Cochinita Pibil is an easy-to-make Mexican pork dish that originated from Yucatan, Mexico. Today, I’ll be showing you its simple recipe step-by-step.
Cochinita Pibil is a dish that I just randomly tried at a Mexican restaurant. I wanted to try something new and came across this amazing dish. I loved it so much that I tried to make it by myself and it turned out amazing. So, I wanted to share this recipe here for you to try and relish in its goodness.
To make Cochinita Pibil at home, you will need pork shoulder, orange juice, lime juice, achiote paste, pickled red onions, dry Mexican cheese, chopped cilantro, lime wedges. First, marinate the pork in orange juice, lime juice and salt with achiote paste then, bake it in the oven. Shred the cooked pork meat. This dish will be ready in no time.
The detailed stepwise cooking procedure, along with proper proportions of the ingredients is listed further. I am sure you would love this authentic Cochinita Pibil and share the recipe further with your friends and family.
Cochinita Pibil Recipe
- Food Processor
- 4 pounds Pork Shoulder or Pork Loin
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- ½ Cup Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 85 gm Achiote Paste
- Pickled Red Onions (for garnishing)
- Dry Mexican Cheese (for garnishing)
- Chopped Cilantro (for garnishing)
- Lime Wedges (for garnishing)
- Ground Cumin (for garnishing)
- Mix the orange and lime juice with the achiote paste and salt in a food processor. It is advised to do so the night before or the morning you wish to make the dish.
- Chop down the pork in small pieces about 1.5 inches. Put the pork in a bowl, then put over the marinade mixture and mix it well.
- The next step is to cover it and keep it in the freezer for 7 to 15 hours. It takes 4 hours to cook it.
- So firstly, preheat the oven up to 320-degree Fahrenheit. Then, line up a casserole with many layers of foil so that a proper seal is made.
- Put the pork inside and close the foil tightly. Then, place it in the oven and bake it at 320 degrees Fahrenheit for three and a half-hour.
- When the pork is ready, take it out and put it into the serving tray and season it with the appropriate amount of salt and pepper and serve it.
- You can garnish it with lime wedges, cilantro, ground cumin and Mexican cheese.