Cornmeal hamburger buns recipe is made from the same ingredients as a wheat bun. The only addition is the cornmeal. They are soft, pillowy, delicious, and high in fiber than the normal hamburger buns.
To make cornmeal hamburger buns, mix water, milk, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Then, add egg yolks, salt, butter, cornmeal, and flour to it. Knead it and make the dough.
Transfer the dough to a bowl and set it aside for half an hour. Then, make small balls of the dough. Place them on a baking tray and bake them for 30 minutes.
Here is a rule of thumb for you. When making any kind of rising bread, lightly push in the dough. If the dough bounce back, it means it’s ready. If it doesn’t bounce back, knead it more.
This was just a snippet of the recipe. Follow the below-given steps for the best results. Make sure you follow the full recipe. Here is a list of some other recipe that you might like.
Other Bread Recipes That You Can Try
- Banh Mi Recipe
- Pugliese Bread Recipe
- Yufka Recipe
- Rustic Italian Bread Recipe
- Rye Bread Recipe
- Orange Cranberry Bread Recipe
- Pizza Crust Recipe
- Rye Croutons Recipe
- Rosca De Reyes Recipe
- Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Cornmeal Hamburger Buns?
- Oven – Bake the buns in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Electric Mixer – Knead the dough in the electric mixer with paddle attachment.
- Bowl – Combine all the ingredients in the bowl.
- Baking Pan – Place the dough in the baking pan.
- Parchment Paper – Line a parchment paper on the baking sheet.
- Plastic Wrap – Use a plastic wrap to cover the bowl.
- Brush – Use a brush to brush the egg yolk mixture on the dough.
- Knife – Slice buns using a knife.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Cornmeal Hamburger Buns?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||30 Minutes||30 Minutes||1 Hour 15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Cornmeal Hamburger Buns?
- Bread Flour – Bread flour gives structure to the dough and make it more chewy.
- Yellow Cornmeal – Use cornmeal to add texture and flavor to bread.
- Water – Activate the dry yeast by mixing it with water.
- Milk – Milk adds richness and flavor to the dough. It also helps to create a tender texture and a soft crust.
- Egg Yolk – Egg yolk is added to the dough to add richness and flavor to the buns.
- Unsalted Butter – Use butter to make a soft dough.
- Olive Oil – Add olive oil to the dough to get moisture buns.
- Sugar – Add sweetness to the dough with sugar.
- Active Dry Yeast – Add dry yeast to the dough to make it rise.
- Salt – Enhance the flavor of buns with a pinch of salt.
Steps To Make Cornmeal Hamburger Buns
1. Mixing Ingredients
Add warm milk, water, sugar to an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Then sprinkle dry yeast in the mixture so it will activate. Then mix until the mixture becomes foamy for about five minutes.
Then, add three egg yolks, salt, butter, cornmeal, and bread flour to the mixer and continue mixing until the dough becomes soft, and smooth. The dough is ready.
2. Preparing The Dough
Grease the bowl with oil and place the dough inside the bowl. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and set it aside for around thirty minutes to allow the dough to rise.
3. Preheat The Oven
Preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for five minutes. Line a parchment paper on the baking sheet.
After the dough has risen, take it out of the bowl and shape it into small balls of around 2 1/4-inches-diameter each. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Make A Egg Wash
In a small bowl, mix some egg yolk and milk. Use this mixture to brush the top of the dough balls. This will moist the dough and give you soft buns. Now sprinkle cornmeal over the dough for the crunchy outer crust.
5. Bake Buns
Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and bake for about thirty minutes or until the buns start to rise and become golden brown.
Take the buns out of the oven and use a knife to split them in half. Enjoy warm and delicious cornmeal buns.
How Will A Cornmeal Hamburger Buns Look And Taste Like?
Cornmeal buns are a perfect alternative to traditional hamburger buns as they offer a unique texture and flavor. The addition of cornmeal to the dough gives the buns a slightly sweet and nutty taste, which complements the savory taste of the burger patty.
Moreover, the cornmeal also adds a subtle crunch to the buns, making them extra satisfying to bite into. Cornmeal hamburger buns have a beautiful golden color with a speckled texture from the cornmeal.
They are slightly denser than regular buns, but still soft and fluffy, making them perfect for holding all your favorite burger toppings.
Cornmeal Hamburger Buns
- Electric Mixer
- Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- 2 cups Bread Flour
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- ½ cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 4 Egg Yolk
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1½ cup Sugar
- 1 packet Active Dry Yeast
- 1½ Tablespoon Salt
- Add warm milk, water, and sugar to an electric mixer that has a paddle attached to it. Sprinkle active dry yeast on it as well. Mix it until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Now, in the same mixture, add 3 egg yolks, salt, butter, cornmeal, and bread flour. Mix it until the dough become soft and smooth.
- Oil the inside of a bowl and place the dough.
- Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and keep it aside for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven. Also, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, take the dough out of the bowl. Make small balls from it of around 2 1/4-inches-diameter each. Place the balls on the baking sheet.
- Now, in a small bowl, take some egg yolk and some milk and mix it. Brush the top of the dough with this mixture and sprinkle cornmeal on them.
- Place the baking tray in the oven. Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes until they start to rise and become golden brown.
- Take the buns out of the oven and split them in half using a knife.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I store the cornmeal hamburger buns?
After cooling the buns completely, store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag at room temperature for up to three days.
Can I make the buns in advance and freeze them?
Yes, you can make the buns in advance and freeze them for later use. Allow the buns to cool completely, then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a zip-lock bag.
Can I make cornmeal hamburger buns without a stand mixer?
Yes, you can make cornmeal hamburger buns without a stand mixer by mixing the ingredients by hand in a mixing bowl.
Can I use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast in the recipe?
Yes, you can use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast in the recipe. But, you need to adjust the amount of yeast used and the rise time of the dough.
Making your own cornmeal hamburger buns is an easy and rewarding endeavor. Not only do these homemade buns taste delicious, but they also provide a healthier option than the store-bought variety.
By following this recipe, you can create some heavenly burgers that your family will love. So give this recipe a try and enjoy the wonderful flavor of cornmeal hamburger buns!