Chef John’s au jus is a French gravy dish that is made with beef broth. It is a classic French gravy, made from slow-cooked beef broth that you can serve with potatoes and vegetables.
Making au jus gravy is quite easy. All you need to do is melt the beef dripping from the cooking pan. Add beef broth and all-purpose flour. Combine everything well. Bring it to a boil. It’s ready.
A perfect au jus gravy is thick in texture. For that, the chef uses all-purpose flour so you get a perfect consistency. For more intense flavors, you can use plenty of flavors such as onions, garlic, and thyme. The choice is yours!
Love this French dip? Pair it with your dinner dishes and enjoy a luscious meal. For a detailed recipe, read through the article. Get nutritional information as well. Check other Chef John’s recipes here.
Other Chef John’s Recipe That You Can Try
- Chef John’s Salmon Cakes
- Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib
- Chef John’s Pecan Pie
- Chef John’s Mashed Potatoes
- Chef John’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Chef John’s Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
- Chef John’s Stuffed Pepper
- Chef John’s Fried Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chef John’s Gazpacho
- Chef John’s Meatballs
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Au Jus?
- Cooking Pan – Cook delicious au jus gravy in the cooking pan.
- Spatula – Stir the gravy consistently with a spatula to ensure perfect cooking.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Au Jus?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||10 Minutes||15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Au Jus?
- Beef Drippings – Melt beef dripping in the cooking pan.
- Beef Broth – Stir in beef broth for making a rich and savory au jus gravy.
- All-Purpose Flour – One tablespoon of all-purpose flour works as a thickening agent for the gravy.
- Salt – Add salt as per your suitable taste. Some want their gravy a bit saltier.
- Black Pepper – Add a mild spiciness to the au jus gravy.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Au Jus
1. Heat Up Cooking Pan
In a cooking pan, melt beef drippings. Whisk in all-purpose flour and stir constantly. Cook until mixture thickens for three minutes.
2. Add Beef Broth
To the same pan, add beef broth and mix well. Now cook the broth on high heat and bring it to a boil.
Season it with salt and black pepper. The recipe is ready.
How Will Chef John’s Au Jus Look And Taste Like?
Chef John’s au jus gravy is thick and rich. It’s savory, mildly spicy, and salty gravy.
This dark brown gravy recipe can pair well with your vegetables. Get ready to make this cozy and flavorful gravy.
Chef John’s Au Jus Recipe
- ¼ cup Beef Drippings
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1½ tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Melt beef drippings in the cooking pan. Stir in flour and mix well.
- Cook until the flour mixture thickens for three minutes.
- Add beef broth to the same pan.
- Cook the broth on a high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chef John’s au jus recipe is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is au jus sauce made of?
Au just sauce is made from beef drippings and beef broth. It’s a flavorful sauce with savory and rich flavors.
What is the difference between beef broth and au jus?
Au jus is made from beef drippings whereas beef broth is made from meat being cooked.
Is jus just gravy?
Yes! Au jus is a gravy recipe.
What is a side of au jus?
Au jus is best for beef recipes. It is also good for dipping your sandwiches.
How do I thicken au jus for gravy?
While making au jus gravy, add one tablespoon of all-purpose flour. It will thicken the gravy.
This au jus recipe is the perfect way to show off your culinary skills and impress your guests. With its rich flavor and tender texture, this dish is sure to please everyone at the table.