Coq Au Vin is a French dish made with chicken, bacon, and vegetables that are braised in brandy and red wine. It is a unique and flavorful dish. It is also easy to make.
Coq Au Vin literally translates to ‘rooster in wine’. The chicken is typically braised in red burgundy. It also contains mushrooms, bacon, and other vegetables. It is a very unique recipe and is absolutely delicious.
To make Coq Au Vin, marinate chicken in wine and broth. Also, add the vegetables to it. Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Then, cook the chicken. Now, in a skillet, cook the onions, carrots, garlic, and tomato paste. Add the chicken and thyme to it. Also, saute mushrooms in a pan. Add the cooked bacon and mushrooms to the chicken. Cook them for 10 minutes.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Butterflied Roast Chicken– You must be wondering why the recipe is called butterflied roast chicken. This is because the technique used to make this chicken is known as butterflied technique. The technique involves roasting the chicken after removing the chicken’s backbone. This will flatten the chicken.
2. Peri-Peri Tofu with Kale and Mustard Seeds– Tofu is made from soybeans that are ground in water, heated, and coagulated with minerals like calcium or magnesium salt. The curds are then pressed into a block, which is then sold as tofu.
3. Persian Chicken– These Persian Chicken Breasts are quick and easy, making an exotic yet comforting dinner, perfect for serving with some jeweled rice and salad.
4. Grilled Ginger Salmon With Pineapple Chipotle Glaze– A grilled fish glazed with Pineapple Chipotle has a flavorous shiny topping that makes you wonder-struck. At the end of all-day previous preparations of this amazing dish, you get an ever so yummy tasting salmon, with the extreme tastes ever.
Coq Au Vin Recipe
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 ounces Mushrooms
- 8 ounces Pearl Onions
- 2 teaspoons Thyme Leaves
- 4 medium Carrots (sliced)
- 1 medium Onion (sliced)
- 3 strips Bacon
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 ½ cup Red Wine
- ¼ cup Brandy
- 2 teaspoons Tomato Paste
- Take a medium-sized bowl and add chicken thighs and drumsticks to it. Pour some wine and chicken stock into it. Prepare the vegetables along.
- Now, in a large skillet kept over medium-high heat, add the bacon to it and cook it until it gets crispy. After it’s done, remove them from the pan with the help of a spoon or spatula.
- After your chicken has been marinated with wine, take it out and dry it using a paper towel. Add this chicken to the skillet and cook it until golden brown, keeping the skin side down. After it’s done, take it out of the pan.
- Now, add some oil to the pan and cook the sliced onions and carrots. Cook them until golden brown for about 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook it along.
- Add tomato paste to the pan cook it until a sweet smell comes out of it. Stir it well and make sure nothing gets stuck on the base of the pan.
- Add the chicken to the pan and sprinkle some thyme over it. Now, cover the pot and lower the heat. Allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
- Add some oil into a skillet and saute mushrooms till they turn brown for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the chicken with pearl onions and cook for about 10 minutes more. Let the chicken cook in the pan and add bacon and mushrooms to it. Garnish with some fresh thyme and serve it hot.