Cochinita Pibil is an easy-to-make Mexican pork dish that originated from Yucatan, Mexico. Today, I’ll be showing you its simple recipe step-by-step.
Cochinita Pibil is a dish that I just randomly tried at a Mexican restaurant. I wanted to try something new and came across this amazing dish. I loved it very much and tried to make it at home. It turned out amazing. So, I wanted to share this recipe here for you to try.
To make Cochinita Pibil at home, cut the pork shoulder into small pieces. Then, marinate the pork in a mixture of orange juice, lime juice, salt, and achiote paste. Then, bake it in the oven. Shred the cooked pork meat. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Garnish with pickled red onions, dry Mexican cheese, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
The detailed stepwise cooking procedure, along with proper proportions of the ingredients is listed further. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Scottish Stovies– Scottish stovies are usually made from leftover scrap meat and onions and potatoes to aid wastage. The term ‘stovies’ comes from the way the dish is cooked. The potatoes are stewed slowly rather than boiled.
2. Rabo Encendido– Rabo Encendido is a bull’s tail stew. It is not complicated to make. It contains oxtail, vegetables and is infused with different spices and herbs. It just needs a little time and patience.
3. Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco– The recipe for today is Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco. It is a goat meat stew made with marinated meat. It is also known as Mexican braised goat and this dish is served from street carts to restaurants in Mexico.
4. Grilled Hanger Steak– This recipe has a key ingredient that I am sure you all are aware of, it’s beef, and everyone worldwide loves to have it.
Cochinita Pibil Recipe
- Food Processor
- 4 pounds Pork Shoulder or Pork Loin
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 85 g Achiote Paste
- Pickled Red Onions (for garnishing)
- Dry Mexican Cheese (for garnishing)
- Chopped Cilantro (for garnishing)
- Lime Wedges (for garnishing)
- Ground Cumin (for garnishing)
- Add orange juice, lime juice, achiote paste, and salt to a food processor and mix them.
- Cut the pork into small pieces of about 1.5 inches.
- Preheat the oven up to 320oF. Then, line up a casserole with many layers of foil to make a proper seal.
- Put the pork inside the casserole dish and close the foil tightly.
- Then, place the dish in the oven and bake it at 320oF for 3 ½ hours.When the pork is ready, take it out and put it into the serving tray.
- Shred the cooked pork. Season it with salt and pepper.Garnish it with lime wedges, cilantro, ground cumin, and Mexican cheese. Your dish is ready to serve.
- You can garnish it with lime wedges, cilantro, ground cumin and Mexican cheese.