Chinese fried rice is a great and easy rice recipe for satiating hunger that can be prepared within half an hour. It has a lot of veggies and sauces. However, if you are using cooked rice, the time reduces by 20 minutes.
Fried rice is a rice dish that is generally made by stir-frying rice with other ingredients. You can add a lot of things to fried rice like vegetables, eggs, chicken, and meat. It all depends on your preference.
To make Chinese fried rice at home, heat oil in a pan and add ginger and garlic paste to it. In a bowl, mix sauces and add vegetables. Transfer this to the pan and cook the vegetables.
In another pan, heat the oil and add the cooked rice to it. Season it with salt. Add cooked vegetables to it and stir for some time. Remove the pan from heat and garnish with green onions.
You can also add a zingy touch to the fried rice by adding some plum sauce to it. If you don’t have plum sauce, here is a list of plum sauce substitutes.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with different ingredients. As long as you keep the basic ratios of rice to veggies, you can’t go wrong. So go ahead and have fun with it!
This was just an overview of the recipe of Chinese fried rice. Find the complete recipe below.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chinese Fried Rice?
- Pot – Cook the rice in a pot until tender and fluffy.
- Pan – Cook the veggies in a pan until crispy.
- Skillet – Add the cooked rice and saucy veggies in a skillet for the recipe.
- Bowl – Prepare the Chinese sauce in a bowl for the recipe.
- Knife – Chop the veggies finely using a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies and grate the spices on a chopping board.
- Grater – Grate ginger and garlic using a grater.
- Spatula – Stir the rice with saucy veggies until well combines using a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chinese Fried Rice?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||25 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chinese Fried Rice?
- White Rice – White rice is perfect for fried rice. It cooks up fluffy and not sticky, with individual grains remaining firm and distinct.
- Green Chilly Sauce – Green chilly sauce is the perfect condiment for the rice as it will add hot and spicy taste.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce is a popular choice for fried rice as it will help prevent the rice from spoiling and add umami, sweet taste, and finally slight bitterness.
- Vinegar – Vinegar is used in a fried rice as it will add a slight tang to the rice and enhances the taste.
- Olive Oil – Cook the veggies in a olive oil until brown and crispy. Use oil with a high smoke point, like olive oil, to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan.
- Green Onion – Add chopped green onion and cook it to add mild sweet flavor to the rice.
- Carrot – The cooked carrot will give the rice a slightly sweet flavor with earthy or bitter taste.
- Beans – Add beans and cook them to give the rice a distinct nutty flavor, which tastes sweet and tender when cooked.
- Capsicum – Add chopped red capsicums to give the rice the sweetest taste.
- Green Chilly – Sauté green chilly in oil before cooking the dish to add a hot and spicy taste.
- Green Onion Leaves – Top your rice with green onion leaves to add a kick of a mild and gentle flavor.
- Ginger – Roasted ginger will add a slightly smoky taste with a complex spiciness to the rice.
- Garlic – Roasted garlic will add a sweet flavor to tot he recipe.
- Salt – Salt will surprisingly enhances the rice and gives it flavor.
- White Pepper – The white pepper will add musty, grassy, or slightly fermented taste to the rice.
Steps To Make Chinese Fried Rice
1. Chop And Sauté The Staples
Start by chopping green onion, carrots, beans, capsicum, and green chilly finely. Next grate ginger and garlic and keep them aside.
Take a pot filled with water and add white rice. Bring it to boil until tender and fluffy for 10 minutes.
In a pan, heat oil. Once heated, add grated ginger and garlic paste to it and roast it. Now add chopped green onions and green chilly and cook them for a while until translucent.
2. The Chinese Sauce
In a bowl, mix green chilly sauce, soya sauce, and vinegar. Mix until well combined.
Add finely chopped carrot, beans, and capsicum to the sauce. Season it with salt and white pepper powder and mix well.
Pour the sauce to the pan, stir well, and remove once done.
3. The Final Step
Take a skillet and put the cooked rice in it. Sprinkle with salt to it and mix well. Now, add cooked veggies and sauce to it.
Mix thoroughly and garnish it with green onion leaves and serve hot.
How Will Chinese Fried Rice Look And Taste Like?
The taste of Chinese fried rice is definitely something you’ll love. The rice is cooked with carrots, onions, and peas for a bit of sweetness and color with a nice crispy exterior on the rice.
The soy sauce and green chilly sauce has added tons of flavor and depth to the dish. The result is a delicious and comforting dish that’s perfect for any time of day.
Chinese fried rice is moist but not sticky, and has a light, loose and fluffy texture. This is largely because our staple rice is the long-grain variety.16-Feb-2020
Chinese Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 cups White Rice
- 2 teaspoons Green Chilly Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soya Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium-sized Green Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Carrot (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Beans (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilly (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Green Onion Leaves (Enough for garnishing)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon White Pepper Powder
- Start by chopping green onion, carrots, beans, capsicum, and green chilly finely. Next grate ginger and garlic and keep them aside.
- Take a pot filled with water and add white rice. Bring it to boil until tender and fluffy for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add grated ginger and garlic paste to it and roast it.
- Add chopped green onions and chilies and cook them for a while until crispy and brown.
- In a bowl, mix green chilly sauce, soya sauce, and vinegar.
- Now, add finely chopped carrot, beans, and capsicum to it.
- Sprinkle with salt and white pepper powder to it and mix well.
- Add the sauce to the pan and stir well. Once done, remove it from the flame.
- In a skillet, heat oil and add the cooked rice in it. Sprinkle salt to it and mix well.
- Now transfer cooked veggies and sauce to it and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish it with green onion leaves and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you need a wok to make fried rice?
The short answer is yes, but if you don’t have one handy, then a large frying pan should work just fine.
Can you freeze fried rice?
Absolutely! The best way is to let it cool completely before transferring it into an airtight container for storage. This will ensure that your leftovers last for up to three months in the freezer!
What else can I add to my fried rice?
To mix things up a bit, stir in some cooked or uncooked vegetables or protein like tofu or shrimp. You could also try adding different sauces and spices to give the dish even more flavor. The possibilities are endless!
What gives Chinese fried rice its flavor?
The most important sauces to add are soy sauce, oyster sauce, and fish sauce in fried rice. All three add unique flavors to rice, but it can be easy to go overboard. Make sure you add small amounts of each and regularly taste the rice. Your goal should be to emphasize the flavors of your rice, meat and vegetables.
All things considered, Chinese fried rice is a wonderfully versatile dish that’s both tasty and healthy. Not to mention, it’s a great way to use up any leftovers you might have lying around.
So why not give it a try for yourself? With a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to make this dish like a pro.