It’s no secret that Chef John is a master of salmon recipes. His smoked salmon dip is legendary, and his salmon cake is always a hit with guests. So, we decided to go behind the scenes and get Chef John’s salmon cakes recipe done right.
Start by preheating your oven and cooking your salmon for about 10 minutes. Make sure to grease it with olive oil. Whisk in sauteed onion, bell pepper and other ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Form into the shape of patties and cook with olive oil for the tastiest results.
We dressed Chef John salmon cakes with garlic, bell pepper, old bay seasoning and celery. You can also add parsley, Worcestershire sauce, or cilantro. Feel free to improvise and make these salmon cakes on your own!
This recipe is easy to follow, and it’s a great way to use up any leftover salmon. Give it a try, and let us know what you think! Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
What's In The Post
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Gazpacho
- Chef John’s Au Jus
- Chef John’s Chicken And Rice
- Chef John’s Bread And Butter Pickle
- Chef John’s Quiche Lorraine
- Chef John’s Fried Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chef John’s Pecan Pie
- Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes
- Chef John’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Chef John’s Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Salmon Cakes?
- Oven – Bake the salmon, uncovered, for 10-15 min in the oven until cooked through.
- Saucepan – Cook the minced onion and bell pepper until translucent.
- Cream Scoop – form 13-14 patties using a flat ice cream scoop.
- Parchment Paper – Line parchment paper in the oven to avoid burning salmon.
- Mixing Bowls – Combine the ingredients in mixing bowls until smooth and creamy.
- Wire Rack – Place salmon skin-side down on a wire rack, brush with olive oil and season with minced garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Fork – Flake baked salmon with a fork, remove bones, and cool to room temperature while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Knife – Mince veggies, garlic, and salmon with a sharp knife into chunks to add to the mixture and to make the recipe.
- Chopping Board – Place the chopping board beneath the veggies before chopping them to avoid mess.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Salmon Cakes?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||1 Hour 15 Minutes||1 Hour 35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Salmon Cakes?
- Olive Oil – Cook the veggies in olive oil and brush the oil on the salmon while baking it to make it crisper.
- Onion – Sauté onion until they caramelize for a subtle sweetness to its earthiness.
- Red Pepper – Sauté red bells in olive oil for a sweeter and slightly citrus flavor.
- Wild Salmon – Salmon, will add a bit on the sweet and fatty side, with a hint of tartness.
- Mayonnaise – Add plain and good-quality mayo for a little sweetness.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – Add panko breadcrumbs to the beef mixture which will work as a binder for the patties, helping them to form into nicely rounded shapes.
- Capers – Capers will add a lemony tang with a splash of floral tartness to the cake.
- Garlic – Mince garlic to give a nutty flavor to the recipe.
- Cayenne – Cayenne will add a hot and a little fruity flavor.
- Old Bay – The seasoning has complex flavors, ranging from the sweetness of paprika with a kick of cayenne and the warmth of cinnamon.
- Dijon Mustard – Dijon mustard is thrown into the mix to contribute mouth-smacking and savory flavor.
- Celery – Celery will add a leafy and earthy flavor to the salmon cake.
- Salt – Add salt while preparing the recipe to enhance the flavor.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will lend a complex flavor profile of piney, citrusy notes, making bolder versions of the recipe.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Salmon Cakes
1. Slice Them Up
Chop one large onion and red bell pepper into chunks to add with other ingredients. Now mince the garlic and celery and keep it aside. Dice the well-drained salmon into thin layers and bake it.
2. Baking Salmon
Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place salmon skin-side down on a wire rack, brush with olive oil and season with minced garlic, salt and black pepper.
Bake the salmon, uncovered, for 10-15 min until cooked through. Remove the salmon from the oven, cover it with foil and allow it to rest for ten minutes.
Discard the skin, flake salmon with forks, remove bones, and cool to room temperature while preparing the remaining ingredients.
3. Cook The Ingredients
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and finely diced onion, and red bell pepper. Sauté until softened and golden (7-9 minutes), add capers and cook until fragrant for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flaked salmon, sautéed onion and pepper, panko bread crumbs, mayo, mustard, cayenne, minced garlic, seafood seasoning, a pinch of salt and black pepper, and chopped celery.
4. The Salmon Cakes
Stir to combine, then form into 13-14 patties. You can use a flat ice cream scoop and press them into 1/3 to 1/2″ thick patties.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan pan over medium heat, add half of the salmon cakes and sauté for 4 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Vitamin C||7 mg|
How Will Chef John’s Salmon Cakes Look And Taste Like?
Chef John salmon cakes are made with fresh salmon, which makes them juicy. With a crisp breaded exterior, they are crunchy on the outside and delicious on the inside since they have onions, parsley, mustard, and hot sauce to burst with flavor in each bite.
Chef John’s Salmon Cakes Recipe
- Parchment Paper
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- Ice-cream scoop
- Chopping Board
- Wire Rack
- 1 ¼ pounds Fresh Wild Salmon (trimmed and coarsely chopped)
- ¼ cup Onion (finely minced)
- 2 tbsp Red Pepper (finely minced)
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 2 tbsp Celery (minced)
- ¼ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Chop the onion and red bell pepper in a bowl. Then mince the garlic and celery. Now coarsely chop the wild salmon and keep it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place salmon skin on a wire rack, brush with olive oil and season with minced garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Bake the salmon for 10-15 min until cooked through, and remove it once cooked.
- Discard the skin, flake salmon with a fork, remove bones, and cool to room temperature.
- Sauté diced onion and red bell pepper in a saucepan with olive oil.
- Add capers and cook until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flaked salmon, sautéed onion and pepper, panko bread crumbs, mayo, mustard, cayenne, minced garlic, seafood seasoning, a pinch of salt and black pepper, and chopped celery.
- Stir to combine, then form into 13-14 patties using a flat ice cream scoop.
- Add half of the salmon cakes and sauté for 4 minutes per side in a saucepan until golden brown and cooked.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I keep my salmon cakes from falling apart?
Add panko breadcrumbs with the egg, which works as a binder for the cakes, helping them form nicely rounded shapes. You can leave the breadcrumbs, which will create trouble forming the patties.
Can I make these cakes in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make salmon cakes in the fryer. Preheat your air fryer and cook your patties for about 10 minutes. Make sure to spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray before adding the cakes. We recommend brushing the patties with olive oil for the crispiest, tastiest results!
How to serve your salmon cake creation?
One easy way is to put a scoop of salmon cake on top of a bed of greens, like arugula or spinach. Also, try serving it with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt on top for a bit of extra flavor.
Why are my salmon cakes dry?
If the cake mixture is too moist to hold the shape, add more bread crumbs and add an extra Tablespoon of mayo if it is too dry.
Chef John’s salmon cakes recipe is everything you’ve been looking for. It’s easy to follow, and the result is a delicious, mouth-watering salmon cake that you’ll be proud to serve your friends and family.