There’s nothing quite like the aroma of the Chipotle barbacoa copycat recipe. It’s packed with flavor, and the slow-cooked meat is so tender and juicy that it melts in your mouth.
Its rich, flavorful blend of succulent slow-cooked meat makes it the perfect dish to enjoy with friends and family. So, grab your apron, and let’s get cooking.
To make Chipotle Barbacoa, you will need to start by marinating a large piece of beef in a mixture of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, oregano, and cider vinegar.
Then, place the beef in a slow cooker with some beef broth and cook on low heat for ten hours or until the meat is tender and easily shredded.
Once the beef is cooked, shred it with a fork and mix in the remaining cooking liquid. Serve the barbacoa with warm corn tortillas, and enjoy.
While making barbacoa, decide the spice level. You can always make it spicy by adding some chipotle peppers. Moreover, when shredding the beef, mix the remaining cooking liquid to keep the meat moist and flavorful.
So, hungry humans! Feast your eyes on the delicious Chipotle barbacoa. This dish is extraordinary and needs an exceptionally easy-to-make recipe. Therefore, I offer you step-by-step recipe steps and equipment details. Thank me later!
What's In The Post
What Is Barbacoa?
Barbacoa is a Mexican cuisine dish with beef in a slow cooker. The meat is usually seasoned with various aromatic herbs and spices and then slow-cooked until it’s tender and flavorful.
Barbacoa is often served with tortillas, beans, and other Mexican-inspired sides and toppings. It’s a delicious and hearty meal that is perfect for sharing with friends and family.
The result of barbacoa is always a tender, flavorful meat that is perfect for making tacos, burritos, and other Mexican-inspired dishes. If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine, barbacoa is worth trying!
What Are The Tips To Follow For Chipotle Barbacoa?
Here are some tips for you to follow for Chipotle barbacoa:
- Marinate Your Meat: Marinating the meat for a longer period will help infuse it with more flavor. You can marinate it overnight for the best results.
- Experiment With Spices: You can try spices like cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon.
- Serve With Various Toppings: Experiment with various toppings like onions, tomatoes, shredded cheese, lettuce, avocado, sour cream, and salsa.
- Use The Right Cooking Method: Choose the right cooking method based on the type of meat you are using. A slow cooker pressure is the best option if you want the meat to be very tender and shreddable.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chipotle Barbacoa?
- Slow Cooker – Cook beef chuck roast in the slow cooker for eight hours.
- Blender – Blend all the ingredients to make a fine puree.
- Cutting Board – Chop off onions and garlic on a cutting board.
- Knife – Use a sharp knife to chop veggies.
- Fork – Shred the beef chuck roast using a fork.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chipotle Barbacoa?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||8 Hours 5 Minutes||8 Hours 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chipotle Barbacoa?
- Beef Chuck Roast – Get a flavorful and tender texture with a beef chuck roast. It gets flavorful as it cooks through.
- Beef Broth – Take half a cup to add savory flavors. It’s a rich, flavorful liquid.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar adds nice tanginess and helps to tenderize the beef. It has a slightly sweet, tart flavor.
- Orange Juice – Add orange juice to hint at the sweetness and balance the flavors. It will add a citrusy, tropical taste.
- Lime Juice – You’ll need lime juice to add zesty flavors, as well as it helps the meat become tenderized.
- Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce – Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give a smoky, spicy flavor to the barbacoa.
- Garlic – Add garlic for the intense flavors to the barbacoa. It adds depth to flavors.
- Onion – For savory flavors, don’t miss out on adding onions. Also, it adds nice crunchiness to the dish.
- Cumin – For warm, earthy flavors, add ground cumin. A little dash is fine for the barbacoa.
- Oregano – It’s time to add your favorite herb of everyone. It’s a perfect herb.
- Bay Leaves – Bay leaves add a subtle, aromatic flavor to the dish. These are aromatic leaves that are often used in cooking to add flavors.
- Salt – Enhance the overall flavor of the barbacoa with a pinch of salt.
- Black Pepper – Add a little heat and a slightly bitter taste to the barbacoa with black pepper.
Steps To Make Chipotle Barbacoa
1. Prepare Beef Chuck Roast
Cut beef chuck roast into large chunks. Then add oil to the slow cooker and place the beef chuck roast in a slow cooker. Cook on a low flame.
2. Blending Time
Meanwhile, In a blender, combine the beef broth, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper.
Blend until smooth. It creates the marinade for the beef, infusing it with various bold, flavorful ingredients.
Pour the marinade over the beef chuck roast in the slow cooker. Add the diced onion and bay leaves to the cooker.
3. Cook In A Slow Cooker
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8 hours or until the beef is tender. This slow, gentle cooking method allows the marinade flavors to fully penetrate the beef, resulting in tender, flavorful meat.
After it’s tenderized, turn off the flame. Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred it with a fork. Discard any excess fat.
Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker and stir it into the sauce. Chipotle barbacoa is ready. Serve the barbacoa in a burrito, taco, or on salad. Enjoy!
How Will Chipotle Barbacoa Look And Taste Like?
Chipotle barbacoa is a delicious dish made with tender and slow-cooked beef. It’s infused with a variety of bold flavors. It has a rich and savory taste along with bright, citrusy flavors that come from orange juice. The spice level is a bit higher due to the chipotle peppers.
As for its appearance, the barbacoa has a deep brown, rich color, and a slightly moist texture. Chipotle barbacoa is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
Chipotle Barbacoa Copycat Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- 3 Ibs Beef Chuck Roast
- ½ cup Beef Broth
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 2 Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 small Onion
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Place the beef chuck roast in a slow cooker.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the beef broth, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the beef chuck roast in the slow cooker. Add the diced onion and bay leaves.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for eight hours or until the beef is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred it with a fork. Discard any excess fat.
- Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker and stir it into the sauce.
- Chipotle barbacoa is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use a different type of beef?
You can use a different type of beef for this recipe. Some options include short ribs, brisket, or beef round. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed to ensure that the beef is tender and fully cooked.
Can I adjust the level of spice in the recipe?
You can adjust the spice level in the recipe by using fewer or more chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Keep in mind that the peppers in adobo sauce are quite spicy, so using more of them will increase the heat level of the dish. If you’re sensitive to spicy foods, start with a smaller amount and adjust to taste.
Can I make the recipe in the oven instead of a slow cooker?
You can make this recipe in the oven instead of a slow cooker. Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C) and place the beef chuck roast in a large roasting pan. Pour the marinade over the beef and add the diced onion and bay leaves. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 3-4 hours or until the beef is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
Can I make the recipe ahead of time?
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time. After the beef is cooked and shredded, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve it, reheat it in a pan over medium heat until it’s hot and steaming. You can also freeze the cooked and shredded beef for up to 3 months.
What to serve with barbacoa?
You can serve burritos, tacos, salad, nachos, quesadillas, and fajitas with barbacao.
Well, there you have it, folks! With this delicious recipe for Chipotle barbacoa, you can enjoy all the flavors of your favorite Mexican fast-food chain right in your home.
And let’s be real, who doesn’t love a good burrito filled with tender, flavorful meat and all the toppings their heart desires? So go ahead, fire up that slow cooker, and get ready to satisfy your chipotle cravings in style.