Talking about chicken today, I have another Indian recipe that has chicken as its primary ingredient. The dish is called chicken korma. The chicken korma has the richness of dry fruits and some unique and healthy spices and herbs that make it an authentic south Asian preparation.
Chicken korma is a kind of preparation in which yogurt or curd plays an important role. Without yogurt, this recipe is not possible as it helps to tender and marinate the chicken at the same time. Talking about its history, so this recipe was brought to India by Mughals from Central Asia. Mughals were very keen on eating rich food and always included dry fruits and nuts in their diet.
To make chicken korma, marinate chicken in a mixture of oil, garam masala, salt, curry powder, and some yogurt for 2 hours. Then, cook the chicken from both sides. After that, make a paste of almonds, onions, and garlic in a blender. In a pan, add oil, almond paste, tomatoes, ginger, coconut milk, almonds, red chili, and spices and cook it for half an hour.
This is just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Lemon Chicken– Lemon chicken is one of the easiest recipes among other chicken recipes. You must be wondering; we can even put lemon on the chicken rather than adding it while cooking.
2. Creamy White Chicken Chili– There are so many varieties of chili out there, but this creamy white chicken chili will soon be your favorite.
3. Grilled Lamb– This Garlic and Rosemary Lamb Chops are an easy dinner recipe made with a super fresh and flavorful marinade and grilled to perfection.
4. Myron Mixon Brisket– Myron Mixon is one of the most famous bbq pitmasters in the country today. Myron Mixon recipes are very popular among the online community, especially his ‘Power Cooking’ technique or as known for many as the ‘Hot and Fast Cooking’ technique for brisket.
Chicken Korma Recipe
- 12-15 Almonds
- 2-3 Green Cardamom Pods
- ½ teaspoon Peppercorn
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 whole Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- 1½ teaspoon Coconut (shredded)
- Cilantro (chopped) (to garnish)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1½ teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 3 large Tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ Red Chili (minced)
- 1½ Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 teaspoons Plain Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- First, we will marinate the chicken in a mixture of oil, garam masala, salt, curry powder, and some yogurt. Keep it aside for about 2 hours or overnight as you wish.
- In a skillet, add some oil and cook the chicken from both sides. It will take you around 5-6 minutes.
- Now, with a help of a blender, blend the almonds, onions and garlic along with 1 cup of water. Make a fine paste out of it.
- In a large saucepan, add some oil and saute the almond paste in it. Cook it for about 2-3 minutes until is cooked and fragrant. Stir it continuously and see if its color changes to dark.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, coconut milk, almonds, red chili, and spices to this paste and cook them along. Stir it well.
- Now, keeping the heat on low, add the chicken into the pan and cook it for about 30 minutes along with the sauce that was already cooking. Check the consistency of the sauce and add more water if you want. Garnish with some fresh cilantro and fresh cream.