The chicken chickpea stew is actually a fusion of Pakistani and Punjabi cuisines. It is made by cooking chicken with chickpeas, vegetables, and spices. This mixture is then stewed for some time. In the end, you get a rich and flavorful stew with a spicy aroma.
My father shared a beautiful story related to the chicken chickpea stew with me. He said when he was young, his grandmother used to make this stew for him. His grandmother was from Lahore (now in Pakistan) and loved to cook. This chicken chickpea stew actually brings back his grandmother’s memories and that’s why he loves making it.
To make chicken chickpea stew, heat oil and butter in a pot and add onions, cumin, and bay leaf to it. Then, add chicken along with spices and water and cook it. To the pot, add chickpea, vegetables, and tomato puree. Add 2 cups of water and cover the pot with a lid. Let the stew cook for about 15 minutes and garnish it with cilantro.
This was an overview of the recipe and not a detailed description. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Mexican Red Bean Salad with Corn and Chickpeas– This salad is just the respite to a long uninteresting day; it’s light and colorful and would be just what you’d need to lighten you up like rainbow scenery.
2. Venison Stew– This Venison Stew Recipe you have got seasonings like oregano and to add on Worcestershire sauce as well. There are different ways of making Venison Stew. Some add red wine to it as well.
3. Shell Steak– Shell Steak means that part of a short loin of beef having no tenderloin. This cut is perfect for pan-frying. Making Shell Steak at home can be really fun as well as equally easy.
4. Makhani Mirch– This golden-colored dish with a titch of green would give you a pleasurable taste just like wearing beautiful jewels. Just as gold and green grace your looks, the same would grace your palate and satisfy your taste buds.
Chicken Chickpea Stew Recipe
- 200 g boneless Chicken
- 100 g White Chickpeas (boiled)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 50 g Broccoli Florets
- 50 g Carrot
- ¼ cups Cilantro Leaves (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2+3 cups Water
- ½ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1½ teaspoon Salt
- In a pre-heated pot, add butter and oil. Add onions, cumin, and bay leaf to it and cook it for a while.
- Then, add chicken to it. After that, add turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder, and ginger-garlic paste to it. Add one cup of water and cook it for about 20 minutes.
- In a pan, heat two cups of water and boil broccoli florets in it. Take them out and dip them once in cold water. Boil the carrots as well.
- To the pot with the cooked chicken, add boiled white chickpeas, salt, and tomato puree. Also, add the boiled vegetables. Also add 2 cups of water to it.
- Stir the mixture and bring it to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot, vented on one side, and let the stew simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from heat when stew has thickened. Garnish with the remaining chopped cilantro. The chicken chickpea stew can be served with jeera rice (cumin rice).