Savor the flavor of this traditional Spanish soup. Chef John’s gazpacho recipe is a cold and refreshing soup made from vegetables and seasonings.
It is perfect for a summer day when you want something light and refreshing but still satisfying. Let’s dive into the recipe.
To make gazpacho, firstly, combine tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, jalapeno, and garlic in the bowl. Season with herbs and spices.
Make a fine puree of cherry tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
Mix both mixtures. Take ⅓ cup of the mixture to turn it into a smooth soupy base. Return to the bowl and mix it well.
Flavorful gazpacho is ready. Refrigerate for two hours before serving. Chef John keeps this soup smooth and nice by blending all the ingredients into the blender.
He prefers a few chunks of veggies mixed in a fine puree that gives a lovely texture.
Moreover, he recommends using sweet summer tomatoes. They elevate the taste of gazpacho to a whole new level.
Give this recipe a try and experience the traditional Spanish recipe. To know the details, just go through the complete article. We’ve also included nutritional information. Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
What's In The Post
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Salmon Cakes
- Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib
- Chef John’s Pecan Pie
- Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes
- Chef John’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Chef John’s Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
- Chef John’s Stuffed Pepper
- Chef John’s Fried Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chef John’s Quiche Lorraine
- Chef John’s Meatballs
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Gazpacho?
- Bowl – Combine all the ingredients to make gazpacho in the large bowl.
- Blender – Blend the ingredients into the blender to make a smooth puree.
- Strainer – Use a strainer to strain the puree.
- Plastic Wrap – Cover the bowl with plastic wrap to refrigerate for a few hours.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Gazpacho?
|Preparation Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|45 Minutes||2 Hours||2 Hours 45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Gazpacho?
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes are the base for gazpacho. You got to use sweet vine-ripened summer tomatoes for this recipe.
- Olive Oil – Extra-virgin olive oil is always best to add to soup recipes.
- Worcestershire Sauce – A small splash of Worcestershire sauce to bring the tangy and savory flavors from the soup.
- Lime Juice – Add extra zing to the soup with lime juice.
- Balsamic Vinegar – For a strong tart taste, balsamic vinegar is perfect to add.
- Red Bell Peppers – Gazpacho is incomplete without crunchy bell peppers. They add nice color to the stew. You can choose yellow or green bell peppers too.
- Cucumber – Juicy cucumbers add a layer of fresh flavors.
- Green Onion – Some chopped green onions for peppery flavors. When mixed with the puree, it mellows in the soup nicely when it chills.
- Jalapeno Pepper – Jalapeno gives gazpacho a little bit of heat and a little bit of bitterness.
- Basil – Fresh basil gives a beautiful herby final touch to gazpacho.
- Garlic – You will love the garlic fragrance in the gazpacho as it chills.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Blend some cherry tomatoes to make a red color puree that gives gazpacho its true look.
- Oregano – Sprinkle oregano for a salty and savory flavor.
- Cumin – Adding cumin to gazpacho gives earthy notes.
- Cayenne Pepper – Let’s spice up the gazpacho with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Salt – Balance the taste of gazpacho with salt.
- Black Pepper – Don’t forget to season gazpacho with black pepper. It gives a good finish.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Gazpacho
1. Season Vegetables
Take a large bowl. Combine diced tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, jalapeno, and garlic.
Season the mixture with salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Keep it aside.
2. Make The Puree
Combine cherry tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in the blender. Blend until smooth. The soupy base is ready.
Make a fine puree. Through the strainer, strain the puree into the tomato-cucumber mixture.
Straining is important as it’s going to catch the little seeds and skin particles which we will avoid. Mix well to combine.
3. Combine Everything
Take ⅓ cup of the mixture and blend into the blender to make a puree. Note here, that this step is optional. If you want chunky soup, then skip this step.
Return the puree mixture to the tomato-cucumber mixture. Combine everything together.
Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for two hours.
4. Season And Serve
Gazpacho soup is ready. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve in soup bowls and enjoy.
How Will Chef John’s Gazpacho Look And Taste Like?
Chef John’s gazpacho recipe is a smooth cold soup with a lot of flavors. It has a chunky texture with all the veggies and runny consistency with flavored puree.
The tomatoes add a nice red color to the soup. On top of that, the seasoning enhances the savory and spicy flavors.
Serve this garlic-infused cold soup with your favorite bread recipes.
Chef John’s Gazpacho Recipe
- Plastic Wrap
- 4 Tomatoes (diced)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup Red Bell Peppers (diced)
- ½ Cucumber (diced)
- ¼ cup Green Onion (minced)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Basil
- 1 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pinch Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, jalapeno, and garlic in the bowl.
- Season the mixture with salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Into the blender, combine cherry tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Strain the puree into the tomato-cucumber mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Take ⅓ cup of the mixture and blend into the blender to make a puree.
- Return the puree mixture to the tomato-cucumber mixture. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for two hours.
- Gazpacho soup is ready. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What’s gazpacho made of?
Gazpacho is a Spanish soup recipe. It’s made of uncooked tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, water, vinegar, onions, cucumbers, and green peppers.
Why is gazpacho served cold?
Gazpacho is a traditional Spanish recipe that is always served cold. The coolness of the soup will give you a comforting feeling in the hot summer.
What do you eat gazpacho with?
You can pair gazpacho with garlic herb bread, lentil salad, caesar salad, Mexican salad, and also with sandwiches.
Does gazpacho taste better the next day?
If you make gazpacho the day before, you may notice that it tastes better the next day. This is because tomatoes are acidic and will cause the soup to spoil if left at room temperature for too long.
If you’re not planning to eat your gazpacho right away, store your soup in the refrigerator and serve it within a few days of making it.
Is it necessary to peel tomatoes for gazpacho?
There is no need to peel tomatoes for gazpacho. You can use unpeeled tomatoes for gazpacho.
This gazpacho recipe is perfect for a summertime lunch or light dinner. It’s fresh, flavorful, and easy to make.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up any extra tomatoes you have lying around. Give it a try the next time you’re looking for a simple, satisfying meal.