Chef John’s pecan pie recipe is the perfect example of why this dessert is so beloved. This classic Southern pecan pie is made with brown sugar and corn syrup filling, then topped with roasted pecans.
Start by baking the pie crust and roasting the pecan halves. Now whisk in butter, bourbon, three types of sugar, milk, salt, and eggs until smooth. Pour the mixture over the pecan’s halves which are spread over the pie. Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown.
If you are a chocolate lover, add some chocolate chips or chunks to the filling. You could also stir in some instant coffee powder for a mocha flavor.
Stir in some diced apples or bananas along with the pecans. For a more decadent version, top the pie with whipped cream or ice cream before serving.
Let’s dive into how to make Chef John’s pecan pie. While scrolling down, you will find the ingredients and equipment needed to make Chef John’s pecan pie. Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Salmon Cakes
- Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib
- Chef John’s Chicken And Rice
- Chef John’s Bread And Butter Pickle
- Chef John’s Quiche Lorraine
- Chef John’s Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
- Chef John’s Stuffed Pepper
- Chef John’s Au Jus
- Chef John’s Gazpacho
- Chef John’s Meatballs
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Pecan Pie?
- Oven – Microwave your pecan pie for fort-five minutes until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Saucepan – Stir a whole stick of butter and different types of sugars in a saucepan to make a sugar mixture.
- Whisk – Whisk in the ingredients and egg yolk until well combined and blended.
- Spatula – Toss the pie filling over the pecan halves until well coated with a spatula.
- Mixing Bowl – Combine the ingredients in bowls and stir well until smooth texture forms.
- Wire Rack – Cool the pecan pie on a wire rack for about an hour before serving.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Pecan Pie?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||1 Hour 55 Minutes||2 Hours 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Pecan Pie?
- All-purpose Flour – For a tender and flaky crust, use all-purpose flour.
- Pie Crust – Bake your pie crust in the oven until golden.
- Pecan – Roast the pecan halves in the oven for a sweet buttery pie.
- Butter – Stir a stick of butter to add richness and a delicious depth of flavor.
- Eggs – Whisk the eggs to bind and add moisture to the filling.
- Milk – Adding milk will help you get a flaky pie and achieve the browning of the crust.
- Corn Syrup – Corn syrup will thicken volume and will add deep flavors to the pie.
- Bourbon – Bourbon will add a bit of a sweeter taste with caramel and vanilla notes to the filling.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract will amp the sweetness with a floral note to the pie filling.
- Salt – A pinch of salt will enhance the other flavors in the filling.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar will give the pie a deep, caramel or toffee-like flavor.
- White Sugar – White sugar will add sweetness, making a versatile ingredient in baking the pie.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Pecan Pie
1. Let’s Go
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the pie crust in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly golden.
Now spread pecans out on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until lightly toasted beforehand for 7 to 8 minutes.
2. Making Of The Filling
In a saucepan, stir a whole stick of butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
Toss a bit of all-purpose flour, milk, vanilla extract, salt, and bourbon. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, constantly whisking with a whisk until you see it bubbling around the outside. Remove from heat and cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Bust three large eggs and whisk them into a large bowl. Slowly drizzle the sugar mixture into eggs, whisking constantly.
3. Baking Of The Pie
Spread roasted pecans halves in the bottom of the baked crust. Pour the sugar mixture over the nut and gently stir with a spatula to coat the nuts.
Bake the prepared pie in the oven until the crust is golden brown and the pie is set for 40 to 45 minutes.
|Total Fat||32 g|
How Will Chef John’s Pecan Pie Look And Taste Like?
Chef John’s pecan pie has a rich, sweet, and nutty flavor that will please any pecan pie lover. The filling is made with brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, and plenty of pecans. The flaky crust is the perfect vessel for this delicious filling and makes for a decadent dessert.
Chef John’s Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 9-inch Pie Crust (unbaked)
- 2 cups Pecan (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 3 large Eggs (whisked)
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Corn Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup White Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the pie crust in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Now spread the pecans out on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until lightly toasted beforehand for 7 to 8 minutes.
- In a saucepan, stir in a whole stick of butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
- Toss a bit of all-purpose flour, milk, vanilla extract, salt, and bourbon. 5) Over medium heat, bring it to a boil, constantly whisking with a whisk until you see it bubbling around the outside. Remove from heat and cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bust three large eggs and whisk them into a large bowl. Slowly drizzle the sugar mixture into eggs, whisking constantly.
- Spread roasted pecans halves in the bottom of the baked crust.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the nut and gently stir with a spatula to coat the nuts.
- Bake the prepared pie in the oven until the crust is golden brown and the pie is set for 40 to 45 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need to refrigerate pecan pie?
Homemade pecan pie must be refrigerated after cooking and cooling to prevent the growth of bacteria.
What does pecan pie taste like?
Pecan pie is a mix of sweet, buttery crunch with a nutty, savory taste that will make you want just one more slice.
How to avoid your pecan pie from being runny?
If your pecan pie is runny, it’s likely because you haven’t baked it long enough. So, consider baking it for 60 to 70 minutes at 350F and then leave to cool and set.
How do you know if pecan pie is done?
Take the pie out of the oven, shake the pan or tart tray, and give a slight jiggle in the center. The center should jiggle a little, but it should have some stability. If the pie filling shows horizontal movement on shaking, then it still needs to be done.
The best part of chef John’s pecan pie is the filling. It’s a combination of brown sugar and corn syrup that gives the pie its unique flavor. The key to getting the filling right is to simmer it so that the sugars have time to caramelize, giving the pie its signature deep, rich flavor.