Chocolate chips and scones make everything better. So why not combine them to make tender and crumbly chocolate chip scones? Try out this easy and mouth-watering chocolate chip scones recipe, and thank me later!
If you’ve never made homemade scones, you’d be surprised just how easy they are to make. Scones are basically the British version of a biscuit.
To make decadent scones, you need a handful of basic ingredients like flour, butter, and sugar. In this recipe, we will also use lots of chocolate chips to enjoy their flavor in every bite.
This chocolate chip scone recipe provides you with crumbly edges, soft, moist, buttery center, and a golden brown exterior. The best part about making this recipe is that it is quick and easy to make.
In the sections below, you will find out the steps to make the most delicious chocolate chip scones.
I will also tell you the secret of making bakery-style light-textured scones. No one is going to believe these scones are homemade!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chocolate Chip Scones?
- Bowls – You will need two bowls to prepare the scones. One bowl will be needed to mix the dry ingredients. The second bowl will be used to mix the wet ingredients.
- Grater – This step is quite unique and hardly heard of in most baking recipes. But we use a grater to grate frozen butter in order to achieve perfect flaky scones.
- Fork – You will need a fork to mix the ingredients.
- Baking Pan – You will need an 8-inch round baking pan to set the dough in a perfectly round shape.
- Knife – A knife will be required to cut eight pieces of scones
- Brush – You will need a brush to apply the cream on the scones before baking.
- Refrigerator – You will need a refrigerator to chill the scones before baking.
- Oven – The Oven will be required to bake the scones.
- Baking Tray – A baking tray will be required to bake the scones.
- Parchment Paper – Parchment paper will be needed to line the baking tray to prevent the scones from sticking to the tray.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chocolate Chip Scones?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||25 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chocolate Chip Scones?
- All-Purpose Flour – To make chocolate chip scones, you will need two cups (250g) of all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled), plus some more for dusting your hands and work surface. This quantity will give you a yield of 8 large pieces of scones.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder is a leavening agent that adds color, flavor, and texture to baked goods. This recipe will use two and a half teaspoons of baking powder.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon adds warmth to baked goods and lends a sweet flavor. It also screams Christmas! To make chocolate chip scones, you will need one teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Salt – Salt helps to bring out flavors; for this recipe, you will need half a teaspoon of salt.
- Unsalted Butter – Frozen unsalted butter is the key to a successful scones recipe. We will need half a cup (115g) of unsalted frozen butter to make chocolate chip scones.
- Heavy Cream – Cream adds richness to the scones; for this recipe, you will need a half cup (120 ml) of cream plus two tablespoons for brushing the scones. Cream brushed over scones before baking provides an extra crunch.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar is particularly added to baked goods for moistness. This recipe will need half a cup (100g) of packed light or dark brown sugar.
- Egg – The egg helps to bind the ingredients together. Therefore, we will need one large egg to add to the scones dough.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract is a flavor enhancer. This recipe will need one and a half teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Chocolate chips are the star ingredient of this recipe. You will need one and one-fourth cups (225g) of mini chocolate chips.
- Coarse Sugar – To add a caramelized flavor, you can sprinkle some coarse sugar on top of the scones before baking. This ingredient is optional.
- Confectioners’ Sugar – To add a Christmassy effect to your scones, you can sprinkle confectioners’ sugar for sifting on top of the scone after baking.
Steps To Make Chocolate Chip Scones
1. Prepare The Scones Dough
Mix the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together. Add frozen and grated unsalted butter and cut through the dry ingredients with forks or hands.
You can use a food processor to combine the ingredients too. However, using hands or a fork to mix the ingredients is recommended as food processors tend to overwork the scone’s dough. This results in an undesirable dense dough.
Additionally, we use grated frozen butter rather than soft cubes or melted butter, as butter flakes get coated with flour evenly in the dough and provide a crumbly texture.
The key to making great scones is to make the dough work less and keep it as cold as possible.
Next, mix the wet ingredients like egg, brown sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract in another bowl. Pour the mixture of wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the chocolate chips.
Mix the dough gently and form the dough into a disc on the counter.
2. Cut Out Scones
You can place the dough in an 8-inch baking dish and flatten it to get a perfectly round shape. Remove the dough from the dish and cut the dough into 8 wedges.
Brush the chocolate chip scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. This step will give the scone a golden exterior and a bakery-style crunch.
Place the scones in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
3. Bake The Scone
Take a baking tray and line it with parchment paper. Arrange the scones on the baking tray by placing them 2-3 inches apart.
Bake the scones for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool. Dust the scones with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
How To Store Your Scones?
Scones are quick and easy to bake and are best eaten the same day. However, if you are looking at keeping them a little longer, they need to be stored properly.
Scones harden and lose their flakiness beyond two days. To store scones for 2-3 days, place them in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you wish to store them for a longer duration, you can freeze the scones. Allow the baked scones to cool completely, and place them in an airtight container or bag. Place them in the freezer.
To eat frozen scones, thaw them on the counter or overnight in the refrigerator. Warm them up in the microwave for 30 seconds or in the oven at a temperature of 300°F (149°C) oven for 10 minutes.
|Saturated Fat||17 grams|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 gram|
|Monounsaturated Fat||8 grams|
|Trans Fat||0.5 grams|
How Will Chocolate Chip Scones Look And Taste Like?
Chocolate chip scones are a pure delight. They catch a golden-brown color upon baking and look gorgeous studded with mini chocolate chips. Moreover, sugar-dusted scones look absolutely festive, like snowflakes on a cold winter morning.
When you bite into the chocolate chip scones, you experience myriad textures ranging from crunchy to crumbly, tender, and moist. The chocolate chips in the scones add the right amount of gooey chocolate, making them a perfect treat to pair with beverages.
Chocolate Chips Scones Recipe
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, frozen
- Coarse sugar
- Confectioners' Sugar for sifting on top after baking
- 2½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1¼ cup Chocolate Chips
- 8 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 large Egg
- 1½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Combine the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add frozen and grated unsalted butter and cut through the dry ingredients with forks or hands.
- Whisk the wet ingredients like egg, brown sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract together in another bowl.
- Pour the mixture of wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the chocolate chips.
- Mix the dough gently and form the dough into a disc on the counter.
- You can place the dough in an 8-inch baking dish and flatten it to get a perfectly round shape.
- Remove the dough from the dish and cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Brush the chocolate chip scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place the scones in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
What is the secret to making good scones?
The secret to making great scones is using frozen butter. This helps the scones’ texture be light, crumbly, and crunchy.
What makes a scone moist?
The presence of eggs and brown sugar makes your scones moist.
Should you let the scone dough rest?
Allowing the scones dough to rest in the refrigerator helps to make even-shaped and crumbly scones.
How do you know when a scone is done?
Bake the scones until they turn slightly golden brown.
How do I get a shiny top on a scone?
You can have a shiny top of scones by brushing it with heavy cream, coarse sugar, or lightly beaten egg.
Do try out the above-mentioned delicious chocolate chip scones recipe. For more such recipes, check out our recipe’s sections.