These crispy breaded bites are one of the reasons why we can’t get enough of Cracker Barrel menu! Cracker Barrel homestyle chicken is crispy golden chicken loaded with the flavors of seasoning spices. It’s so crispy that you’re gonna hear it crackling into your mouth with every bite. About the taste? Well! This chicken can impress even the most finicky gourmand. But, you can enjoy Cracker Barrel homestyle chicken at your home. Just try this copycat recipe and trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
Cracker Barrel homestyle chicken is a crispy chicken breaded with seasoning flour and buttermilk. Butter adds flavor to the chicken and maintains its inner moisture while it’s cooking. The seasoning flour has salt and pepper. You can add more spices if you want and make it your own homestyle chicken.
Pound the meat with a meat pounder after placing it between two wax papers to evenly cook the chicken pieces. Now, let’s start with the recipe for Cracker Barrel homestyle chicken. Check out the list of ingredients and equipment below and read the instructions carefully. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other copycat Cracker Barrel recipes from our website.
1. Cracker Barrel Mashed Potatoes– Cracker Barrel mashed potatoes has creamy mashed potatoes loaded with the taste of cream, milk, and soft potatoes. This delicious mixture is seasoned with salt and pepper. Cracker Barrel mashed potatoes can be enjoyed as a side with any main course meal.
2. Cracker Barrel Baby Carrots– Cracker Barrel baby carrots has soft and tender carrots. These are flavored with brown sugar, butter, and salt. These carrots can be enjoyed as a side dish. Cracker Barrel carrots are easy to make at home and get ready within a few minutes.
3. Cracker Barrel Green Beans– Cracker Barrel green bean has bacon cooked with green beans (with juice) and onion. This mixture is seasoned with salt and pepper. These soft and tender beans can be enjoyed as a perfect side dish with meat or any other main course meal.
4. Cracker Barrel Chicken Tenders– Cracker Barrel chicken tenders has delicious marinated chicken. This chicken is filled with the flavors of Italian seasoning, lime juice, and honey. It’s pan-seared or grilled until it’s slightly charred. This chicken is a soft and spicy main course meal and can be paired with any side dish.
What Equipment Will You Need For Cracker Barrel Homestyle Chicken?
- Bowl- Use a large bowl to make the flour seasoning and another bowl for the buttermilk.
- Deep Fryer- To deep fry the chicken, you need a deep fryer.
- Spatula- Use a spatula to stir the chicken in the deep fryer and to mix the ingredients in the flour mixture.
- Spoon- Use a spoon to dilute the buttermilk with water.
- Kitchen Towel- The chicken should be dry before it’s added to the bowl of seasoning flour. Pat dry the chicken with the kitchen towel.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Cracker Barrel Homestyle Chicken?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need For Cracker Barrel Homestyle Chicken?
- Oil- The chicken for this recipe is deep-fried. So, oil is a vital ingredient in this recipe. You can use the vegetable oil of your choice for this recipe.
- Chicken- Use four boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- All-purpose Flour- To make the flour seasoning, you need about two cups of all-purpose flour.
- Salt- Add two teaspoons of salt to the flour to enhance the taste of the chicken. Also, you need some more salt to season the chicken before coating it with the flour mixture.
- Pepper- Add two teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper to the flour to make the seasoning flour. You need some extra pepper to season the chicken.
- Buttermilk- Use a cup of buttermilk for the chicken. The buttermilk adds flavor to the chicken and works as a sticking agent for the seasoning mixture.
- Water- Dilute the buttermilk slightly by adding a half cup of water to it.
Steps To Make Cracker Barrel Homestyle Chicken
1. Prep The Buttermilk Mixture And The Flour Mixture
To make seasoning flour, add flour, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix them to combine and form the seasoned flour. Take another bowl and add buttermilk to it along with water.
2. Dredge The Chicken
Pat the chicken breasts dry using the paper towel and then season them with salt and pepper. Put the chicken in the bowl containing flour mixture and coat the chicken skin with the flour. Now, dip this chicken in the buttermilk and again coat it with seasoned flour.
3. Deep Fry The Chicken
Preheat about 3 or 4 inches of oil (up to 350 F) in a deep fryer or a pot. Deep fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil and turn the chicken breasts to have both sides of the chicken crispy and golden-brown. Cook each chicken piece for 7 to 8 minutes in the oil. Rest the chicken on the wire rack after taking it out from the oil.
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||172 IU|
|Vitamin C||3 mg|
How Will Cracker Barrel Homestyle Chicken Look and Taste?
The delicious Cracker Barrel homestyle chicken is ready! It’s crispy and delicious. This chicken is crispy brown on the crust and is soft from the inside. It’s loaded with the taste of buttermilk and seasoning spices like salt and pepper. The deep-fried chicken can be enjoyed as a side dish with any condiment of your choice.
Cracker Barrel Homestyle Chicken Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Water
- Oil (for frying)
- Add flour, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix them to combine and form the seasoned flour. For buttermilk mixture, take another bowl and add buttermilk to it along with water.
- Use the paper towel to pat the chicken dry and then season it with salt and pepper. Put the chicken in the bowl containing flour mixture and coat the chicken skin with the flour. Now, dip this chicken in the buttermilk and again coat it with seasoned flour.
- Preheat about 3 or 4 inches of oil (up to 350 F) in a deep fryer or a pot. Deep fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil and turn the chicken breasts to have both sides of the chicken crispy and golden-brown. Cook each chicken piece for 7 to 8 minutes in the oil. Rest the chicken on the wire rack after taking it out from the oil.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Tell me in the comments below and try out our other recipes too.