Cochinita Pibil is an easy-to-make mexican pork dish that has been originated from Yucatan, Mexico. Today I’ll be showing you its simple recipe step-by.
Cochinita Pibil is a very delicious dish which I love eating every time I visit my sister in Mexico. Whenever I taste it, it feels as if she has magic in her hands. I wanted more people to enjoy the mouth-watering taste of Cochinita Pibil. That’s why I got the recipe from my sister and now I have narrowed it down further so that every time you want to serve something unique and delicious to your friends and family, you can quickly cook this dish.
To make Cochinita Pibil at home, you will need pork shoulder, orange juice, lime juice, achiote paste, pickled red onions, Dry Mexican cheese, Chopped cilantro, Lime wedges. First marinate the pork in orange juice, lime juice and salt with achiote paste then bake it in the oven and shred the cooked pork meat. This dish gets ready very quickly.
The detailed stepwise cooking procedure, along with proper proportions of the ingredients are listed further. I am sure you would love this authentic Cochinita Pibil and share the recipe further with your friends and family. So let’s start with the listing.
Ingredients for Cochinita Pibil
- 4 pounds Pork Shoulder or Pork Loin
- 1 cuo Orange Juice
- ½ cup Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 85gm Achiote Paste
- Pickled Red Onions
- Dry Mexican Cheese (for granish)
- Chopped Cilantro (for granish)
- Lime Wedges (for granish)
- Ground Cumin (for granish)
Most of these ingredients are very common and can be found easily at your home and if not, they can be found in your nearby supermarket. Now let’s come to the time required to make this traditional mexican pilbil dish.
How Much Time It Will Take To Prepare Cochinita Pibil?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|8 hours||3-4 hours||11-12 hours|
If you feel it’s a lot of time, I would say the time required to cook it is worth the wait and you would never regret it. Now let’s move on to its method of cooking.
Steps for Cochinita Pibil
- Mix the orange and lime juice with the achiote paste and salt in a food processor the night before or the morning you wish to make the dish.
- Chop down the pork in small pieces of almost 1.5 inches, put the pork in a bowl then put over the marinade mixture and mix it well. The next step is to cover it and keep it in the freezer for 7 to 15 hours. It takes 4 hours to cook it.
- So firstly preheat the oven up to 320-degree Fahrenheit. Then line up a casserole with many layers of foil so that a proper seal is made.
- Put the pork inside and close the foil tightly. Then place it in the oven and bake it at 320 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 and a ½ hour after checking until it looks as if it is baked well.
- When the pork is ready, take it out and put it into the serving tray and season it with the desired amount of salt and pepper and serve it.
- You can garnish it with lime wedges, cilantro, ground cumin and mexican cheese.
Your delicious oven baked cochinita pibil is ready to eat. Make it at home and enjoy it with your friends and family.
Nutritional Breakdown of Cochinita Pibil
For all the healthy conscious peope, I’ve mentioned the nutrients present in Cochinita Pibil.
How to Make Cochinita Pibil at Home | Video
I’ve added a video of Cochinita Pibil below for your help so that it will be easier for you to make it following the visual instructions.
Do try the recipe at home and share your reviews about it in the comment section and if you like the recipe share the recipe further with your family and friends.