A takeoff on Shrimp or crawfish etouffee, Chicken Etouffee is New Orleans’ delicacy. It is smothering of meat in a sauce with a roux which is a mixture of fat and flour cooked together. Chicken Etouffee establishes itself as a Cajun/ Creole main dish. Also, it is easy and quick to make. Your mouth would water at the mere sight of this lip-smacking dish.
My mother cooks delicious Chicken Etouffee and it’s one of my favourite dishes. She generally cooks some long rice to be served alongside it. Once we hosted my father’s business partners at our home. And my mother served them white wine with Chicken Etouffee. They were all in praise of her. You too can add such additional things to the main dish. Isn’t that amazing?
So, if you want to know how to make Chicken Etouffee at home, I have brought Chicken Etouffee Recipe for you. Enjoy the process! But here are some other amazing recipes that you should definitely try.
1. Sicilian Timballo– Sicilian Timballo is an oven-baked anelletti cooked in meat sauce, popular in Sicily. Anelleti is little rings of pasta. These rings measure about one centimeter in diameter. This dish is excellent for every occasion, from birthdays to Christmas dinner.
2. Bavette Steak– Bavette steak is a French name for the flank steak of a cow. This cut has rich and deep flavours. It is often referred to as the ‘butcher’s cut’. Intermuscular fat has a high degree of fineness.
3. Jamie Oliver’s Spaghetti Carbonara– Spaghetti Carbonara- a classic Italian dish that receives love by everyone who eats it. And what is not to love about this dish, it has everything in it that a person likes- pasta, cheese, bacon and more.
4. Kamut Pasta– This vegan homemade kamut pasta uses kamut (khorasan) flour, an ancient grain with a slightly sweet flavour, for a healthy whole grain noodle.
Ingredients required for Chicken Etouffee Recipe
|Minced garlic||3 cloves|
|Chopped celery||1/2 cup|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1|
|Boneless, skinless chicken breasts||6|
|Cayenne Pepper||1/8 tsp|
|Cajun or Creole seasoning blend||1 1/2 tsp|
|Chicken broth||1(14 ounces) can|
|Diced tomatoes, undrained||1(14 ounces)|
|Tomato paste||2 tbsp|
|Small raw shrimp, deveined and peeled||1 pound|
How much time will it take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|25 minutes||35 minutes||1 hour|
Chicken Etouffee Recipe
- Take a large skillet.
- Over medium heat, melt butter and oil.
- Now, stir in vegetables.
- In the meantime, chop chicken breasts into 3 pieces each. Dredge the pieces in flour, cayenne pepper and seasoning blend mixture.
- Take out the vegetables from skillet and place them on a plate.
- The coated chicken and remaining flour mixture are to be added to the skillet.
- Let it cook with occasional stirring for about 5-7 minutes. Ensure they get browned.
- Now, again put the vegetables back to the skillet along with chicken broth, tomatoes or tomato paste.
- Let it boil. Then reduce heat.
- Let them cook over a simmer until chicken gets cooked thoroughly and the sauce gets thickened. It would take about 10-15 minutes.
- Now put shrimp to the skillet.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over a simmer until shrimp curls and turns pink.
- You can serve it with hot cooked rice.
Nutritional information of Chicken Etouffee Recipe
|Dietary fiber||3.1 g|
|Saturated fats||8.2 g|
|Vitamin C||20 mg|