Chef John’s refried beans is famous because the US chef has incorporated flavors, giving these Beans a new twist making them more delicious.
Many people have misconceptions regarding the name of the recipe and conclude it as double frying method. However, the name ‘refried beans’ came from a Spanish dish name ‘refritos’ which means well fried.
To make Chef John’s refried beans, put soaked beans with garlic, epazote, and cold water in a stockpot and cook for 2 hours. Add lard, onion and salt in a pan and cook until brown.
Then, add serrano pepper and chipotle powder. Add the beans to this pan and mash them until desired consistency.
Adding sour cream to refried beans can dress up your dish, making it thinner and creamier.
Besides this addition, hot sauce, and shredded cheese may give you the same flavors as Mexican restaurants and makes the best refried beans.
Don’t have pinto beans? Here is a list of pinto beans substitutes that you can use. This was just a snippet of the complete recipe, which you’ll find going below.
But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
1. Patti LaBelle’s Macaroni and Cheese– Patti LaBelle’s macaroni and cheese has not one or two but seven different kinds of cheeses. All are combined together to give different textures and powerful flavor to the dish.
2. Chef Guy Fieri’s Trash Can Nachos– If you’re a fan of trash can nachos by chef Guy Fieri, then you’re in the right place. You can easily make these nachos at home in just 4 main steps.
3. Jamie Oliver’s Ricotta Fritters– Jamie Oliver’s ricotta fritters are the dream of every cheese lover. They are made with simple ingredients and the best part about these fritters are they are crispy on the outside yet creamy on the inside.
4. Jamie Oliver’s Crackin’ Crab Briks– Jamie Oliver’s recipe for the crackin’ crab briks is a perfect one to make for parties and dinner appetizers. The salad & salsa perfectly complements the crispy briks.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Refried Beans?
- Stockpot – In a stockpot, cook the soaked beans with garlic, epazote, and cold water until tender.
- Skillet – In a large skillet, sauté onions until brown and cook the peppers until crispy.
- Bowl – Soak the pinto beans in a bowl, covered with cool water for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Potato Masher – Mash the prepared beans using a potato mixture to get a smooth texture.
- Knife – Slice the onion and mince the peppers with a sharp knife.
- Chopping Board – Slice the veggies on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Spatula – Combine the mixture well with a spatula until you reach desired consistency.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Refried Beans?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||2 Hours||2 Hours 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Refried Beans?
- Pinto Beans – I have used pinto beans for the recipe as they have a creamy texture and more earthy flavor.
- Garlic Cloves – Add garlic cloves while cooking beans to add an intense flavor.
- Dried Epazote – I have used epazote in the beans to give the dish a strong, acidic, and lemony flavor.
- Cold Water – Cook the beans in a pot containing water until tender.
For Refried Beans
- Lard – Melt lard in a skillet for refried beans as they provide a rich flavor.
- Onions – Sautéing onions will add deeper flavor and richer color to refried beans.
- Serrano Chili Pepper – Cook minced serrano chili pepper to add slight sweetness and smoky flavor with the crunchy and crisp texture to the dish.
- Chipotle Pepper – The chipotle pepper will add smokiness and sweetness when cooked to the recipe.
- Kosher Salt – Sprinkle salt to enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Refried Beans
1. Okay! Let’s Begin
Add pinto beans to a large bowl and cover with cool water (at least a few inches above the beans as they will expand). Soak for at least 6 hours or overnight uncovered at room temperature.
Once beans are soaked, drain and set aside. Chop onion into slices and cut serrano and chipotle pepper into strips.
2. I Am Cooking The Peppers
In a stockpot, transfer the soaked beans with garlic, epazote, and cold water. Place this mixture over medium heat for two hours.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add lard to melt over medium heat. Add chopped onions and salt. Cook until they turn brown for 15 minutes.
Once done, add serrano pepper and chipotle powder, cook it for another one minute.
3. Mix-Mix The Mix
Once everything is cooked, transfer the beans mixture and mash them using a potato masher.
Combine the mixture accordingly. Mash the mixture vigorously until it reaches the preferred consistency. Season it with salt and mix well.
Put on a serving plate and serve.
|Saturated Fat||5.2 g|
|Vitamin A||22.6 iu|
|Vitamin C||4.5 mg|
How Will Chef John’s Refried Beans Look And Taste Like?
There’s nothing quite like a bowl of refried beans. They’re hearty, filling, and packed with flavor. And when made right, they’re downright irresistible.
Stovetop-cooked beans will lend softer and more flavorful. Whichever method you choose, be sure to cook the beans until they’re nice and soft – this will make them easier to mash later on.
Chef John’s Refried Beans Recipe
- Potato Masher
- Chopping Board
- 1 pound Soaked Pinto Beans
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- ½ teaspoon Dried Epazote
- 8 cups Cold Water
For Refried Beans
- ½ cup Lard
- 1½ cups Diced Onions
- 2 tablespoons Serrano Chili Pepper (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- Add pinto beans to a large bowl and cover with cool water for at least 6 hours or overnight uncovered at room temperature.
- Once beans are soaked, drain and set aside.
- Chop onion into slices and cut serrano and chipotle pepper into strips.
- In a stockpot, transfer the soaked beans with garlic, epazote, and cold water.
- Place this mixture over medium heat for two hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add lard to melt over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and salt. Cook until they turn brown for 15 minutes.
- Once done, add serrano pepper and chipotle powder, cook it for another one minute.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are refried beans?
Refried beans are simply beans that have been cooked and then mashed. The name “refried” comes from the fact that the beans are usually fried in oil before being mashed, though this isn’t always the case.
What type of bean is best for making refried beans?
Pinto beans are the most popular type of bean used for making refried beans, but black beans and red kidney beans are also popular choices. The key is to use a type of bean that will soften up well when cooked.
How do you cook refried beans?
The beans should be cooked until they’re soft, and then seasoned with garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Once they’re seasoned to taste, they can be mashed by hand or with a food processor. Some people also like to fry the beans in oil before mashing them, but this isn’t necessary.
Can I make refried beans ahead of time?
Yes, you can make refried beans ahead of time and reheat them when you’re ready to eat. Simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat them in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
When it comes to making Chef John’s refried beans, there are a few key things to keep in mind. Make sure to cook the beans well until they are soft. It will ensure that they mash well and have a good texture.
Season it with spices to give them flavor and make them taste great. By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to make delicious refried beans that everyone will love.