Every cuisine has its version of stuffed peppers. The classic Chef John’s stuffed peppers recipe is updated by tenderizing the beef before cooking and seasoning it with Southwestern spices.
All you need is cooked white rice and ground beef. Add the diced onion, tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and cumin in a bowl and boil it for 10 to 15 minutes.
Stuff each bell pepper halves with the beef and sauce mixture and sprinkle with parsley. Top with shredded cheese. Bake the pepper at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Try adding a small amount of cumin and chili powder to the mixture. Ground chicken or turkey also works great here. If you don’t want white rice, try adding quinoa, farro, cauliflower rice, or orzo.
With this step-by-step guide, you can make flavorful stuffed peppers. Scroll down for the recipe and detailed instructions below for Chef John’s stuffed peppers. Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Salmon Cakes
- Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib
- Chef John’s Chicken And Rice
- Chef John’s Bread And Butter Pickle
- Chef John’s Quiche Lorraine
- Chef John’s Fried Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chef John’s Pecan Pie
- Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes
- Chef John’s Gazpacho
- Chef John’s Meatballs
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers?
- Oven – The perfect cookware item for preparing pepper filling is the oven.
- Saucepan – Cook the rice in a saucepan until the rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Mixing Bowls – Mix the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Spatula – Toss the sauce and beef mixture with shredded cheese until well coated.
- Knife – Chop the veggies with a sharp knife into chunks to add to the filling.
- Cheese Grater – Grate the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese with a cheese grater to top the stuffed pepper.
- Chopping Board – Place the chopping board under the veggies to avoid mess.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||1 Hour 25 Minutes||1 Hour 55 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers?
- Ground Beef – Cook ground beef until the beef is no longer pink. It pairs nicely with spices, tomatoes, and cheese.
- White Rice – Cook the white rice for a softer and more sticky texture.
- Green Bell Peppers – Cut the green bell pepper in halves which will act as a healthy, colorful, and tender vessel for the flavorful filling.
- Onion – Chop and cook the onion until soft and translucent to add a sweet flavor.
- Tomatoes – Dice tomatoes for a simple change that adds a more complex flavor to the recipe without sacrificing moisture.
- Marinara Sauce – Add marinara sauce for a velvety texture and a rich bite of olive oil.
- Beef Broth – Add beef broth for a dark brown filling with an umami flavor.
- Italian Pork Sausage – The Italian pork sausages will add a more earthy flavor to the recipe.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese – Grate the cheese in a bowl for a sharp, complex fruity taste with a strong savory flavor and a slightly gritty texture.
- Balsamic Vinegar – Pour the balsamic vinegar for a rich and complex sweetness with notes of fig, molasses, cherry, chocolate, or prune.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Season your filling with red pepper flakes for a slightly sharp and earthy taste with a decent spicy flavor.
- Italian Parsley – Garnish Italian parsley over the stuffed peppers for a clean and slightly peppery taste.
- Garlic – Add garlic to the filling for a unique and intense flavor.
- Salt – Adding salt will enhance the flavors and balance out the sauce’s sweetness.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will aid a spicy, earthy, hot, woody and distinct flavor that pairs well with this recipe.
- Cayenne Pepper – Sprinkle cayenne pepper while making the stuffing for a hot and a little fruity flavor.
- Olive oil – Cook the beef and onion in olive oil until tender and translucent.
- Water – Boil the long-grain white rice in the water until it is tender.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers
1. Chop-Chop The Veggies
Cut a thin slice of each bell pepper from the stem, remove seeds and membranes, and rinse them.
Dice the onion and tomatoes to add to the sauce.
2. Making Of Rice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, start prepping for the recipe.
Bring long-grain white rice and two cups of water to a boil in a saucepan until the rice is tender for 20 to 25 minutes. Set the cooked rice aside.
3. The Sauce Mixture
Dice the onion and cook it with olive oil in a saucepan until it softens for about 5 minutes.
Now stir in the marinara sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes with cooked onion in a saucepan for 1 minute. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and set aside.
4. Making Of Stuff
Add the ground beef to a saucepan and cook until browned. Mix well in Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and onion mix in the bowl.
Stir in cooked rice and grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Stuff green bell peppers with cooked beef and sausage mixture.
5. Baking The Stuffed Peppers
Place green bell peppers in the baking dish and bake the peppers in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Bake until the beef is no longer pink and the green peppers are tender.
|Vitamin C||74 mg|
How Will Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers Look And Taste Like?
Succulent bell peppers are filled with a flavorful blend of ground beef, rice, and cheesy. This classic Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers recipe is an all-in-one meal that ties together many of your favorite ingredients! The flavor is condensed, not too crispy, and not falling apart.
Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 cup Long Grain White Rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (crushed)
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 10-ounce can Tomatoes (diced)
- 4 large Green Bell Peppers (halved lengthwise and seeded)
- ¼ pound Hot Italian Pork Sausage (casing removed)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup Fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil long-grain white rice in water until the rice is tender for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Dice the onion and cook it with olive oil in a saucepan until it softens for about 5 minutes.
- Now stir in the marinara sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes with cooked onion in a saucepan for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef to a saucepan and cook until browned.
- Mix well in Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and onion mix in the bowl.
- Stir in cooked rice and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Stuff green bell peppers with cooked beef and sausage mixture.
- Place green bell peppers in the baking dish and bake the peppers in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Bake until the beef is no longer pink and the green peppers are tender.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use ground beef instead of pork?
Yes, you can. You can also use ground turkey, lamb, or chicken.
Can I make these peppers ahead of time?
Yes, you can. Assemble the peppers, but don’t bake them. Instead, cover them tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 12 hours—Bake as directed, increasing the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes if necessary.
What’s the best way to thicken the sauce?
The best way to thicken the sauce is to combine one tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl, then stir the mixture into the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook for 1 minute or until thickened.
Do you need to cover stuffed peppers when baking?
We recommend covering stuffed pepper with aluminum foil for 30-35 minutes to ensure the peppers do not dry out. Uncover the foil and top with cheese, and bake for the remaining 10 minutes until the peppers are brown and bubbly.
It’s not hard to make Chef John’s stuffed peppers; you need a few simple ingredients and about an hour of your time. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll have a delicious and hearty meal that’s perfect for any occasion. Give Chef John’s stuffed peppers a try today!