Ever thought of those green tops of carrots when you bring some carrots home? Some of you may throw them away and don’t even consider them for cooking purposes, while some people use them as well. For those who don’t know, tose carrot greens are also edible and can make some delicious recipes. From now onwards, I am sure you will not throw away those green carrot tops after this recipe.
Today, I have brought you guys a very simple and effective recipe that can be made from those green carrot tops that you don’t even keep in your kitchen or refrigerator. This recipe is called carrot top pesto. This pesto is a green sauce with some tangy and salty flair that makes your regular food spicier and interesting. You can have this green pesto with any of the food items that you want to have. But it suits best with pasta, lasagna and even sandwiches. Enjoy its taste with any of these and make some great combinations.
The carrot greens also have various nutritional benefits. They are rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin c and potassium. Having so many healthy and important nutritional elements is also why we should consider this simple carrot top pesto in our diet.
So are you guys ready? Let’s start the preparations and see how this carrot top pesto is made at home with some common ingredients lying in our refrigerator.
Ingredients for Carrot Top Pesto
|Fresh Lime Juice||2 tsp.|
|Lemon zest||1 tsp.|
|Carrot Tops||1-2 bunch|
|Green Onions||4 pc.|
|Salt and Pepper||To taste|
This was the ingredients list that you will need to make this carrot top pesto recipe at home. If you don’t have any of them, grab them from your nearest market. They are easily available.
How Much Time Will it Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
It’s good to see that this recipe only takes about 20 minutes to get complete. Such timings make it more convenient and easy to make these kinds of recipes anytime e want.
Now, after knowing about all the necessary details and information about this recipe. It’s finally when I will tell you the whole recipe and procedure of making this carrot top pesto recipe at home. Follow the steps given below to make the best carrot top pesto.
Carrot Top Pesto Recipe
- To blanch carrot tops: cut bits of thick stem. Get it to a boil with a kettle of water. With ice cubes and cold water in it, prepare an oversized tub. After the carrot tops have cooked, return them to the pot. Stir regularly, cooking for about 3 minutes or until soft and bright green. Remove the hot water directly from the pot, rinse and apply the carrot tops to the ice cube bowl to end the cooking process.
- Durian out the excess water from the carrot tops and place them on a dry plate. Meanwhile, you can do the remaining tasks.
- Add all the ingredients to the food processor via the walnuts (if they are used). Blend up with small bits of carrot tops until rough paste forms. You may need to stop frequently to wipe down the sides of the blender.
- Add the olive oil until combined, a tablespoon at a time. When desired, season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice to taste.
- Let it cool and store it in an airtight container. It can be stored for a few days. The color of this sauce can change but that’s all normal.
You are done! Your carrot top pesto is ready to be served along with your favorite food to enhance its taste. Try this green sauce and tell us how was its taste.
Nutritional Breakdown of Carrot Top Pesto
It’s always important to know what nutritional elements are you consuming. Their values and quantity also matter a lot. Below is the table which gives a detailed breakdown of the nutritional elements of this recipe.
How to Make This Carrot Top Pesto at Home | Video
Making this carrot top pesto is quite easy, but if you need assistance or help, then here is a video you can watch. It will help you know the details and some other valuable information that could help make this recipe.
I hope you have liked this recipe and will surely make this recipe at home. Please let us know your valuable comments and experiences about this recipe in the comments section below. Till then, stay tuned for more recipes like these.