Cowboy caviar is a delicious, colorful and tasty salsa that anyone can easily make at home. It is simple and easy to make and can be made it in no time.
Cowboy caviar was first served on New Year’s Eve in Houston’s Country, Texas, in 1940. Due to this reason, this recipe is also known as Texas caviar. Anyone can make this salsa easily at home and it can be stored for almost 3 to 4 days without getting spoilt. You can have this recipe as a dip, salsa, or a salad.
Cowboy caviar can be easily made by just putting black-eyed peas, corn, black beans, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, onion and jalapeno in a bowl. Now, prepare the dressing and drizzle it over the mixture in the bowl. Season it with salt and pepper. Serve.
This was a summary of the recipe and the stepwise recipe is waiting ahead. So, without waiting any more, let’s start with the detailed ingredients, time taken and the detailed method to make this ultimate cowboy caviar. But before going to the full recipe, let’s check out some other healthy salads as well.
1. Conch Salad– If seafood is your first love, then here is an exotic dish from the coasts of the Bahamas for you. Conch Salad is a staple of Bahamas island. A fresh bowl of Conch Salad is a perfect way to embrace Bahamian culture.
2. Portuguese Octopus Salad– This amazing salad can be a part of your breakfast or an evening snack! According to the nutritional point of view, an octopus is a perfect choice because it is rich in iron, omega 3, selenium, copper and vitamin B12.
3. Poke Bowl– Poke is raw fish that is diced and is usually served as an appetizer. When served as a main course, it is served as a poke bowl. It is one of the main dishes of Native Hawaiian cuisine.
4. Eggplant Salad– Eggplant salad is a simple recipe and a great one, too. It requires ingredients that one can find easily in their pantry. It has a simple cooking process and is low in calories.
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- 2 cans Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 cans Black Beans
- 1 ½ Cups Corn Kernels
- 1 ½ Cups Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 ½ Cups Orange Bell Pepper
- ¾ Cups Chopped Red Onions
- ½ Cups Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Jalapenos
- 1 Avocado
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Garlic Clove
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Honey
- ⅛ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper
- In a large bowl, toss in the black-eyed peas, corn, black beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, onion and jalapeno. Add avocado in the end so, it doesn't turn bad.
- Now, take a cup and add all the dressing ingredients. Mix them well and drizzle them over the bowl.
- Season it with salt and pepper. Then, keep it still for about 21 minutes, so it marinates. Then, serve.