Brownies are one of those desserts that almost everyone likes. These sweet delights make the perfect treat for every occasion, including Christmas! So for the holiday season this year, how about going down the classic route and making these exceptionally easy and quick Christmas brownies? Read on to learn the recipe!
Brownies are everyone’s guilty pleasure, whether kids or adults. Of course, this is as long as you like chocolate! Moreover, Christmas is one of those holidays when it is the perfect time to indulge in something sweet, all through the holiday season. So, coming up with a new dessert for every other day can be a task.
Hence, sometimes, you can take a simple route and elevate that dessert! These brownies are exactly that! They are nothing too fancy, will take barely any time to put together, and are a crowd-pleaser. So, fret not. You don’t need to be intimidated by the thought of baking something that is a lot of work for all holidays.
Above that, the best part about these brownies is that they can be customized in so many ways! Specifically for this recipe, I have mentioned one of the easiest ways to customize them and make them holiday-worthy. However, I have also mentioned some other ways in which you can play around with the decorations of these brownies!
But more on that later! This article will provide complete equipment, ingredients, and a steps guide. I have also included tips you can follow, to customize your brownies and make them your own! So, what are you waiting for? Christmas?!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Christmas Brownies?
- Bowl – You will need two large bowls for this recipe. One will be needed to bring the batter together, whereas the other will help us while sifting the dry ingredients.
- Sieve – Many people need to consider this more important. However, to get a completely lump-free brownie batter, it is important to sift the dry ingredients first, for which you will need a large sieve.
- Whisk – A large whisk will be needed to mix all ingredients.
- Measuring Cups – Precision is important in baking, so you need a set of measuring cups to get the brownies perfectly right.
- Measuring Spoons – To measure some of the ingredients needed in smaller amounts, you will need measuring spoons.
- Silicone Spatula – A silicone spatula will be a handy tool to scrap all the batter out of the bowl. It will also help you spread the batter out on the baking dish.
- Baking Dish – To get a yield of 16 brownies, you will need a baking dish that is 8 inches into 8 inches.
- Parchment Paper – A piece of parchment paper will be needed to line the baking tray before transferring the batter.
- Baking Tray – You will need a baking tray to place the baking dish in the oven.
- Large Knife – Finally, once the brownies are out of the oven, you will need a large knife to cut them into pieces and, finally, decorate them.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Christmas Brownies?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Cooling And Decoration Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||45 Minutes||20 Minutes||1 Hour 20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Christmas Brownies?
- All-Purpose Flour – For this brownie recipe, you will need all-purpose flour as it has the perfect amount of gluten. ¾ cup of the same will be needed to get a yield of 16 brownies.
- Sugar – Caster sugar will work best for this recipe; here, you will need 2 cups of the same.
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder will help balance out the brownies’ flavor; for this recipe, you will need ⅔ cups of the same.
- Chocolate Chips – We will add unsweetened chocolate chips to this recipe so that you will need ½ cup of dark chocolate chips.
- Salt – Salt will help enhance the flavors; for this recipe, ¾ teaspoons of the same will be enough.
- Eggs – This recipe will need two large eggs at room temperature.
- Oil – The trick to keeping your brownies extra soft is using oil instead of butter; for this recipe, you will need ½ cup of olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Water – This recipe will need only two tablespoons of room-temperature water.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract is also a flavor enhancer; for this recipe, you will need ½ teaspoon.
- Confectioners’ Sugar – Lastly, to give the brownies a Christmas touch, you will need some confectioners’ sugar to dust on them.
Steps To Make Christmas Brownies
1. Pre Preparations
While baking anything, the first step is always the pre preparations. Here, there are a few. Firstly, grease the baking tray with minimal oil, just enough for the parchment paper to stick—Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, place two pieces of parchment paper to cover the baking dish’s sides. Sift the dry ingredients together, like the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt, in a large bowl and keep it aside.
2. Make The Brownie Batter
Once you finish the preparation, you can start making your brownie batter. For that, in a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients. These include eggs, oil, water, and vanilla. Whisk until they are all combined.
