Move on from boring old cheese dip and upgrade to the Chipotle queso copycat recipe. It is a creamy and flavorful dip packed with spicy jalapeno peppers, savory cheddar cheese, and aromatic spices. So grab your saucepan, and let’s get cooking!
First, make Chipotle queso; bring milk and cream to a simmer. Meanwhile, saute vegetables in the saucepan in butter. Stir in flour and coat veggies with flour.
Now combine the milk mixture with the veggie mixture, cheese, spices, and seasonings. Cook until it gets to a nice thick consistency. Garnish the sauce and enjoy.
For making Chipotle queso, make sure you use good quality cheese for the rich flavor. Moreover, if you want a smooth queso dip, whisking constantly is required. Start whisking as you add milk, and you’ll get a smooth and rich dip in no time.
Follow the recipe above and get ready to dive into a creamy, flavorful dip that satiates your cravings. Also, note down the equipment list along with nutritional information below.
What Are The Tips For Making Chipotle Queso?
Here are some tips to follow while you are cooking Chipotle queso:
- Add Spices: The spices in the queso recipe, such as chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder, help to add flavor and depth to the dip. Don’t be afraid to use a generous amount of these spices to give your queso a bold and flavorful taste.
- Use Whole Milk: The combination of whole milk and heavy cream helps to give the queso a creamy and rich texture. Refrain from being tempted to skimp on these ingredients, as they are essential for achieving the perfect consistency.
- Please Don’t Burn The Queso: It is important to keep the heat low and simmer the queso gently as it cooks. Allowing it to boil can cause the cheese to break down and become grainy, so keep the heat low and frequently stir to prevent this from happening.
What Are The Variations For Chipotle Queso?
Here are some variations you can try for Chipotle queso:
- Add Vegetables: You can add diced bell peppers, onions, or other vegetables to the queso to add flavor and nutrition. These can be added along with the jalapeno peppers in the recipe.
- Add Protein: Add cooked and crumbled ground beef, pork, chicken, or sausage to the queso for added protein and flavor. These can be added along with the jalapeno peppers in the recipe.
- Add Beans: Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans or pinto beans to the queso for added protein and fiber. These can be added along with the jalapeno peppers in the recipe.
- Add Herbs And Spices: You can add different herbs and spices to the queso to add flavor and depth. Some options include chopped fresh cilantro, diced scallions, tomatoes, or avocado. Before serving, these can be added as a garnish on top of the queso.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chipotle Queso?
- Saucepan – You’ll need a saucepan to simmer milk and cream.
- Grater – Use a grater to grate the cheese in the recipe.
- Spoon – Get a wooden spoon or whisk to stir the queso as it cooks to ensure everything is well combined.
- Knife – Use a sharp knife to chop off vegetables.
- Cutting Board – Use a cutting board for chopping purposes.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chipotle Queso?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||10 Minutes||15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chipotle Queso?
- Whole Milk – This is added to the queso to provide creaminess and richness. It helps to thin out the cheese and make it easier to melt and incorporate into the dip.
- Heavy Cream – This is another creamy ingredient added to the queso to provide richness and thickness. It helps to make the queso more velvety and smooth.
- Tomato Paste – This adds a slightly sweet and tangy flavor to the queso and helps to give it its bright orange color.
- Monterey Jack Cheese – Add Monterey jack cheese for a mild cheese flavor. It’s made from cow’s milk and has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. It gives a rich flavor to the queso.
- Colby Jack Cheese – Colby jack cheese has a mild, sweet flavor with a smooth and creamy texture. Its yellow or orange color gives a nice color to the queso.
- Jalapeno Peppers – These add a spicy kick to the queso and give it a little heat. You can adjust the number of jalapeno peppers depending on your preference for spiciness.
- Chili Powder – This spice adds flavor and heat to the queso and helps balance out the cheese’s richness.
- Ground Cumin – This spice adds a warm and earthy flavor to the queso and pairs well with the other spices.
- Garlic Powder – This adds a subtle garlicky flavor to the queso and helps to round out the overall flavor.
- Paprika – This spice adds a smoky and slightly sweet flavor to the queso and helps to give it a deeper, more complex taste.
- Salt – This helps to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients and balance out the richness of the cheese.
Steps To Make Chipotle Queso
Bring the milk and cream to a simmer over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
In a separate large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are softened for about 5 minutes.
Add the flour to the large saucepan and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the flour is lightly browned.
2. Combine Milk Mixture
Slowly pour in the milk mixture, constantly whisking to prevent lumps from forming. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens, about five to seven minutes.
Add the Colby-Jack and Monterey Jack cheeses to the saucepan, stirring until the cheese is melted and fully incorporated into the sauce.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, pickled jalapeño peppers, and cilantro—season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve the queso dip hot, with your choice of tortilla chips or vegetables for dipping. Enjoy!
How Will Chipotle Queso Look And Taste Like?
Chipotle’s queso is a creamy and smooth dip. It has a rich and savory flavor with a slightly spicy kick from the jalapeno peppers. The queso has a thick and velvety texture that’s perfect for dipping.
Talking about its appearance, Chipotle queso has a bright orange color due to the cheese and tomato paste. It is garnished with fresh green cilantro and tomatoes for added flavor, color, and texture. Cheese lovers will love this delicious and satisfying dip.
Chipotle Queso Copycat Recipe
- Cutting Board
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (grated)
- 1 cup Colby Jack Cheese (grated)
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- Salt (to taste)
- In a saucepan, bring milk and cream to a simmer.
- In another saucepan, melt butter and stir in onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic.
- Saute for five minutes.
- Add flour to the vegetable mixture, and coat them well in the flour. Cook for three minutes.
- Stir in the milk mixture with the vegetable mixture. Whisk well, so no lumps are formed.
- Then add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in tomatoes, pickled jalapeno peppers, and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Chipotle queso is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients are in Chipotle queso?
Chipotle’s queso is made with aged cheddar cheese, water, tomato paste, cornstarch, jalapeno peppers, and spices.
Is Chipotle queso vegan?
Chipotle queso is not vegan as it contains aged cheddar cheese.
Can I make Chipotle’s queso at home?
Yes, you can make a homemade version of Chipotle’s queso by following a similar recipe. Many online recipes provide step-by-step instructions for making a homemade version of Chipotle’s queso.
Is Chipotle’s queso gluten-free?
According to Chipotle’s website, their queso is not gluten-free because it is made with wheat flour.
How do I store Chipotle’s queso?
Chipotle’s queso should be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in the microwave or stovetop. It is recommended to use the queso within three to five days of opening.
Chipotle’s queso is a delicious, creamy dip that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make a homemade version that is just as delicious using simple ingredients.
Whether you prefer a milder or spicier queso, this recipe is highly customizable and can be adjusted to your taste. Follow the instructions above to create a batch of creamy, irresistible queso that will impress you.