Chocolate depression cake is not your regular chocolate cake. It is made without the regular ingredients that one puts in a cake, like milk, eggs and butter. It is still very delicious and if you’re looking to make a completely vegan cake, then this is the one for you.
The reason behind the name of this cake is that this recipe is from the era of the Great Depression when basic ingredients like eggs, milk and butter were really hard to find and were very expensive. This is why this cake is prepared without eggs, milk and butter. People also call this ‘Wacky Cake’ and ‘Crazy Cake.’
Chocolate depression cake can be made by mixing flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, oil, vinegar and water and add dry fruits of your choice. Bake it in the oven and your cake is ready. Serve it with the frosting of your choice to make it more delicious.
You can make this gluten-free and dairy-free dessert without any fuss, But this was just a quick overview of the whole depression cake recipe. Below, I’ve also mentioned how you can make suitable frosting for this cake. If you love cakes, then you should definitely check out the other cake recipes that I’ve handpicked just for you.
1. Macaron Cake– This cake which I must say is the legacy of French baking. You will like the sweet and sour combination of the raspberries and the lemon juice that are assorted together and makes your taste buds go crazy.
2. Chocolate Beer Cake- It is cake prepared using beer as a secondary ingredient and if you make chocolate beer cake it includes stout and chocolate stout beer and gingerbread cakes. There is a tribe called the Rabha tribe which uses rice beer to make beer cake.
3. Too Much Chocolate Cake– This recipe adorns every occasion at my home and has become almost a tradition. For a chocolate lover, this cake is a dessert from heaven.
4. Vegan Chocolate Cake– This is really simple, yet very tasty cake. This vegan cake is a good recipe to make any time you need to make a basic chocolate cake.
Chocolate Depression Cake Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 ½ Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 tsp Butter
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk or Cream
- ½ tsp Vailla Extract
To Bake Depression Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda and mix.
- Now, in another bowl, mix vanilla, vinegar, oil and water. Then, add some dry fruits of your choice to the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely. After this, we will start frosting.
Frosting For Depression Cake
- Take a Saucepan and melt butter with cocoa powder to make a thick paste.
- Now, put the paste in a mixing bowl and add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- When all ingredients are together, just keep on mixing them until it turns into a smooth and creamy spread.
- Now, spread it on the cooled-down cake.