Chipotle carnitas is a delicious and easy-to-make Mexican dish. This dish is traditionally made with pork, but you can also make it with chicken or beef.
The key to making this dish is to cook the meat until it is very tender so you can shred it easily. There are many ways to make Chipotle carnitas, but the key ingredients are always the same.
You will need pork, Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and spices. These ingredients are cooked together until the meat is very tender.
To make Chipotle carnitas, use boneless pork shoulder for the best results. This cut of meat is well-marbled and will yield juicy, flavorful carnitas.
When it comes to cooking carnitas, there are two options: stovetop or oven. Both methods can produce delicious results, but if you prefer oven-cooked carnitas, they will yield slightly more moist and tender meat.
Making your carnitas is easier than you might think – and the results are worth it. This Chipotle carnitas recipe is the perfect balance of spice and flavor and will leave your guests asking for seconds. So, let’s get started!
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chipotle Carnitas?
- Slow Cooker – Cook pork in a slow cooker on high flame for 6 hours until the pork is tender.
- Skillet – Cook shredded pork in a skillet for crispy edges.
- Knife – Trim the pork and chop the peppers with a sharp knife into slices.
- Spatula – Cook the shredded pork with a spatula until brown on both sides.
- Fork – Shred cooked pork with a fork.
- Slotted Spoon – Remove them from the cooker with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate.
- Plate – Transfer the cooked pork to a plate for cooling down.
- Chopping Board – Chop the pork and peppers on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Serving Bowl – Serve the carnitas on soft tortillas with your favorite toppings.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chipotle Carnitas?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||6 Hours 10 Minutes||6 Hours 20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chipotle Carnitas?
- Pork – I have used boneless pork as these heavy-duty cuts of pork will lend incredible flavor. Trim any excess fat from the pork before cooking. It will help to prevent the carnitas from becoming too greasy.
- Whole Juniper Berries – Add juniper berries while cooking the pork as they will provide a slightly piney flavor with a touch of fruitiness and pepperiness.
- Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce – Add peppers to give a distinct, smoky, spicy, and slightly sweet flavor.
- Water – Add water while cooking pork to draw natural juices and flavors, ensuring it stays moist.
- Bay Leaves -Throw some bay leaves in the cooker to add another layer of flavor and aroma.
- Thyme – Thyme leaves will add an earthy and slightly mint flavor.
- Salt – Seasoning the pork with salt before cooking will help bring out the natural flavors.
- Black Pepper – Season your pork with freshly ground black pepper before cooking them.
Steps To Make Chipotle Carnitas
1. From Farm To Fork
Start by trimming the pork into slices. Season them with salt and pepper. Add them to the slow cooker.
Before that, pour in water, and add bay leaves, thyme, and juniper berries at the bottom of the cooker.
Cover the lid and cook it on high flame for 6 hours until the pork is tender.
2. It’s Okay To Be Versatile
Once the pork is cooked, please remove it from the cooker with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a plate. Let them cool for a few minutes before shredding them with a fork.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat and add shredded pork in batches for crispy edges. Add chopped Chipotle peppers and pour a few tablespoons of juice from the slow cooker.
Cook until browned on both sides. Serve the carnitas on soft tortillas with your favorite toppings.
I topped it with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and cilantro. But feel free to get creative!
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
How Will Chipotle Carnitas Look And Taste Like?
This Chipotle carnitas recipe is a classic version of traditional carnitas. It is smoky, juicy, tasty, and irresistible.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give a distinctive smoky flavor that will leave you scraping out of your bowl. The result is perfectly tender and flavorful pork with minimal effort.
Chipotle Carnitas Copycat Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Slotted Spoon
- Chopping Board
- Serving Bowl
- 3 ½ – 4 pound Pork (trimmed)
- 2 Chipotle Pepper In Adobo Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Whole Juniper Berries
- ½ cup Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 sprig Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Start by trimming the pork into slices. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Pour in water, and add bay leaves, thyme, and juniper berries at the bottom, followed by seasoned pork.
- Cover the lid and cook it on high flame for 6 hours until the pork is tender.
- Remove them from the cooker with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate.
- Let them cool for a few minutes before shredding them with a fork.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat and add shredded pork in batches for crispy edges.
- Add chopped Chipotle peppers and pour a few tablespoons of juice from the slow cooker. Cook until browned on both sides.
- Serve the carnitas on soft tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- I topped it with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and cilantro. But feel free to get creative!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Chipotle carnitas?
Chipotle carnitas is a type of Mexican pulled pork. They are made by slow-cooking pork shoulder in a mixture of Chipotle peppers and other spices. The resulting meat is shredded and can be used in tacos, burritos, or any other dish where you use pulled pork.
How do you make Chipotle carnitas?
Season the pork with spices. In a slow cooker, add veggies and spices and cook on low for 8 hours until the pork is very tender.
Brown the pork in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Shred the meat with two forks and stir it back into the sauce. Serve immediately with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
What are some topping ideas for Chipotle carnitas?
There are endless possibilities when it comes to topping your chipotle carnitas. Some popular options include sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, diced avocado, lime wedges, and cilantro. Get creative and mix and match until you find your perfect combination!
Are Chipotle carnitas chewy?
Carnitas are wonderful morsels of fried pork that are crispy and chewy-tender on the inside.
If you have never tried making chipotle carnitas before, I urge you to try it. You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to make and how delicious it tastes.