A creamy, scrumptious soup loaded with potatoes, bacon, and cheese! I’m sure I’m not the only one who craves Chili’s baked potato soup. It’s the best recipe for baked potatoes.
Chili’s baked potato soup has mashed potatoes mixed with cream, roux (of flour and onion), chicken stock, and butter. You can season the soup with salt and pepper according to your taste. It’s super creamy and smooth.
You can customize its taste by adding some more spices. But if you want it to be like Chili’s baked potato soup, stick to the instructions below.
I’ve mentioned some important equipment and ingredients in the lists, including recipe instructions. But before you read the entire recipe, check out other recipes from the Chili’s menu.
1. Chili’s Cajun Chicken Pasta– Chili’s Cajun chicken pasta has chicken spiced up with Cajun seasoning and is served with penne pasta and diced tomatoes. The pasta is infused with the flavors of garlic, pepper, cheese, and parsley. The shredded cheese and chopped parsley on top add more flavors to it.
2. Chili’s Enchilada Soup– Chili’s enchilada soup is loaded with cheese, chicken, and flavors from herbs and spices. It’s filled with the taste of enchilada sauce, Velveeta cheese, Masa Harina, and spices like chili, garlic powder, pepper. It’s served shredded cheese and chopped chives on top.
3. Chili’s Queso– Chili’s queso is a mouth-watering combination of cheese, milk, and spices. It has the taste of Velveeta cheese and Hormel chili mixed together with spices like pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, and many more. This delicious dip can be enjoyed with any Mexican side dish.
4. Chili’s Salsa– Chili’s salsa is a famous dip that contains tomatoes and green chili mixed with spices like pepper, salt, etc. This dip can be enjoyed with tortillas, chips, burritos, or any other Mexican side dish. It’s an easy copycat recipe and gets ready within a few minutes.
What Are The Tips To Make The Best Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
If you want to make Chili’s famous Baked potato soup at home, here are some tips to help you make it as delicious as possible:
- Use High-Quality Ingredients – Start with high-quality ingredients to make a great soup. Use fresh potatoes, high-quality bacon, and sharp cheddar cheese for the best flavor.
- Cook The Bacon Properly – Cook the bacon until it is crispy and fully cooked. It will enhance the soup’s flavor and give it a crispy texture.
- Use A Roux To Thicken The Soup – A roux is a mixture of equal parts butter and flour. Cook the roux until it turns a golden brown, then slowly whisk in the milk to create a creamy base for the soup.
- Add The Cheese At The End – Once the soup has finished cooking, add the shredded cheese and stir until it is fully melted. It will give the soup a rich and creamy texture.
- Use An Immersion Blender – To give the soup a smooth and creamy texture, use an immersion blender to puree the potatoes and other ingredients. It will help to break down any lumps and create a silky smooth soup.
- Season The Soup Properly – Add salt, black pepper, and other seasonings to taste. Remember that the bacon and cheese will add saltiness to the soup, so be careful not to overdo it.
- Garnish With Toppings – Top the soup with chopped bacon, shredded cheese, green onions, and sour cream for a restaurant-style presentation.
Following these tips, you can make a delicious homemade version of Chili’s baked potato soup to impress your family and friends.
Can I Boil Potatoes Instead Of Baking Them For Baked Potato Soup?
Yes, you can boil potatoes instead of baking them for baked potato soup. However, baking the potatoes gives them a slightly nutty and caramelized flavor, which adds an extra depth of flavor to the soup.
Boiling the potatoes will give you a different texture and flavor, but it will still work. To boil the potatoes for baked potato soup, follow these steps:
- Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the potatoes simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool before adding them to the soup.
- Continue with the baked potato soup recipe as usual, adding the boiled potatoes to the soup.
Note: Boiling the potatoes can result in a slightly more watery soup than baking them, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid you add to the soup to achieve the desired consistency.
Which Is The Best Potato For Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
Chili’s baked potato soup is typically made with Russet potatoes, a starchy potato variety that holds its shape well when cooked and has a neutral flavor. Russet potatoes are also high in starch, which helps to thicken the soup.
However, you can also use other types of potatoes, depending on your preference. Yukon Gold potatoes are another good option for baked potato soup, as they have a creamy texture and a slightly buttery flavor.
Red or new potatoes can also be used, but they have a waxy texture that may not be as suitable for a creamy soup like baked potato soup.
Regardless of the potato variety, ensure they are firm and free from soft spots or blemishes.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
- Oven – Bake the potatoes in an oven for smokey flavors.
- Saucepan – Sauté the onions in a saucepan. It would be best if you had a saucepan to make the soup.
- Bowl – Use a large bowl to mash the potatoes and to keep the ingredients like chopped potatoes and onions.
- Spatula – Safely stir all ingredients using a spatula in the saucepan.
- Spoon – Add cream or other ingredients to the pan using a spoon.
- Knife – Chop baked potatoes into small cubes with a knife for the recipe.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||1 Hour 30 Minutes||1 Hour 50 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
For The Soup:
- Potatoes – Use two medium-sized potatoes for this recipe. I’ve used Russet potatoes. You are free to choose any potato for this soup.
- Butter – Saute the onions in about three tablespoons of butter. Butter cooks the veggies and adds an extra buttery flavor to the soup.
- Chicken Stock – Add four cups of chicken stock to the soup to add flavor.
- Half And Half –Use one cup of half-and-half to give the soup a nice and smooth texture.
- Mashed Potatoes – You need instant mashed potatoes for baked potato soup.
- Onion – For onions, use a cup of diced white onions for this recipe. White onions add a mildly sweet flavor.
- Flour – You need about two tablespoons of flour to make a roux. The roux thickens the soup and gives it a nice texture.
- Basil – Basil will balance sweet and savory flavor with hints of mint, anise, and pepper.
