amount of this mayonnaise onto a turkey sandwich, and enjoy!
Cranberry Mayo Recipe
- Measuring cups
For Cranberry Sauce :
- 1 cup Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- ¼ cup Water
- ½ teaspoon Orange Zest
- ¼ cup Sugar
For Mayonnaise :
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For Cranberry Mayo :
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Cranberry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For Cranberry Sauce :
- Clean the cranberries thoroughly under water.
- Heat water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the cranberries.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes and then add the orange zest. Remove in a bowl and let it cool thoroughly.
For Mayonnaise :
- Separate egg yolks from the whites.
- To the egg yolks, add lemon juice and salt and whisk till it is lighter.
- Once the egg yolks are lighter, add in the olive oil in a single stream, while whisking continuously.
- Once all the oil is mixed in, you should get a thick mayonnaise. Let it cool in the fridge for 15 minutes.
For Cranberry Mayo :
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and cranberry sauce.
- Add in the salt and lemon juice and mix. Your cranberry mayo is ready!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is my mayonnaise getting lumps?
Your mayonnaise might be getting lumps if it has curdled
Is there a way to save curdled mayonnaise?
Yes, you can add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to the curdled mayonnaise, which will help it set, and then continue adding the rest of the oil.
In case I am not able to fix the curdled mayonnaise, what should I do?
If a situation occurs where you are not able to save curdled mayonnaise, you might have to start again from scratch.
What should I do if the cranberries are too sour?
In case the cranberries are too sour, you can add a little extra sugar while making the sauce.
Is it necessary to use orange juice in place of water to make the cranberry sauce?
No, you can use water or even cranberry juice if you would like.
Let me know in the comments below how the recipe of cranberry mayo turns out for you! For more such thanksgiving recipes, do check out the recipe section on our website.