I love all kinds of beans, and when it comes to Mexican cuisine, Chipotle black beans are the best. These Chipotle black beans are perfect for your next fiesta or Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Try the Chipotle black bean version at home; it is quite easy and budget friendly.
To make Chipotle black beans at home, sauté the veggies until softened. Add the black beans and spices. Cook and stir occasionally. Add the water and cook until the water has evaporated. Serve immediately.
To make the Chipotle black beans recipe heartier, use pinto beans instead of black beans. Pinto beans have a similar texture to black beans but are slightly sweeter.
Another way to change this recipe is to add additional spices. Add ancho or Pasillas for a milder flavor.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps involved in making a Chipotle black beans recipe. We’ll start with the ingredients and then move on to the recipe.
By the end of this guide, you’ll be able to make these delicious beans yourself in no time!
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chipotle Black Beans?
- Skillet – Sauté the onion and garlic in a medium-sized skillet until softened and fragrant.
- Bowl – Soak the beans with enough water in a bowl.
- Spatula – Mash the beans with a spatula to get a nice thick texture.
- Knife – Chopping two red onions, mince three garlic cloves, and slice the Chipotle pepper into small pieces using a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies and slice the peppers on a chopping board for fine cutting.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chipotle Black Beans?
|Preparation Time||Resting Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||8 Hours||20 Minutes||8 Hours 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chipotle Black Beans?
- Black Beans – I have soaked the beans overnight as they will give a soft, creamy, and mild flavor.
- Adobo Sauce – Add adobo sauce at the end for an explosively flavorful, velvety, and smoky taste.
- Lemon Juice – Drizzle lemon juice over beans, as it will help soften them.
- Lime Juice – Finishing the black beans with lime juice will provide a balance and a bright flavor.
- Water – Soak beans in water, as they will help cook the beans evenly in lesser time.
- Olive Oil – Sauté the veggies in olive oil until soft and aromatic.
- Red Onions – Slice and sauté red onion to add mild sweetness, giving deep color to the black beans.
- Chipotle Peppers – Slice Chipotle peppers in half to add smokiness and sweetness to the black beans.
- Garlic – Mince and sauté the garlic to add an intense flavor.
- Chipotle Chilies – The chilies will add an earthy and smoky heat, giving the recipe a deep color.
- Cumin – Cumin will add an instant depth to the dish.
- Oregano – Add oregano at the end of the recipe for a refreshing note.
- Bay Leaves – Add bay leaves to give black beans a unique taste. Make sure to remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Salt – Season the recipe with salt to enhance its flavor, giving it a savory taste.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will give the recipe an indulgent flavor.
Steps To Make Chipotle Black Beans
1. Let’s Begin
Start chopping two red onions, mince three garlic cloves and slice the Chipotle pepper into small pieces.
Add a pound of beans and enough water to cover in a large bowl. Soak it overnight. Drain and discard the soaking liquid when ready to cook.
2. What’s Next?
Begin by heating some oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic, stirring for about 4 minutes.
Add the beans with the water, chopped chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, chilies, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. It’s Time To Cook
Mash about ¼ of the beans against the pot’s side with a spatula to get a nice thick texture.
Finally, stir in lime and lemon juice. Adjust with additional seasoning if needed until you reach your desired consistency. Turn off the heat and serve warm!
Enjoy this delicious chipotle black beans recipe—you deserve it.
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||5 iu|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
How Will Chipotle Black Beans Look And Taste Like?
Chipotle black beans recipe is a winner. The combination of spices and beans makes a delicious and hearty dish perfect for any occasion.
The key to the flavor of this dish is in the chipotle peppers. These smoky and spicy peppers have added incredible flavor to the beans, giving this dish its characteristic kick.
Chipotle Black Beans Copycat Recipe
- Chopping Board
- 1 pound Black Beans (rinsed, sorted, and soaked overnight)
- 2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce
- ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ tablespoon Lime Juice
- 6 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 medium Red Onions (chopped)
- 1 Chipotle Pepper (sliced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Chipotle Chilies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Chop two red onions, mince three garlic cloves and slice the Chipotle pepper into small pieces.
- Add a pound of beans and enough water to cover in a bowl.
- Soak it overnight. Drain and discard the soaking liquid when ready to cook.
- Heat some oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic, stirring for about 4 minutes.
- Add the beans with the water, chopped chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, chilies, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Mash about ¼ of the beans against the pot’s side with a spatula to get a nice thick texture.
- Finally, stir in lime and lemon juice. Adjust with additional seasoning if needed until you reach your desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat and serve warm! Enjoy this delicious chipotle black beans recipe—you deserve it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is chipotle black beans?
Chipotle black beans are a Mexican dish typically made with black beans, onions, garlic, and various spices. It gets its name from the chipotle peppers that give it its characteristic smoky flavor.
How do you make chipotle black beans?
There are many ways to make chipotle black beans, but the ingredients usually included are black beans, onions, garlic, and various spices. The beans are typically simmered in water or broth until they are tender. Some people add vegetables such as carrots or celery to the dish.
What can you serve with chipotle black beans?
Chipotle black beans can be served as a side dish or a main course. They will go well with rice, tortillas, or other Mexican dishes. Top them with shredded cheese or sour cream for a cheesy and creamy flavor.
Why should you not cook beans in the same liquid they were soaked in?
Soaking beans helps them to cook in less time. The water they were soaked in contains elements you are trying to eliminate. And this is why the bean water is discarded before cooking.
Chipotle black bean dish is packed with flavor and nutrients. It is versatile, and you can easily customize it to your liking. So don’t hesitate to try this recipe—you may be surprised at how easy it is to make!