Chocolate depression cake is not your regular chocolate cake. It is made without the regular ingredients that one puts in a cake, like milk, eggs and butter. It is still very delicious and if you’re looking to make a completely vegan cake, then this is the one for you.
The reason behind the name of this cake is that this recipe is from the era of the Great Depression when basic ingredients like eggs, milk and butter were really hard to find and were very expensive. This is why this cake is prepared without eggs, milk and butter. People also call this ‘Wacky Cake’ and ‘Crazy Cake.’
Chocolate depression cake can be made by mixing flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, oil, vinegar and water and add dry fruits of your choice. Bake it in the oven and your cake is ready. Serve it with the frosting of your choice to make it more delicious.
You can make this gluten-free and dairy-free dessert without any fuss, But this was just a quick overview of the whole depression cake recipe. Below, I’ve also mentioned how you can make suitable frosting for this cake. Before heading on to the detailed recipe, let’s check the ingredients and time required to bake this cake.
Ingredients For Chocolate Depression Cake
- 1 ½ cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk or Cream
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
These are the ingredients you need to have for making this vintage dessert. Now, let’s find out the time arrangement of this chocolate depression cake.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Chocolate Depression Cake?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Cooling Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour||1 Hour 55 Minutes|
Let’s see the detailed steps to make this eggless chocolate depression cake and its frosting.
Steps To Make Chocolate Depression Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda and mix.
- Now, in another bowl, mix vanilla, vinegar, oil and water. Then, add some dry fruits of your choice to the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely. After this, we will start frosting.
Frosting For Depression Cake
- Take a Saucepan and melt butter with cocoa powder to make a thick paste.
- Now, put the paste in a mixing bowl and add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- When all ingredients are together, just keep on mixing them until it turns into a smooth and creamy spread.
- Now, spread it on the cooled-down cake.
That’s it. Your dairy-free and egg-free chocolate depression cake is ready to be served. Apart from frosting, you can also enjoy this cake with chocolate gravy. Sit back and enjoy your cake with your friends and family. The next thing that’s very important to know is the nutritional content of chocolate depression cake. The table below has all the information regarding it.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Chocolate Depression Cake
Here is the nutritional breakdown of this recipe.
How To Make Chocolate Depression Cake At Home | Video
I have attached a similar video with this recipe and I hope it will help you in baking the yummy chocolate depression cake.
Thanks for trying out this recipe. Do share your feedback in the comment section below. You can also leave any suggestions or queries in the comments below. I’ll be happy to hear from you and help you. Till then, eat healthy and live happily!