If you like chicken drenched in nutritious gravy with spongy dumplings, Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings is just your type. This delicious dish is loaded with nutrients and mouth-watering flavors. It has soft chicken pieces and dumplings cooked in thick and flavorsome gravy. It’s a heart-warming dish that’s perfect for you when you want a diet-friendly restaurant dish.
Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings has dumplings and chicken cooked in chicken broth. The onions and celery added to the broth give nice sweet and herbal flavors to the gravy. It’s mildly seasoned with salt and pepper. The way it’s cooked, it feels more like a soup. You can try this recipe too. Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings is easy to make and this dish is an instant hit with kids. Don’t believe me? Then, try it now.
You can also use wheat starch to make the dumplings. Here is a list of wheat starch substitutes. Let’s make Cracker Barrel’s chicken and dumplings. Do you have all the equipment and ingredients we need? To be sure about it, check out the lists below.
Then, we’ll start with the recipe instructions and you’ll be left with the most amazing restaurant dish. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other copycat Cracker Barrel recipes from our website.
1. Cracker Barrel Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake – Cracker Barrel Coca-Cola chocolate cake has soft cake filled with Coca-Cola and chocolate flavor. The frosting used in this dessert is filled with the flavors of Coca-Cola, cocoa powder, and chocolate syrup.
2. Cracker Barrel Pancake – Cracker Barrel pancakes are loaded with the taste of eggs, butter, and sugar. These pancakes have a smooth batter filled with butter, eggs, and buttermilk. These pancakes are fluffy and soft and are served with butter and maple syrup.
3. Cracker Barrel Chocolate Pecan Pie – Cracker Barrel chocolate pecan pie has chopped pecans and chocolate chips with sweet and smooth pie filling in crispy pie crust. The pie filling is loaded with the flavors of margarine, vanilla, and eggs. Pecans and chocolate chips added on top give a nutty-sweet crunch to each bite.
4. Cracker Barrel French Toast – Cracker Barrel French toast has soft bread coated with egg mixture. This egg mixture is loaded with egg and milk. It’s cooked on the butter-greased griddle and is served with butter or maple syrup on top.
What Equipment Will You Need For Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings?
- Bowl- Use a large mixing bowl to prepare the dough for the dumplings. You also need a bowl to keep the shredded chicken before adding it into the gravy.
- Spatula-Use a spatula to safely stir the gravy and the dumplings into the broth.
- Pot- You will need a large stockpot or a Dutch pot to cook chicken and dumplings.
- Knife- Use a sharp knife to cut the strips from the dough and to shred or chop the chicken.
- Sieve- Use a sieve to strain the broth from the pot.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||35 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need For Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings?
- Chicken Broth – You need to use six cups of chicken broth for the gravy. Chicken broth boosts the flavors in the gravy.
- Celery – Celery adds a fresh earthy flavor to the dish. Add two ribs of celery to the broth.
- Onion – Onion adds a mild sweet flavor. Add a half medium onion to the chicken broth.
- Chicken – Chicken is the main ingredient in this recipe. I’ve used about one pound of skinless boneless chicken breasts (cut in half).
- All-purpose Flour – You need three cups of all-purpose flour to make the dumplings for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder will aerate the dough as it cooks and makes it soft. Add a tablespoon of baking powder to the flour for the dumplings.
- Salt – Add salt to enhance the taste of the chicken and dumplings.
- Milk – You need to make the dough slightly soggy for the dumplings. For that, add a cup of milk to the flour mixture. Milk makes the dumplings soft and it adds depth to the flavors.
- Salt and pepper to taste – Salt and pepper are the basic seasoning spices added to the gravy. You must add salt and pepper according to your taste.
Steps To Make Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
1. Cook The Chicken
Add celery, chicken breasts, onion, and chicken broth to the pot over medium heat. Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove from the broth and shred or chop the chicken using a sharp knife. Remove the pot from the heat and discard the onions and celery from the broth.
2. Prepare The dumplings
To a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix them and then add milk. Whisk the mixture to make a shaggy dough. Cut this dough into 2-inch thick strips and add these strips into the simmering broth. Let these dumplings cook for about 30 minutes in the broth until the broth has a gravy-like thick consistency.
3. Add Chicken And dumplings To The Broth
While the dumplings are simmering into hot broth, add the shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper. The Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings are ready to serve.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||204 IU|
|Vitamin C||22 mg|
How Will Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Look and Taste?
Grab your spoon and get ready to taste Cracker Barrel’s chicken and dumplings. This gravy dripping chicken is filled with meaty taste with sweet and herbal flavors of onion and celery. The dumplings are soft fluffy soaked with delicious gravy. These dumplings are buttery smooth and melt into mouth. This dish is healthy and makes a perfect choice for those who love chicken.
Cracker Barrel Chicken And Dumplings Recipe
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 ribs Celery
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts (boneless skinless)
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1.25 teaspoon Salt
- 1.25 cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Add celery, chicken breasts, onion, and chicken broth to the pot over medium heat. Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove from the broth and shred or chop the chicken using a sharp knife. Remove the pot from the heat and discard the onions and celery from the broth.
- To a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix them and then add milk. Whisk the mixture to make a shaggy dough. Cut this dough into 2-inch thick strips and add these strips into the simmering broth. Let these dumplings cook for about 30 minutes in the broth until the broth has a gravy-like thick consistency.
- While the dumplings are simmering into hot broth, add the shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper. The Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings are ready to serve.
I’d love to know your experience with this recipe. Tell me in the comments below and check out our other copycat recipes too.