Chef John’s perfect prime rib recipe is the best prime rib to serve on holidays! If you’ve ever carved for a prime rib with a juicy, pink interior, overcooked roast then this recipe is for you.
Start by cooking your prime rib at 450 degrees for exactly 2 hours. Season it with melted butter, salt, pepper, and Herbes de Provence. Turn the oven off and wait for 2 hours without opening the door. Remove the prime rib and slice it into the most perfectly medium-rare meat you’ve seen.
To add a lot of flavor to roast rib, use cherry or apple wood to enhance the beef by adding savory aromas and flavors. You can season the roast rib with any other seasonings of your choice.
In this article, we’ll give you a step-by-step guide on how to make Chef John’s perfect prime rib recipe. This dish is a delicious combination of tender and juicy rib roast, and it’s sure to please everyone at your dinner table. Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Gazpacho
- Chef John’s Au Jus
- Chef John’s Chicken And Rice
- Chef John’s Bread And Butter Pickle
- Chef John’s Quiche Lorraine
- Chef John’s Fried Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chef John’s Pecan Pie
- Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes
- Chef John’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Chef John’s Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib?
- Oven – Roast the prime rib in an oven for three hours for a crisp crust, juicy and tender prime rib.
- Roasting Pan – You will need a roasting pan to roast beef in an oven with a wire rack to let the beef sit above the fat and juice drippings.
- Mixing Bowl – Combine melted butter, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Spatula – Toss the butter mixture with a spatula to avoid inconsistency.
- Wire Rack – A wire rack will allow air to circulate the rib and prevent over-baking.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||4 Hours 20 Minutes||4 Hours 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib?
- Prime Rib Roast – The meat of a prime rib will aid tender and juicy flavor when roasted.
- Butter – The butter mixture will taste saltier when combined with salt and pepper for a soft and crunchy bite.
- Ground Black Pepper – Cover the rib with black pepper for piney, citrusy notes, making the bolder versions of the recipe.
- Herbes de Provence – Herbes de Provence will give thyme and rosemary flavor with the blend of fennel, bay leaf, chervil, savory, basil, and marjoram.
- Kosher Salt – Coat the salt to balance and enhance the flavors of the roasted prime rib.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib
1. The Basics
Place prime rib roast on a roasting pan and bring it to room temperature for two hours. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450º.
Bones don’t add flavor, but they regulate temperature, increasing the amount of tenderness until you get your finished roast.
2. Season It well
Prime rib has plenty of flavors, so there’s no need to add more than a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Combine melted butter, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence in a small bowl and mix until well blended.
Spread the melted butter mixture evenly over the entire roast. Season roast generously with kosher salt.
3. Roast The Roast Rib
Roast for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º and cook for about 1 hour and 30 minutes more for medium rare. Remove the roast from the oven, and rest for 20 minutes.
Slice the roast crossways and serve on a platter with the ribs with the sauce of your choice.
How Will Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib Look And Taste Like?
A well-cooked prime rib is juicy and full of flavor. The outside is colored like deep caramel, while the edges have a soft crust, leaving the meat moist and melting.
Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib Recipe
- 1 Prime Rib Roast
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Place prime rib roast on a roasting pan and bring it to room temperature for 2 hours. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450º.
- Combine melted butter, black pepper, and Herbes de Provence in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Spread the melted butter mixture evenly over the entire roast. Season roast generously with kosher salt.
- Roast for 30 minutes, reduce the temperature, and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes more for medium rare.
- Turn the oven off and leave the roast with the door closed for 2 hours.
- To serve, slice the roast crossways. Serve on a platter with the ribs with the sauce of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do I serve with prime rib?
You can serve creamy and buttery potatoes with juicy meat. Add in some roasted cauliflower or brussels sprouts for a balanced meal.
Do I need to season it with salt and pepper?
Prime rib is so delicious that you don’t need to add anything to make it tastier. But when we say season with salt and pepper, it means to coat the prime rib with a layer of kosher salt.
How to make sure that your prime rib is tender?
Roast your prime rib at medium temperature, remove it when it reaches 125º F, and let it rest for about 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. Allow it to rest for 20 minutes for the most tender, juicy prime rib.
Do you oil prime rib before seasoning?
Rub the oil on all sides of the prime rib, then sprinkle with the herbs and spices, pressing it into the meat with your hands.
It’s not as hard as you might think – all you need is patience and a lot of love for good food. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be serving up a prime rib that will make your friends and family drool with envy.