Chef John uses Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes to create mashed potatoes with a perfect balance of creaminess and fluffy texture. The result is delicious Chef John’s mashed potatoes that will please any crowd.
Start by boiling starchy Yukon gold or russet potatoes until they’re nice and soft. Mash them until they’re nice and smooth. Add butter, salt, and pepper to taste for creamy mashed potatoes.
A few more key ingredients can make Chef John’s mashed potatoes recipe unique. Use red potatoes instead of traditional white potatoes to give the dish a slightly sweeter flavor and a beautiful red hue.
You can also add roasted garlic for extra flavor. Add some sour cream and grated Parmesan cheese for an extra flavor boost.
Follow these simple instructions, and you will have fluffy mashed potatoes. This recipe is a great addition to your side dish or adds more variety to your diet. Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Salmon Cakes
- Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib
- Chef John’s Chicken And Rice
- Chef John’s Bread And Butter Pickle
- Chef John’s Quiche Lorraine
- Chef John’s Fried Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chef John’s Pecan Pie
- Chef John’s Au Jus
- Chef John’s Gazpacho
- Chef John’s Meatballs
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes?
- Saucepan – Cook the potatoes in a saucepan with salt water and boil until tender.
- Knife – Slice the potatoes into half and pierce a knife through the cooked potatoes to ensure it is boiled and can be passed smoothly.
- Peeler – Peel the potatoes with the peeler for further processing.
- Chopping Board – Place the chopping under the potatoes before slicing them in half to avoid mess.
- Colander – Pour the cooked potatoes into a colander and drain the water well.
- Potato Masher – A potato masher is needed to crush boiled potatoes for the mashed potatoes recipe until smooth and fluffy.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||25 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes?
- Russet Potatoes – Peel and cut the potatoes in half for the floury, dry, light, and fluffy texture with a hearty skin that is chewy when cooked.
- Whole Milk – Add whole milk in a saucepan to get that fluffy consistency into your mash.
- Butter – Adding butter will help make potatoes’ starchy texture richer and eliminate that “cling” when some potatoes are freshly mashed.
- Salt – Add salt to the water boiling your mashed potatoes for pre-seasoning.
- Ground Black Pepper – Black pepper will add a complex flavor profile of piney, citrusy notes, making the bolder version of the recipe.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes
1. Making Of The Potatoes
Rinse potatoes in water, then drain off the water. Peel them and cut the drained potatoes in half lengthwise.
Place potatoes in a saucepan with salt water and boil until tender for about 20 to 25 minutes. The water should cover the potatoes, and add water depending on the size of the pan.
The potatoes should be softened but should not fall apart. Check by piercing a knife, which should pass through the cooked potatoes without resistance and smoothly.
2. Making Of The Mashed Potatoes
Pour the cooked potatoes into a colander and drain the water very well. Mash cooked potatoes with a potato masher, then add milk and butter.
Continue to mash until smooth and fluffy. Add salt and black pepper until evenly distributed and whisk it for about 15 seconds.
Mash potatoes a little; else, it will break down the starches more and make for a gummy texture. Some hand work or some hand exercise is good. You can add more butter and warm milk to get the desired consistency – like a little more pouring consistency in the mashed potatoes.
|Vitamin C||55 mg|
How Will Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes Look And Taste Like?
Chef John’s mashed potatoes are creamy and flavorful, with just the right amount of salt. They’re fluffy and delicious with a hint of earthy flavor. If you want to add something extra, try topping them with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 large Russet Potatoes (peeled and cut in half lengthwise)
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Rinse potatoes in water, then drain off the water.
- Peel them and cut the drained potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan with salt water and boil until tender for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Check by piercing a knife, which should pass through the cooked potatoes without resistance and smoothly.
- Pour the cooked potatoes into a colander and drain the water well.
- Mash cooked potatoes with a potato masher, then add milk and butter.
- Continue to mash until smooth and fluffy.
- Add salt and black pepper until evenly distributed and whisk it for about 15 seconds.
- Add more butter and warm milk to get the desired consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What makes mashed potatoes fluffy?
We recommend using high-starch, low-moisture potatoes like russets for fluffy mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are made by crushing cooked potatoes into fine particles and then coating those particles in butter and milk or cream.
Which spice is good to add to mashed potatoes?
Season your mashed potatoes recipe with garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, dill weed, parsley and chives. Smooth the remaining mashed potatoes over top of the seasonings layer.
Should I melt the butter before putting it in mashed potatoes?
We recommend not melting butter before stirring it into the potatoes; otherwise, the milk solids and fat will separate. You can add cold butter to your hot potatoes since the butter will melt and distribute the fat and milk solids evenly.
Why don’t you blend mashed potatoes?
Blending potato mash with a hand blender will create the risk of releasing too much starch, creating a gluey, sticky mess.
Chef John’s mashed potatoes are relatively easy and yield delicious results. By following the tips and tricks in this article, you’ll be well on your way to creating a dish that will wow your family and friends. So, what are you waiting for? Get cooking!