Then, add the dry ingredients we sifted before to the batter and whisk again. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips with the help of a silicone spatula. Once a thick batter is ready, you can transfer it to the baking dish lined with parchment paper. Make sure you use the spatula to smoothen out the top.
3. Bake And Decorate
After your batter has been transferred to the baking dish, place it on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. You can check whether they are done using a skewer, toothpick, or knife in the center. If only a few crumbs are stuck to it, your brownies are ready.
Take them out of the oven and let them cool down completely before slicing them into 16 pieces. Once you have sliced your brownies, dust them with a hefty amount of confectioner’s sugar and serve immediately or store them for later use!
Some Ways To Decorate Christmas Brownies
I have made this recipe as quick, easy, and beginner friendly as possible. So, the decoration only requires a decent amount of confectioners’ sugar. However, if you want to take your brownies up a notch and give them an even more Christmas feel, you can follow some of the ideas I have mentioned below for decoration.
- Rosemary Sprigs – This may sound insane! But decorating your brownies with rosemary sprigs will make them look like Christmas trees on land!
- Cherries – Cherries are another way to add color and Christmas spirit to your brownies.
- Candy Cane – One of the best candies everyone loves on Christmas, you can chop some candy canes and sprinkle them onto the brownies.
- Strawberries and Cream – Strawberries and cream can be topped on the brownies to make them look like Santa hats.
- M n Ms’ – Lastly, you can add some green and red MnMs’ on the brownies to give them a Christmas look and a crunch factor!
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Trans Fat||0.004 g|
|Vitamin A||3 IU|
What Will The Christmas Brownies Look And Taste Like?
I am sure that many of you may have made brownies before, at least once. But some of you might be absolute beginners in baking. So, even the thought of baking brownies might build up a lot of anticipation in your mind. There is no need to worry. However, as I have mentioned here, exactly what you are supposed to expect the brownies to look and taste like.
When it comes to the way they would look, these brownies will look like regular brownies. However, the powdered sugar surely adds to the Christmas spirit by creating a snowflake effect on them. Moreover, if you add more decorations to the brownies, they will look even more like Christmas!
Coming to the flavor of the brownies, these are not just like ordinary brownies. This recipe uses cocoa powder and oil instead of chocolate and butter. So, they will be rich, decadent, and equally soft from every corner of the baking dish. The decorations will surely add a sweeter flavor to these brownies.
Christmas Brownies Recipe
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- Confectioners' Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the baking dish with a little oil and then place two pieces of parchment paper in a way that covers all sides.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and keep them aside.
- Mix the oil, eggs, water, and vanilla essence in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Then, add the sifted dry ingredients and whisk until it forms a batter. Add in the chocolate chips and fold with a spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the greased and lined baking dish and place it on a baking tray.
- Bake the brownies for 45 minutes, then take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- Once they have cooled down, slice them into 16 pieces and dust them with confectioners sugar. Serve immediately or save for later!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is there no leavening agent in this recipe?
Brownies are supposed to be dense in texture; hence, most brownie recipes similar to this one do not have any leavening agent.
Can self-raising flour be used in place of all-purpose flour for this recipe?
No, self-raising flour has baking powder added to it; hence, it cannot be used for this recipe.
Can chocolate chunks be used in place of chocolate chips in this recipe?
You can use chocolate chunks in this recipe if you like.
Do these brownies need to be stored in the fridge?
Not necessarily. Even if you store them in an airtight container at room temperature, they will easily last for three days.
Can nuts be added to this recipe?
You can add nuts to this recipe if you prefer nuts in your brownies.
Gooey and soft, these brownies are surely a delight to devour! These brownies are easy to make, and the recipe is perfect for beginners. Moreover, the best part is that when decorating the brownies for Christmas, these brownies are extremely versatile!
This recipe ensures that you get a soft and chewy piece of brownie, regardless of whether it is from the side or the center of the baking dish. This is the best way to get your Christmas celebrations going!