Some cuisines in this world are famous for their taste, flavors, ingredients or aroma, but there is one cuisine that we all know which is famous for all the above-mentioned things. This cuisine has its fanbase throughout the globe and people love to eat it. I am talking about Indian Cuisine. This Indian food makes you feel at home every time, even when you are not. Indian food is known for its diverse dishes and preparations. So, what do you guys think about it? Let’s try a famous Indian dish today.
The dish that I am talking about is quite famous all over India. This recipe goes by the name of Chana masala or Chole masala. This is a flavorful recipe consisting of numerous ingredients and fresh herbs and spices that makes it an authentic Indian dish. Once tasted, you all will experience a whole new level of cooking that no other cuisine can provide you.
Let’s start this Chana masala recipe and see how to cook this Indian savory dish at home. However, the procedure is not that hard but needs your proper time to obtain the best taste.
Ingredients for Chana Masala
To Cook White Chick Peas in Pressure Cooker
|Dried White Chickpeas||200 gm|
|Water for Pressure||3 cups|
|Black Tea Bags||2 pc|
Ingredients for Gravy
|Ginger-Garlic Paste||½ tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ tsp.|
|Chili Powder||½ tsp|
|Garam Masala||¼ tsp.|
|Green Chilies||2-3 slit|
|Chickpeas Stock||1 cup|
Spices to make Chole Masala Powder
|Black Cardamoms||2 pc.|
|Black Pepper||3-4 pc.|
|Bay Leaf||1 pc.|
|Carom Seeds||¼ tsp.|
|Coriander Seeds||1 tsp.|
|Fennel Seeds||1 tsp.|
|Dry Pomegranate Seeds||½ tsp.|
|Coriander Leaves||½ cup|
|Ginger||½ inch julienne|
So the ingredients list is ready and you may find it a little long. But trust me, after all your hard work and cooking, you will have a delicious dish that you will be lost in its taste.
How Much Time Will it Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|9 hours||45 minutes||9 hours 45 minutes|
The timings mentioned above include the time you need to soak the chickpeas into the water overnight. If you want to make this recipe, you have to soak the chickpeas for about 9 hours or even overnight and the next day you can cook it.
After your chickpeas have been soaked and soft enough, you can proceed further and start cooking. Upon cooking, this chana masala will be so aromatic that even your neighbors will enquire about what’s cooking in your kitchen. So, let’s get into it and know how to make this chana masala at home.
Chana Masala Recipe
- As I said before, rinse and soak the chickpeas overnight in ample water. Add enough water after soaking it as the chickpeas increase in bulk. Rinse the chickpeas that are soaked.
- Traditionally-dried amla (Indian gooseberries) are added to give the chickpeas a dark hue. These often give the stock a slight sourness. Then add one black tea bag if you do not have dried amla.
- Add the chickpeas and the 3 to 4 dried amla bits or one black tea bag into a pressure cooker. Add water, too.
- Season the chickpeas for 12 to 15 whistles with salt and pressure. It is important to cook the chickpeas well and to soften them. After you crush it with a spoon, the chickpeas should be tender. When you eat it the chickpeas shouldn’t give you a taste.
Roasting the Spices
- Take all the spices for the chole mentioned above masala powder in a saucepan and start roasting them at a low flame.
- Stir regularly and roast the spices until they are browner. Don’t get them burnt. Even after they get fragrant, you have to go past a stage to roast them and they get browned rather than what is normally the standard.
- Let cool these roasted spices and then finely grind them in a coffee grinder or dry grinder.
- The chana will be cooked by now. In the Saucepan (white chana), you can see a richer brown hue. Take out from stock the amla bits that would have tendered by now and the teabag as well.
Making Chole Masala
- In a pan or any other cooking utensil like Kadai, heat the oil. Connect the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw scent fades.
- Now, add the onions you have chopped earlier and saute until the onions turn light brown in color or translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and saute them until they melt and the oil begins to leave the masala’s sides.
- Add the chole masala to it, along with the red chili powder, turmeric powder & garam masala powder.
- Drop the dry masala and introduce the sliced green chilies.
- Add the chole, which is fried. Only stir well.
- Apply salt. Then add the stock in which the chana has been boiled to around 1 to 1.25 cups. Water may also be added instead.
- Stir the chana and mask it.
To Cook Chole Masala
- Simmer on a flame that is low to medium. Without the cover, you can also cook.
- It would thicken and reduce the gravy. Just mix those chickpeas, which will make the gravy thicken.
- Simmer before the quality you prefer is obtained. This chickpea curry is not thin in consistency, but medium or dried inconsistency.
- Garnish it with ginger julienne and some coriander leaves.
Finally, your Chana Masala is ready. Enjoy this recipe with cumin rice, Poori (fried Indian Bread) or Naan (Indian Bread) and it tastes delicious.
Nutritional Breakdown of Chana Masala
The nutritional breakdown of this recipe is done in the table below. Have a look over it and know the exact details of what you consume.
How to Make Chana Masala at Home | Video
The video of this recipe is linked down below. Watch it to know about the full recipe and see how to make it perfect.
I hope you guys like this Chana Masala recipe and please tell us your reviews and experiences in the comments box below. Till then, stay safe and stay tuned for more recipes.