Bring the taste of your favorite Mexican restaurant home with an easy and delicious Chipotle sofritas copycat recipe. It’s vegan, protein-packed, and full of flavor – what more could you want in a meal? Find out the recipe.
To make Chipotle sofritas, crumble the tofu into small pieces and sauté it in a pan with the onions, garlic, and spices until it is nicely browned. Then, add the tomato sauce and chipotle peppers and let the mixture simmer until it is thick and flavorful. It’s ready.
Serve sofritas in a burrito bowl or topped on tacos or fajitas. The choice is yours! This recipe is sure to satisfy all appetites.
While making sofritas, make the tofu dry and discard all the excess water. This will help tofu absorb all the flavors. Moreover, to create a more intense taste, use Worcestershire sauce for extra depth.
So, get yourself ready for a flavor explosion with delicious sofritas. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to recreate this dish in your kitchen. Also, find nutritional information.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chipotle Sofritas?
- Skillet – Cook vegetables and tofu in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cutting Board – Chop veggies on the cutting board.
- Knife – Use a chef’s knife to chop off veggies.
- Spatula – Use a spatula to stir ingredients and combine them.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chipotle Sofritas?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||25 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chipotle Sofritas?
- Tofu – Add tofu to the sofritas as it’s a primary ingredient. It’s great for grilling and sauteeing. Moreover, it’s a protein-rich vegan food.
- Adobo Sauce – For a savory, tangy taste, stir in adobo sauce.
- Oil – Use canola oil or vegetable oil to saute vegetables. These oils have a high smoke point so it’s better to use them when the cooking process is a bit longer.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – For a tangy and slightly sweet taste, add the apple cider vinegar.
- Salsa – Salsa is an often used condiment in Mexican dishes. Here we’ll add salsa to use as a topping for sofritas.
- Tomatoe Paste – Add tomato paste for a thick consistency. It adds richness to the recipe.
- Vegetable Broth – Stir in vegetable broth to add a flavorful base to the sofritas. It will add savory taste to it.
- Nutritional Yeast – Add nutritional yeast as it’s often used as a vegan-friendly cheese substitute because of its savory, nutty flavor.
- Onion – We’ll go for adding diced onions for their crunch, and pungent taste.
- Garlic – Oh! We can’t miss garlic. It’s the taste enhancer of the recipe. Go with some garlic for an aromatic dish.
- Cumin – Use ground cumin to add an earthy flavor to the sofritas.
- Chipotle Peppers – Add red hot chipotle peppers to bring out spicy and smoky flavors.
- Poblano Pepper – Here we’ll add roasted poblano peppers. It will add a mild, slightly sweet, and smoky flavor. They are the king spice to add to Mexican dishes.
- Salt – Season with salt as it’s the most essential ingredient to balance the taste of the dish.
- Black Pepper – Flavor the sofritas with a teaspoon of black pepper for a mild spicy flavor.
Steps To Make Paula Deen Cornbread Dressing
1. Prepare Tofu
Begin by draining and pressing the tofu to remove excess moisture. Cut the tofu into small cubes.
2. Start Cooking
In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pan and cook until the onion is translucent about five minutes.
Add the cubed tofu to the skillet and cook until it starts to brown, for five minutes.
Add vegetable broth, salsa, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, cumin, chili powder, and salt to the pan. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
3. Add Chilies
Dice the chipotle chilis in adobo sauce and the roasted poblano pepper, then add them to the pan. Stir to combine.
Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for twenty minutes. Stir occasionally until the tofu is tender and the flavors come together.
Sofritas is ready to serve. Pair with a burrito bowl or taco, and enjoy!
How Will Chipotle Sofritas Look And Taste Like?
Chipotle sofritas is a spicy and flavorful recipe with a hint of smokiness from chilies. It’s a dark brown in color with small pieces of tofu visible.
It has a soft, slightly crumbly texture and is served in small chunks. Sofritas is worth a try!
Chipotle Sofritas Copycat Recipe
- Cutting Board
- 14 oz Tofu
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Salsa
- ½ cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Chipotle Peppers
- 2 Poblano Pepper (roasted)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (a pinch)
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the crumbled tofu, vegetable broth, salsa, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, cumin, chili powder, and salt to the pan. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Add tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, and poblano peppers to adobo sauce. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for ten minutes.
- Serve the sofritas in a burrito, taco, or bowl with your choice of toppings and sides. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are sofritas made of?
Sofritas is a vegan protein made with organic tofu, chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of spices.
Is sofritas gluten-free?
Yes, Chipotle Sofritas is gluten-free.
Can I get sofritas in a burrito, bowl, or taco?
You can get Sofritas in any of Chipotle’s menu items, including burritos, bowls, and tacos.
Is sofritas spicy?
Sofritas have a moderate spiciness due to the chipotle chilis and roasted poblanos used in the recipe.
Can I get Sofritas with any of Chipotle’s other protein options?
You can mix and match protein options at Chipotle to get Sofritas with any other protein, such as chicken, steak, or barbacoa.
If you’re tired of boring, bland vegan meals, then Chipotle sofritas is here to save the day! Made with organic tofu and spices, try this flavorful punch that’ll have you drooling over it.
Moreover, it’s gluten-free, so even those with dietary restrictions can join in on the fun. So why spice up your next burrito, bowl, or taco with some sofritas? You’ll be glad you did.