- Thyme – Thyme will give the soup an earthy, minty, and slightly lemony flavor.
- Pepper – Add some heat to the soup by adding pepper to it.
- Salt – A teaspoon of salt will enhance the taste of the soup.
- Cheddar Cheese – Garnish the soup with a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bacon – Use a one-fourth cup of cooked and crumbled bacon to garnish baked potato soup.
- Green Onions – Chop two green onions to garnish the soup.
Steps To Make Chili’s Baked Potato Soup
Step 1- Before baking the potatoes, make a slit in it.
Step 2- Bake the potatoes for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C.
Step 3- Meanwhile, in a pan, add butter, onions, and sauté it until translucent.
Step 4- Now, add flour to the saucepan and mix it to make a roux.
Step 5- Add some chicken stock to the pan and mix it well.
Step 6- Once mixed, add half and half and stir it well.
Step 7- It’s time to add some instant mashed potatoes into this mixture to give it a more creamy texture.
Step 8- Season the mixture with basil, thyme, black pepper, and some salt.
Step 9- Now, it’s time to add baked potatoes to this mixture. So, take them out and peel the potatoes carefully.
Step 10- Finely chop the baked potatoes and add them to this soup mixture. Stir in chopped baked potatoes and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes until the soup is thick.
Step 11- Transfer soup into a bowl with cheddar cheese on top. Garnish with a half teaspoon of bacon and chopped green onion and serve.
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||465 IU|
|Vitamin C||20 mg|
How Will Chili’s Baked Potato Soup Look And Taste Like?
Chili’s baked potato soup is ready! Can you believe that a restaurant-style soup could be this easy? It’s filled with the creaminess of half-and-half and mashed potatoes. Butter adds to its rich texture and flavor.
It has the flavor of basic seasoning spices like salt and pepper with a hint of herbal aroma from thyme and parsley. The crispy bacon and cheddar cheese on top adds extra flavor and fun to this soup.
How To Store Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
To store Chili’s baked potato soup, follow these simple steps:
- Let the soup cool down to room temperature before storing it. Leave it on the counter for up to 2 hours or in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Once the soup has cooled down, transfer it to an airtight container. You can use a plastic or glass container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Label the container with the date and contents, so you know when it was made and what’s inside.
- Store the container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you are storing it in the freezer, leave some space at the top of the container, as the soup will expand as it freezes.
- You can microwave or heat the soup on the stovetop to reheat it. If it’s frozen, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. Ensure the soup is heated to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before serving.
Note: Cream-based soups like baked potato soup can separate when reheated, so stir the soup well before serving.
What To Serve With Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
Chili’s baked potato soup is a hearty and filling dish, but you can always pair it with other dishes to make a complete meal. Here are some suggestions for what to serve with this soup:
- Salad – A fresh green salad is always a great complement to a warm soup. You can keep it simple with lettuce and dressing or add extra toppings like tomatoes, cucumbers, and shredded cheese.
- Bread – Warm crusty bread or some dinner rolls are perfect for dipping into the soup and sopping up any leftover broth.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Nothing goes better with soup than a gooey, cheesy cheese sandwich. You can use any cheese you like and add bacon or tomato to make it even more delicious.
- Roasted Vegetables – Roasted vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, or cauliflower add a nice crunch and depth of flavor to the meal. You can roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper and serve them alongside the soup.
- Meat Or Chicken – Grilled or roasted chicken or steak is a great option to add protein to your meal. You can season them with some herbs and spices for extra flavor.
Chili’s Baked Potato Soup Recipe
For The Soup
- 2 Russet Potatoes (medium-size)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Half-And-Half
- 1.5 cups Instant Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup White onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- ½ teaspoon Basil
- ⅛ teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded and divided)
- ¼ cup Cooked Bacon (crumbled and divided)
- 2 Green Onions (chopped and divided)
- Before baking the potatoes, make a slit in it.
- Bake the potatoes for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add butter, onions, and sauté it until translucent.
- Now, add flour to the saucepan and mix it to make a roux.
- Add some chicken stock to the pan and mix it well.
- Once mixed, add half and half and stir it well.
- It’s time to add some instant mashed potatoes into this mixture to give it a more creamy texture.
- Season the mixture with basil, thyme, black pepper, and some salt.
- Now, it’s time to add baked potatoes to this mixture. So, take them out and peel the potatoes carefully.
- Finely chop the baked potatoes and add them to this soup mixture. Stir in chopped baked potatoes and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes until the soup is thick.
- Transfer soup into a bowl with cheddar cheese on top. Garnish with a half teaspoon of bacon and chopped green onion and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How can I thicken Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
Chili’s baked potato soup is typically thickened with a roux made of butter and flour. If the soup is too thin, you can add more flour to the roux or use cornstarch or a slurry made of cornstarch and water to thicken it further. Be sure to whisk the thickening agent into the soup thoroughly to avoid lumps.
Can I make Chili’s Baked Potato Soup in advance?
Yes, you can make Chili’s baked potato soup in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to cool the soup completely before storing it and reheat it thoroughly before serving.
How do I make Chili’s Baked Potato Soup?
To make Chili’s baked potato Soup, you will need to bake or boil potatoes, sauté onions and garlic, make a roux with butter and flour, add chicken broth and heavy cream, and then add the cooked potatoes and cheddar cheese. You can find a detailed recipe and instructions online.
Is Chili’s Baked Potato Soup gluten-free?
No, Chili’s potato soup is not gluten-free as it contains flour, which is a source of gluten. However, you can substitute the flour with a gluten-free alternative, such as cornstarch or rice flour, to make it gluten-free.
That’s all about Chili’s baked potato soup recipe. Share your views in the comments below of you tried this recipe. Check out our other recipes too.